Parenting after 35
Options

s/o rewards charts

When's a good time to start one for "chores?" DH doesn't think we should start one until we've conquered PT'ing, but I'm sick of begging DS to tidy his toys or having him think a fairy comes by to do it for him while he's at school.

Thoughts?

Re: s/o rewards charts

• Options

i saw this awesome thing on pinterest the other day... https://pinterest.com/pin/36662184438877737/

i totally wanna do this. and NOW. 

click the pic (blog)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagesuperaunt:

i saw this awesome thing on pinterest the other day... https://pinterest.com/pin/36662184438877737/

That is awesome! We already have a deal where we lock up his toy box - or stash his stuff out of his reach - as a form of punishment and he gets stuff back as a reward, usually potty related. But I like adding the whole 'pick your stuff up or it goes away' wrinkle to it. That way it's part of a system he already understands.

Off to make a sign for above the toybox.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagestever:
    imagesuperaunt:

That is awesome! We already have a deal where we lock up his toy box - or stash his stuff out of his reach - as a form of punishment and he gets stuff back as a reward, usually potty related. But I like adding the whole 'pick your stuff up or it goes away' wrinkle to it. That way it's part of a system he already understands.

Off to make a sign for above the toybox.

That sounds like something that would work. I don't know how many toys your DS has but I have also heard of a "toy library" where the kids can only check out one or two toys and they can't get another one until they put one back. I have heard that this works great and that at some point they get the message and you don't have to do that anymore.

I also think a chores list would work good and IMO he isn't too young. We make DS help pick up his toys and empty the dishwasher already. LOL! My poor kid! We also make the nieces and nephews do things since they were pretty young.

image"width="200px"> Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Stever... I think we'll do something like that for toys once he's PTed... which at this rate will be when he's 15.  So far, it's not a big motivator for PT, so I'm not sure it's worth the effort right now for other stuff. 

But if it works for your boy, I say "Go for it!."  C does sort of "help" pick up toys a little bit before he goes to bed.  Sometimes he's helpful.. most times he just wants to re-dump the blocks, etc.  Hit or miss right now.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I didn't do rewards for cleaning up--but I have taken toys away for short periods of time (1-2 days) for when he has NOT cleaned up. It seems to be working so far.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • Options
    I also don't really do rewards for chores because that is just something we all do as part of our family.  Have you ever asked your son who cleans up things at school?  I can guarantee it's not just his teacher and also guarantee that his teacher doesn't have ot beg him to tidy up.  When my kids begin to complain about having to clean up I ask how they respond when their teacher tells them the same thing and then gently remind them that they should treat their mother perhaps even better than they treat their teacher.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"