June 2011 Moms
Options

Taking LO to Hawaii

We are going on vacation to Hawaii in a couple of months (yea!).  I know some of you have done this as well, and was wondering if there was anything you suggest taking with us (even clothing wise).  There is a big consignment sale here  next week, and I want to try to get as much as I can there.  Any suggestions are appreciated!
Pinterest
My Blog- Life With a Toddler
Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
BFP#2 12/2/12 EDD 8/26/13; No heartbeat at 6w6d on 1/4/13; D&C 1/5/13
My Ovulation Chart
PgAL/PAL Always Welcome

Re: Taking LO to Hawaii

• Options

We are going too!! In May! I'm so excited.

Obviously, we haven't taken the trip yet, but I would think just a lot of t-shirts, shorts, couple pairs of swim trunks, a couple swim diapers (we use cloth ones), a couple light jackets and pairs of pants. We're renting a condo and they're helping us rent a crib for the week. I also want to find him a little life jacket for playing by the water and probably a new sun hat. I think as far as a parasol, we'll probably go to costco when we get there and buy one on site. 

What island are you going to? 

My food & craft blog: Fraises et Tartines

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #2: 9/29/12; EDD 6/8/2013; m/c 10/5/2012

BFP#3: 1/29/13; EDD 10/5/2013 - Baby Claire arrived 10/6/2013
  • Options

We are going to Kaui.  We have only been to Maui before, so we are excited to see a new island.  We will also have a condo, so I am hoping that will help keep some normalcy to Caleb's diet. 

What brand of swim diaper do you have?  We have one that is completely pull up, and I think it would be yucky if he had a BM in it. 

Are you taking your cloth diapers?   I think we will use disposables while we are there, but haven't decided for sure.

Pinterest
    My Ovulation Chart
    PgAL/PAL Always Welcome
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We're definitely taking disposables. I brought cloth one time on a trip that required a flight and decided to never do that again. It was too much of a hassle.

I think the swim diaper we have is Imse Vimse, but it's too small now so I'll have to get him a couple more. It's has snaps on one side, so it's not completely pull up. He never pooped in it, though, so I don't really know how convenient it would be poop-wise. 

We're going to Maui this time (did I say that already?). We went to Kauai a few years ago when it was just the two of us and it's so beautiful! Make sure you go to Waimea Canyon. Try to time it with a clear day. In Waimea, on your way to the Canyon, there's a place called Shrimp Station. It doesn't look like much, but the shrimp there was SO good. I still dream about the Cajun shrimp. Mmmm!

Other than that, food was pretty unimpressive there. Bubba's burgers is good for lunch, but dinner options are pretty limited. Are you going to be in Poipu or another part of the island?

Have you looked into swim vests yet? I never got him one last year, so I haven't looked into them at all. 

My food & craft blog: Fraises et Tartines

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #2: 9/29/12; EDD 6/8/2013; m/c 10/5/2012

BFP#3: 1/29/13; EDD 10/5/2013 - Baby Claire arrived 10/6/2013
  • Options
    So I actually found this board Googling something lol but I just so happen to live in hawaii! Lol. If you plan on spending time anywhere other than the beach bring like what you would normally wear like out to dinner or to go shopping. Contrary to popular belief we wear nice clothes lol. I always see like tourists at nice restaurant in, I think you call the sarongs? We call them pareos. But even though its hawaii we don't roll like that. So you don't feel out of place Make sure you pack more than just beach and ultra casual wear. I hope you have fun! I haven't been to Kauai in years but I loved it when I went its a lot more low key than Oahu where I live.
  • Options

Just got back from a 2-week trip to Maui last night! We had swim dipes with us, used only 3 times when LO played on the pool, otherwise she just wore her bathing suits when at the beach. Her poopy times are more predictable these days so I didn't feel the need to really put swim dipes on her.

Lots of sunscreen, and always a long sleeve swim top on her. I know the baby swimsuits are cute but I was more comfortable she'd have more protection from long sleeves. Hats....sunglasses. It was windy on Maui so she learned to appreciate those glasses and not keep taking them off like she used to.

Plane ride: on the way back, we gate checked the Go Go Babyz and car seat. We bought her a seat so she just sat in the regular seat. She was pretty good with staying buckled plus she was a lot more comfortable versus flying to Maui seating in her carseat. Plus more wiggle room was awesome. She fell asleep lying down in her seat and legs on my lap. 

The thing that was most difficult was when the plane was descending to Maui. She screamed during the time saying "ear ears! owwiee!" Poor baby :( She was not interested in sipping or sucking on lolli or eating anything she was offered. Luckily, it wasn't as bad landing in Seattle as the descent seemed more gradual. She still cried about her ears though.

Oh clothing: we rented a condo for first half of our vacation and so we did laundry every day. Clothes were minimal. 2 dresses, 2 shorts, 4 sleeveless shirts, 1 windbreaker, 1 cardi, 3 long leggings, 3 longsleeves. 1 pair of sandals, 1 running shoes. Oh and bibs of course. 

Have fun!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Sounds like fun! I've never been there though.
  • Options
    Just got back from maui on friday!  Other suggestions are good.  Long sleeve sun protection shirt is a must for a LO. Lots of sunscreen. Hat. Water floaties. B used a vest and those blow up arm things and he could float upright. I never left him by himself, but it helped. If you can buy a seat for the plane I highly suggest it. I do not know how I would have survived if I had to hold him for 6 hours. Lots of snacks for the plane, crayons, coloring book, playdough worked for us and a couple of his toy cars.  Have a great time!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Went to Kauai in Sept. If you have the time, Go to the beach house for dinner. (pricey but worth it)  Best dinner we had on the island. Make reservations ahead of time. We took LO with us and sat outside infront of the ocean. It was nice because when he acted up, one of us walked him on the grass before the beach. Great food and great views!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

imagenic5606:
    Went to Kauai in Sept. If you have the time, Go to the beach house for dinner. (pricey but worth it)  Best dinner we had on the island. Make reservations ahead of time. We took LO with us and sat outside infront of the ocean. It was nice because when he acted up, one of us walked him on the grass before the beach. Great food and great views!!

Thanks for the recomendation!

Pinterest
    My Ovulation Chart
    PgAL/PAL Always Welcome
  • Options

imagenic5606:
    Just got back from maui on friday!  Other suggestions are good.  Long sleeve sun protection shirt is a must for a LO. Lots of sunscreen. Hat. Water floaties. B used a vest and those blow up arm things and he could float upright. I never left him by himself, but it helped. If you can buy a seat for the plane I highly suggest it. I do not know how I would have survived if I had to hold him for 6 hours. Lots of snacks for the plane, crayons, coloring book, playdough worked for us and a couple of his toy cars.  Have a great time!

We got in Friday midnight from Maui! I'm wondering if we saw each other there! hehe

What did you guys do? Where did you stay? We were in Kihei for first 6 days then Wailea the rest. Wish we'd stayed in Kaanapali or Lahaina instead!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"