January 2013 Moms
Options

It's CD Tuesday! *Cloth Diaper Check-in*

Hi Ladies!

GTKY: Whats your favorite diaper? Have you found any you hate?

Questions for the other ladies?

ETA: Edited name of post to (hopefully) minimize confusion. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: It's CD Tuesday! *Cloth Diaper Check-in*

• Options

Love Pampers, Like Huggies, Don't like Luvs, Really don't like Parent's Choice.

How about wipes? I only like Huggies wipes, Who knew that there was so much difference!? :-)

• Options
    erkieerkie member

GTKY: Whats your favorite diaper? 

We are loving the thirsties duo wraps and GMD prefolds.

Have you found any you hate?

Not a fan of Kawaiis or osocozy prefolds. 

Seems silly, but how do you know when to move up a snap on the rise? Maybe it's just one of those things that you will know when you see it? The waist snaps are obvious because they get too tight, but it seems like we should be moving up on the rise soon... 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Love Pampers. Like luvs. Not a fan of Huggies...but my absolute fav believe it or not is Target store brand go figure 
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    Oops, I just realize CD was for cloth.. sorry!
  • Options

Love my Rumparooz - just got four more in the mail today.  Also liking a Fuzzibunz Elite I got at a consignment sale that was barely, if ever, used.  Not a big fan of some BumGenius AIO but I think they're just old - also bought used.

My LO (7 weeks) had to go to the second row of snaps this week.  We started on the smallest row last Monday but by Wednesday had had some leaks and after trouble-shooting, I figured that that was the problem.   

Do you have a specific budget for your cloth?  I've only spent $150 so far and have 19 CD but six were gifts and most of the rest were used.  I know we'll need more as we go along but would love to keep the total cost down to $300.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    erkieerkie member
    imageChappy_jr:

Do you have a specific budget for your cloth?  I've only spent $150 so far and have 19 CD but six were gifts and most of the rest were used.  I know we'll need more as we go along but would love to keep the total cost down to $300.

Nope, no set budget. Not going to go crazy buying lots of diapers, but we will buy what we need. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I like Bum Genius best.

The one I hate: Sometimes the Alvababies are too big sometimes they fit. It is so weird.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I love my Bumgenius diapers.  I have both the 4.0s and Freetimes and love them both.  I need to get more though, because with both boys in these diapers, I'm doing laundry everyday and totally miss my every other day routine.

I haven't tried a whole lot of different diapers, but the ones I didn't like were the thirsties, bumkins, and fuzzibuns I'm conflicted on.  Thirsties were just waaaaay too thick (although I love the covers, just not the pockets or fitteds).  Bumkins I could never get them to not leak.  Tried adjusting the inserts and sizing, didn't matter, they still leaked something awful.  Fuzzibuns I liked the fit and they never leaked, but they were a pain in the butt to stuff.  I'm all about making my life easier! 

Jonathan Jeremy~12/02/2010,  BFP#2~M/C @ 11wks 4 days,  BFP #3~CP @ 4 wks 3 days,  
    Simon Randall~01/29/2013, Grayson Paul~10/03/2014
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Oct'14 January Siggy Challenge - Snow Fails 

• Options
    imageungraceful13:

I like Bum Genius best.

The one I hate: Sometimes the Alvababies are too big sometimes they fit. It is so weird.

I agree about the Alvas. They are so inconsistent. I'm about to throw out one of mine (not really, I can't do it) because it leaks every time. It's a dud, I swear. 

• Options

GTKY: Whats your favorite diaper? 

I just recently bought 4 tots bots tini fit diapers and absolutely love them! They fit our skinny legged little one great and haven't had any leaks! 

Have you found any you hate?

I have only used my NB diapers so far but my lil joeys are my least favorite because she is starting to leak through them and the fit has never really been great since her legs are skinny. 

none at this time! 

• Options

My favorite CD is bumgenius 4.0 (although I have only tried BG free times, Flip system, and fuzzibuns).

My least favorite is fuzzibuns due to more difficult stuffing and pilling of fabric (I love some of the colors though).

Question- what detergent do you use for your CD? I make a detergent of borax, washing soda, and ivory soap but am worried that I may need something stronger. I need a low sudsing detergent due to front loader and I shouldn't really use bleach because I have a septic system/well water.  

• Options
    imageerkie:

Seems silly, but how do you know when to move up a snap on the rise? Maybe it's just one of those things that you will know when you see it? The waist snaps are obvious because they get too tight, but it seems like we should be moving up on the rise soon... 

I was wondering this the other day...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagebjlucas1:

My favorite CD is bumgenius 4.0 (although I have only tried BG free times, Flip system, and fuzzibuns).

My least favorite is fuzzibuns due to more difficult stuffing and pilling of fabric (I love some of the colors though).

Question- what detergent do you use for your CD? I make a detergent of borax, washing soda, and ivory soap but am worried that I may need something stronger. I need a low sudsing detergent due to front loader and I shouldn't really use bleach because I have a septic system/well water.  

Soap will cause buildup, so I'd scratch that. When I first CD'd my DD, I used borax, washing soda, and oxiclean. When she was around 9-10 months though, it wasn't enough to truly get the stink out, so we switched to Tide.

I've really only used two types of CD, and I like both. For DS, I use prefolds tri-folded into thirsts duo wraps. (I was able to use these with DD until she was 5 months because her waist was so tiny. I'm thinking I'm not going to be able to go quite as long with DS). For DD, I use Flips, which I've been fairly happy with. Several months ago, she was leaking out all the time, which I thought was because the elastic in the covers was shot. But I think I've come to find that it's because she's a heavy wetter. Silly me.

Anyway, my question is--has anyone started using cloth at night? I can't remember when I started with DD. DS hates to be wet, and right now, at nighttime, I can go a few feeds without changing him in a disposable.  

I am convinced that coffee is God's gift to mothers.

BabyFruit Ticker       
    **  DD-5.30.11 ** DS-1.15.13 ** #3 EDD - 9.4.14 ** 

• Options

I love kawaiis. I didn't care for the kissaluvs (thankfully they were given to me so I didn't spend any money on them).

What's your wash/dry routine look like? I've been rinsing in warm water, washing in cold with an extra rinse cycle and I alternate between line drying and drying on low (depending on how much time I have)...
  • Options
    imageLovelyLou23:

Anyway, my question is--has anyone started using cloth at night? I can't remember when I started with DD. DS hates to be wet, and right now, at nighttime, I can go a few feeds without changing him in a disposable.  

Yes, I've been CD at night for about a month now. LO still wakes every 3-5 hours so I just change him when he wakes to eat... He's always pretty wet so I think I'd be changing him even if he was in disposables. 

• Options
    Favorite diaper? Thirsties duo AIO

Least Favorite? My Alva newborn pockets...waaaaay too hard to stuff! lol

When to change the rise snaps: ditto to pp but also if the legs are getting too tight...our LO has chunky thighs and they were leaving MAJOR red marks. Moving to the next rise helped fix that.

What do we wash with: Tide...saw it recommended multiple times, tried it, it works for us!

Wash routine: cold prewash no detergent, hot wash with Tide to second line, cold rinse, extra rinse
    imageimageAnniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I love my Thirsties pockets and prefolds, like my Bumgenius AIOs, and tolerate my Bumgenius pockets.

I rinse poops out as I change him and then just wash all the diapers on a regular wash cycle with Tide free and clear detergent.
    IVF/ICSI #1 - BFP, DS born Jan 2013
    IVF/ICSI #2 - BFP, DD born Feb 2015
    IVF FET - BFP, due April 2017

• Options

imageLovelyLou23:

We CD at night. I use BG 4.0 with a regular insert plus a hemp insert. It feels dry in the morning with the stay dry lining and hemp is super absorbant.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - (B9PH)

Lilypie - (0YVF)
     TTC since 11/2009; Lap/HSG/Hysteroscopy: 5/2011 (endometriosis - removed; endocervical polyp - removed; high pressure in bilateral tubes - cleared)

BFP #1: 8/4/11; DS1 born sleeping on 11/16/11 at 19w1d

BFP # 2: 5/7/12, EDD 1/10/13, DS2 born 1/4/13

BFP # 3: 11/8/13, EDD 7/17/14, mmc 10wks

BFP # 4: 5/16/14, EDD 1/15/15, praying for our 2nd rainbow baby 

• Options
    Favourite is AMP OS Duo, it makes up 90 of our stash. I didn't mind Kissaluv fitteds, but haven't found them nessessary yet.

We have spent around 400 for our stash, but I bought nearly everything new. My budget is 500. I want enough do that they last as long as possible, we are hoping to have 4 kids.

We CD at night from the beginning, which was actually around week 2. At first a bamboo booster alone was enough. Around one month we started using actual inserts. Just this week we now use both the insert and booster, but DD has also been sleeping 7 to 8 hours at night hallelujah. DD is 8 weeks old.

For the wash we use original tide. It was recommended to us by the owner of AMP so I figured it should work. We do a rinse then wash and extra spin, all in cold water. We don't have any detergent smell, but if we did we'd add an extra rinse. We hang dry covers and throw the inserts and boosters into the drier on medium heat. They end up dry at about the same time.
    PgAL (MC@7w 29/10/11 - lost you before we knew we had you)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageChappy_jr:

No specific budget.  I set out to build a functional stash of what we wanted, but wanted to do that as cost effectively as possible so I bought nearly all of our diapers either as seconds or gently used and instead of setting an overall budget kept a close eye on what I wanted to pay per diaper ($10-$12).  This worked out just fine and I built our whole stash for under $300.

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    imagebjlucas1:

By Ivory soap do you mean grated bar soap or are you talking about flakes?  If it's the soap I would recommend not using that b/c you're likely to end up with buildup, which might be why you're thinking you need something stronger.  I don't know anthing about ivory flakes though.  Maybe that's a different situation.

For the first year I used a homemade soap that was 1c washing soda, 1c borax, and 1/2c oxyclean.  I used 1T in the rinse, 1T in the wash and didn't need an extra rinse b/c it was very clean rinsing (and no bubbles).  I loved it.  Worked great until diapers got worse after DS turned 1 and started eating a lot of table food.  I then went to All F&C powder and have liked that a lot since.

*My Blog*

10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    imageEAMommy:

What's your wash/dry routine look like? I've been rinsing in warm water, washing in cold with an extra rinse cycle and I alternate between line drying and drying on low (depending on how much time I have)...

I would recommend doing a cold rinse first (warm will set stains whereas cold will prevent them.  Also first rinse is just to clean up dipes a bit by getting any extra solids off and rinsing them out a bit.  No need to waste warm water for that.)

Then definitely do a hot wash.  That's important to getting the diapers clean and sanitizing them.

Then an additional cold rinse if necessary.  

I dry on medium or line dry, weather permitting.

*My Blog*

10/50 Read

my read shelf:
  • Options
    imagekittynap:
    imageEAMommy:

I love kawaiis. I didn't care for the kissaluvs (thankfully they were given to me so I didn't spend any money on them).

I do the opposite, rinse with cold wash with hot. I think it's better to use hot water with detergent because it rinses out better. Dry inserts on medium, usually line dry shells in the house, and then throw them in on no heat/fluff if I need them dry quicker.  

Additionally, detergents typically have a minimum temp to work/activate properly.

*My Blog*

10/50 Read

my read shelf:
  • Options

imagePrivacyWanted:
    Re when to move up rise. It is a little hard to explain but where the top of the leg snaps or aplixes in....if it's more in the crotch than on top of the leg then you're probably going to want to move up you'll get a better fit Or if they start showing butt crack Basically if you think gosh this just isn't fitting well..move up

This,  Also if they're not fitting properly anymore you might have leaks which would be another indicator.

*My Blog*

10/50 Read

my read shelf:
  • Options

Whats your favorite diaper? BG4.0

Have you found any you hate? I can't get a good fit from the Charlie Banana or Blueberry that I have.

I went up a rise in snaps for DD about 2 weeks ago, she's a pretty long baby. They were starting to leave really bad marks on her legs so I figured it was a little too tight and the next rise is working fine.

We didn't really set a budget, DD has her diaper changed so often still that CDing saves so much, if I want another diaper I buy it without really worrying.

I use Rockin' Green for detergent and love it, we do cold rinse, hot wash with detergent, hot rinse.

We've been CDing at night from the beginning with no problems. I just a couple weeks ago started using the NB insert with the other insert. 

• Options

GTKY: Whats your favorite diaper?  So far we've only used GMD workhorses with covers, 2 Kawaii P&Ns, and a nb Swaddlebees and I've liked them all.

Have you found any you hate? Not yet, although while I do like the P&Ns, I find them hard to stuff and get the insert to lay flat.  

Questions for the other ladies?  I think I'm finally going to prep my OS diapers today. Our Workhorses are starting to leaving some decent red marks on her thighs, so I'm thinking it's about that time. However, she's probably still only in the 9 lb range, do you think the OS will fit yet if she no longer has the skinny nb legs?

Re budget: We didn't really set a budget for CDs, but my goal was to not buy anything full price -- and so far I've done that minus some nb Alva's I just bought. (I'm very proud of snagging my new BG 4.0s for only $12.) 

BFP 5.21.12 ~~ Born 1.28.13
    BFP 8.14.15 ~~ Due 4.22.16
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagerunlong3:

Questions for the other ladies?  I think I'm finally going to prep my OS diapers today. Our Workhorses are starting to leaving some decent red marks on her thighs, so I'm thinking it's about that time. However, she's probably still only in the 9 lb range, do you think the OS will fit yet if she no longer has the skinny nb legs?

It's really going to vary by diaper, but the one-size typically start fitting around 10lbs give or take, and of course it depends on the size of their legs as well.  So, like a 9lb brand new baby might not fit in a OS diaper well, but a 9lb 6wk old might because they're shaped differently.  

DS always had skinny little bird legs and he fit into bumGenius OS diapers just fine when he was around 10lbs.  I'd definitely give it a try.

*My Blog*

10/50 Read

my read shelf:
  • Options
    erkieerkie member
    imagesbevmc09:

imagePrivacyWanted:
    Re when to move up rise. It is a little hard to explain but where the top of the leg snaps or aplixes in....if it's more in the crotch than on top of the leg then you're probably going to want to move up you'll get a better fit Or if they start showing butt crack Basically if you think gosh this just isn't fitting well..move up

This,  Also if they're not fitting properly anymore you might have leaks which would be another indicator.

Thanks ladies. No leaks and no red marks yet. They still seem to fit okay on the smallest rise, so I guess we will stay put until we have problems! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    erkieerkie member
    imagesbevmc09:
    imageEAMommy:

I would recommend doing a cold rinse first (warm will set stains whereas cold will prevent them.  Also first rinse is just to clean up dipes a bit by getting any extra solids off and rinsing them out a bit.  No need to waste warm water for that.)

Then definitely do a hot wash.  That's important to getting the diapers clean and sanitizing them.

Then an additional cold rinse if necessary.  

I dry on medium or line dry, weather permitting.

Interesting. Thirsties just changed their wash recs saying a warm rinse will get stains out better. They say to do a rinse on warm,  wash on hot and an additional warm rinse. My machine only does cold rinses, though...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I really like my grovia AIOs and tots bots. They are the trimmest ones I have... Like my Freetime and kissaluvs. I don't like my pockets much bc I hate stuffing them :/ Have some ecobubs but not loving them bc they are Soo bulky! Like my itti bitti tutto but they are bulky too. That is my dh s biggest complaint about CDs is they are so bulky.

We have been cding overnight since we started cd, around 6 wks. I usually use my pockets for night, blueberry or swaddlebees with 2 inserts. Would like to buy some hemp and charcoal bamboo inserts in the next week or two.

Detergent Tide

Wash cold rinse, hot wash, cold rinse, extra rinse.

Stash spent close to 500... And bought most used :/
  • Options

My favorite diaper is BG 4.0. I like the Freetimes too, but they're a harder to get clean.

I am starting to dislike my Alva Baby diapers more and more. They seem to leak out of the stitching occasionally. I've tried putting them in the dryer to seal the PUL, still leaking. I'm out of ideas. 

• Options
    I have loved reading everyone's responses. We haven't started using our cloth diapers yet, but I plan to soon. Especially once I run out of the disposables that we were given! I have the bum genius free times and the Bumkins allinone's.

I have a question for you guys, how did you prep your diapers before you started using them?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagemiss.brittany:
    I have loved reading everyone's responses. We haven't started using our cloth diapers yet, but I plan to soon. Especially once I run out of the disposables that we were given! I have the bum genius free times and the Bumkins allinone's. I have a question for you guys, how did you prep your diapers before you started using them?

Depends on what you have. The Freetimes are microfiber, so you just need to wash them once before use. Anything that is natural fibers (cotton/hemp/bamboo) you need to wash (separately from your synthetics) 5-6 times to reach full absorbency.  And by "wash" I mean the full wash and dry cycle.

BFP 5.21.12 ~~ Born 1.28.13
    BFP 8.14.15 ~~ Due 4.22.16
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"