Pre-School and Daycare

Ds' height keeps dropping

The first time the percentile was lower, I didn't think much.  Now it's like 2 years of constant drop-off and I'm a bit worried.  He went from like 76% at 15 month check up to now 16% at 4 1/2.  None of us are short in either family.  He eats like a fiend.

Doc wants a height/weight check in 2 months and then consider blood tests.  We're upping his calcium if we can since I sort of weaned him from his milk addiction (he still eats a lot of kefir, cheese and yogurt).

Anyone have this dropoff happen with their child? :( 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Ds' height keeps dropping

• My friend's son did this. He use to be big for his age as a baby and young toddler and now he is small. He's five now. I think all kids grow at different a different pace but if I was worried and it's been happening for years now I wouldn't wait two months to blood test. That's too long to have to sit and worry about it.
  • My older DD was 95th %tile for height until she was two, and then she started to drop off.  At her 4 year appt she was 50th %tile, and I'd guess that's where she still is now.  My younger DD was 75%tile at a year old, but since then she's held steady at 25th %tile.  Even though DD2 had a big drop between one and two, she still grew 3.5 inches in the past year, and she seems to have had another growth spurt in the past few weeks. 

So yes, both of my kids have had drop-offs.  If he's still growing and gaining even if it's at a slower pace, I wouldn't worry too much, but you should go with your gut.

• Loading the player...
  • image-auntie-:

I don't understand why you have to wait 2 months for the diagnostic blood tests if you want them now.

That said, at 15 months, was he measured standing or lying down? The actual difference between %tiles at that age is fairly small and kids will measure differently- more accurately- standing.

I guess they just want to see if there is any growth before going that route.  I agree.

It was lying down, so maybe they are a bit off.  Even so, he's for sure not growing rapidly if you go by the standing up ones. 

• imagemrszee2b:

My older DD was 95th %tile for height until she was two, and then she started to drop off.  At her 4 year appt she was 50th %tile, and I'd guess that's where she still is now.  My younger DD was 75%tile at a year old, but since then she's held steady at 25th %tile.  Even though DD2 had a big drop between one and two, she still grew 3.5 inches in the past year, and she seems to have had another growth spurt in the past few weeks. 

So yes, both of my kids have had drop-offs.  If he's still growing and gaining even if it's at a slower pace, I wouldn't worry too much, but you should go with your gut.

I'm hoping that's all it is.  I wasn't at the appointment, my dh was, but this was the first time they did a "Huh, let's keep our eye on this one" so it's ramping up my anxiety about it.  His weight has stayed the same percentile-ish and he's otherwise healthy, so I am hoping it's nothing.

• imagefredalina:
    My kid grows in spurts for sure. Her weight is pretty steady and only increases a little at a time; I think she's gained a couple pounds in a couple of years. Her height is really spurty though. I measure her every month just for fun on the growth chart at home, and a month ago she was 20 percentile ish, which is down from her 3 year appt when she was 45 percentile. However, as of the first of the month, she was an inch taller and is now like 52 percentile. I predict she'll be down around 40 or 45 again by her 4 year as I bet she's done growing for the year. Try not to worry. The 2 month wait is probably to see if your LO has a growth spurt just after his birthday. If it was urgent, he'd have already had the blood work. Also, Char's biological brother has had all kinds of tests. He's also short, though stouter, and has an enormous head. Everything is fine, but they do the tests to be sure.

The way that ds eats, you'd think he is going to have a spurt any moment now. I don't know where it all goes!  It's so hard not to worry with these kids.  

• I really don't put a lot of thought into the 0-23 month height measurements. The difference between 1 or 2 inches is 25-50% on the percentile chart. Laying a wiggly baby down and trying to get an accurate height is nearly impossible. Also height in family is such a gamble. I am 5'10 my parents are 5'5 and 5'8, but I have sisters who are 5'2 and 5'4 you always have the outlier for both tall and short.

If he is eating well, active, meeting milestones, and has maintained a consistent growth for the last year. I would probably not go with a blood test unless some other systems or major stunted growth was showing.

• I would be worried about a vitamin deficiency or something along those lines since the rest of the family is tall.  Does he take a daily vitamin? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageechowysp2:

imagefredalina:
    My kid grows in spurts for sure. Her weight is pretty steady and only increases a little at a time; I think she's gained a couple pounds in a couple of years. Her height is really spurty though. I measure her every month just for fun on the growth chart at home, and a month ago she was 20 percentile ish, which is down from her 3 year appt when she was 45 percentile. However, as of the first of the month, she was an inch taller and is now like 52 percentile. I predict she'll be down around 40 or 45 again by her 4 year as I bet she's done growing for the year. Try not to worry. The 2 month wait is probably to see if your LO has a growth spurt just after his birthday. If it was urgent, he'd have already had the blood work. Also, Char's biological brother has had all kinds of tests. He's also short, though stouter, and has an enormous head. Everything is fine, but they do the tests to be sure.

The way that ds eats, you'd think he is going to have a spurt any moment now. I don't know where it all goes!  It's so hard not to worry with these kids.  

My DD2 is 2 inches shorter and 4lbs lighter than DD1 was at the same age.  She easily eats twice as much as DD1, and she's just over the 10th percentile for weight.  Go figure :)

• imagemrszee2b:
    imageechowysp2:

imagefredalina:

My DD2 is 2 inches shorter and 4lbs lighter than DD1 was at the same age.  She easily eats twice as much as DD1, and she's just over the 10th percentile for weight.  Go figure :)

Ah, to have their metabolism.  The yummy things I would eat!

• Just another similar story... DD#1 was 90%height and 10% for weight and now she is 40th and 20th (5 yrs3 mos).  She is 32 lbs, and my 3 yr, 8 month old twins are 31 and 32  lbs. 

I have no knowledge at all of medical things so I don't know.  When my mommy gut is shouting louder than the doc's "blahblahblah," it is time to listen.  I think if he is active and healthy and the trend has been going on for years, that 2 more months wait for a growth spurt is probably wise- odds are he is due for one- and should be fine.  Good luck.

• imageLoveEeyore:

Just another similar story... DD#1 was 90%height and 10% for weight and now she is 40th and 20th (5 yrs3 mos).  She is 32 lbs, and my 3 yr, 8 month old twins are 31 and 32  lbs. 

I have no knowledge at all of medical things so I don't know.  When my mommy gut is shouting louder than the doc's "blahblahblah," it is time to listen.  I think if he is active and healthy and the trend has been going on for years, that 2 more months wait for a growth spurt is probably wise- odds are he is due for one- and should be fine.  Good luck.

Thanks, yep, he's very active, alert, healthy and otherwise, right on track/ahead of the curve developmentally.  

• Is the same nurse doing the measuring every time and using the same chart? If you use a different chart or even a different nurse, that could be the reason. Is your child barefoot every single time. Standing vs laying down are also a huge reason for differences as well as making sure your child is standing up straight. Is your child growing in weight and height and just the percent is going down? I don't put a ton into the growth chart thing - if your child is growing in a somewhat consistent manner, I would not be overly concerned. Is there a reason why your ped wants to wait a few months before running tests? Is he not really concerned or is he having you try some diet changes or anything like that in this timeframe?
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • imagejlw2505:
    Is the same nurse doing the measuring every time and using the same chart? If you use a different chart or even a different nurse, that could be the reason. Is your child barefoot every single time. Standing vs laying down are also a huge reason for differences as well as making sure your child is standing up straight. Is your child growing in weight and height and just the percent is going down? I don't put a ton into the growth chart thing - if your child is growing in a somewhat consistent manner, I would not be overly concerned. Is there a reason why your ped wants to wait a few months before running tests? Is he not really concerned or is he having you try some diet changes or anything like that in this timeframe?

Different nurses each time, the last couple of years he's been barefoot standing.   It's becoming apparent that he's not growing very quickly because all of our play date friends who are about 6 months younger are all suddenly taller.  He's not grown much on the growth marks on his bedroom wall either.

They just want to make sure he gets enough calcium and to watch for any other odd symptoms.  I think they are waiting for a spurt.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"