Boston Babies
Options

Midwifes and Water Births in MA?

Hi everyone! 

I've just found out I'm pregnant, and am exploring all my options before things get to crazy. Even though I love my OB/GYN, I am definitely interested in the midwifery model of care. Mostly because I am searching for a water birth option. However, I've read that actually giving birth in water is illegal in MA hospitals, although you can labor in water at one of the hospitals on the north shore. Does anyone know if this is true? I live in North Central Mass, so any Boston based options will be too far for me. I've heard some about birthing centers in southern NH, and out in North Hampton, but these may be too far for me too (unless driving an hour to a birth center is normal? I'd think that would be a hellish drive while in labor!) 

Anyways, any advice would be greatly appreciated! Just looking for some information! 

Re: Midwifes and Water Births in MA?

• Options
    I'm delivering at Emerson in Concord. They have a "laboring" tub that is not meant for birthing, but my midwife told me that babies have absolutely been born in the tub and that they are not going to force you out of it if it happens. I looked into birth centers in NH, but my insurance would not pay for them. Depending on where you are, look into AFA OBgyn in Concord (they also have a satellite office in Westford). I've loved them so far!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I delivered at Lowell General with the midwives from Harvard Vanguard in Chelmsford. They are very natural birth friendly and LG has a tub you can labor in. I don't think you can actually deliver in it unless it just happens I had an amazing birth experience and can't recommend Lowell General and the HVMC midwives enough!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Milford Hospital also has tubs.  I haven't had my tour yet so I don't know the details.  I do know that some hospitals won't let you use a laboring tub if your water breaks at home.
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • Options
    Cambridge health alliance has a birth center. They are great! The actual birth center allows you to have the baby in the tub.  The hospital only allows Labor in the tub. The midwives are great and will see you for the big center or hospital. And if anything were to happen during your labor, the birth center is practically connected to the hospital. 
  • Options

Yay for the Emerson Hospital mom who posted.  I'll be delivering there too, in October.

They supposedly have a really progressive birthing center - water births, hypnobirthing, natural birthing, etc.  I use AFA Obstetrics and Gynecology who are right there at Emerson.  They have several nurse midwives and a few obstetricians.  So far, all of the ones I've met are great. 

Most of the women in my family have delivered there too and all had great experiences.

Good luck in your decision!

• Options
    Oh, btw, I'm from North Central Mass. too (Leominster).  Maybe we're neighbors?
  • Options
    Yes! I live in Sterling, but I work in Fitchburg. 
  • Options
    tgg82tgg82 member
    Mount Auburn in Cambridge allows water birth, as does Beverly birth center. These options might be a bit far for you.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Mount Auburn has a birthing center as part of the hospital.  This birthing center's primary staff is midwives.  They do provide expecting mom's both the opportunity for a water birth as well as just laboring in water.  I would highly recommend attending their "Meet the Midwife" night.  It includes a tour of the facility, as well as a question and answer session with some of the Midwifes.  The night I went, I was able to meet like 10 of the midwifes.  I am planning to give birth there in September.
  • Options

I live in Nashua, NH which I'm guessing is close to you from your description. (My husband works in Chelmsford, MA and that's a little less than 30 minutes.) The two hospitals in Nashua don't do water births, Southern New Hampshire Medical or St. Joseph's Hospital. The Birth Cottage in Milford, NH does water births but birthing centers often aren't covered by insurance. The next closest NH hospitals are in Manchester and that's where you will find the one that does water births, Elliott Hospital. I've only ever heard and read glowing reviews for the hospital.

I took a tour today and came away with a very positive impression myself. A drive to Manchester from Nashua will be 25-30 minutes so you should check out what it ends up being from your home.

My first baby came quickly and the second babies in my family sometimes don't have enough time to make it to the hospital so I plan on leaving before I feel like I HAVE to go this time. I will also keep in mind that Southern New Hampshire Medical is 10 minutes away if I can't make it.

A few things I learned from the nurse that gave today's tour, their is a doctor and a nurse next to the tub when you're going to give birth. They have long gloves over their elbows. There is a baby nurse hanging back waiting for the baby. If you have the monitors connected, they can guide you when the time comes to push. If you don't have the monitors, you push when you feel like you need to. (I'm happy about this because my first labor at Southern New Hampshire I hated that they wanted me to wait when I needed to push until the doctor came in and then the doctor would tell me when to push and for how long by looking at the monitors. Unnecessary if you haven't had an epidural IMO.)

You can give birth in their birth tub regardless of whether your water breaks inside or outside of the tub, regardless of whether their is meconium when your water breaks. An exception may be if their is an unusually excessive amount of meconium.

There is only one birth tub in the hospital but it's rare that someone is still using it when another person comes in needing it. There's a bed next to the tub, in case you end up wanting an epi. Also, because the placenta is normally delivered outside of the tub.

Your husband can be in the tub with you if you'd like. You can wear whatever you want inside the tub. You don't need a heparin or saline lock if you don't plan on getting an epidural. Just know that if you change your mind, not having one will mean it takes a little longer.

That's all I can remember. I hope it helps. I'm excited to do a water birth. I've read so many stories and know several friends that have had both types of births. They are so in love with their experience during a water birth and I'm looking forward to less pain, faster and more peaceful birth, and less tearing. 

BTW I asked whether insurance is paying for these water births or giving a hard time. They bill it as a vaginal birth so there is no problem and the insurance never even knows.

• Options
    imageswissmiss23:
    Yes! I live in Sterling, but I work in Fitchburg.nbsp;

Swissmiss23:
    Have you started researching daycare options in our area yet? I'm 13 weeks and starting to think about maternity leave and where my baby will go when I go back to work. Wondering if you've heard anything good about any of the centers or home providers in Leominster or any of the surrounding towns? I commute along the route 2 corridor.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"