Pre-School and Daycare

XP: Advice on when to use inhaler....

Hey, all! My 19 month old has some asthma-like symptoms, and we were given an inhaler with very-low dose meds.  Any advice on when to use, other than the obvious?  She has coughing fits most nights, trying to figure out if we should give her a dose when we're pretty sure she'll suffer a fit, or wait until the actual fit happens. (so that she can get to sleep and stay asleep, rather than be given meds that make her jittery and want to get up for awhile-obviously for both our benefits.)

Thanks for any insight! :)

Re: XP: Advice on when to use inhaler....

• Do you have a pulmonologist?  When given an inhaler you should have gotten a course of action.  Usually it is a form that has green, yellow and red light.  It gives you guidance on when to use and when to head to the ER.  I always side using it too much then too little.  Not being able to breath comfortably sucks.  The other thing you will learn is when it is just in their throat from drainage or in their lungs.  The sounds are pretty different.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Agree with PP. What type of inhaler is it? For example, DS was prescribed flovent at 18 months and we had to use it daily as his controller medicaiton. He also had an albuterol inhaler for flares which we had to use our judgement and follow the action plan as described above. If you are ever unsure of your action plan, just give a call to the doc office. I have gone to them with different scenarios similar to what you are saying and they have given support.

Sounds like your LO needs something to help that cough. I would give the doc a call.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My twins were diagnosed with RAD (reactive airway disease) at 10 mo old.  We started nebulizer treatments then.  Their only symptom was coughing. 

They officially got diagnosed with asthma later.  They are 7 now and are on singulair and an inhaler 1 puff once a day.  I agree with pps that it sounds like you need more of a plan going forward.  I hope she feels better soon.

Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • Thanks, ladies.  We got the albuterol inhaler at the ER, due to her cough.  We were prescribed a steroid med as well, which helped her, and were told if it didn't get better to follow up with the doc.  It did get better, but clearly need to follow up with doc regardless.  

I really appreciate all the advice, and will get on the phone pronto. :) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"