Postpartum Depression

I need advice...

Ladies, I dont know what board to post this on b/c most of which I'm about to say makes me feel super ashamed.  Because what I'm dealing with most accurately fits depression, I'm posting here.    

I'm 18 weeks pregnant with my first and I have a history of depression. I have been off meds for 2 + years now and doing very well. Until I got pregnant...I was thrilled the first 2 weeks until i started to feel  MS and tired and it's been a downhill slope ever since.  I get the hormones, the being bummy b/c I'm always tired, throwing up, etc.  But lately it's become more of an "I just don't care". I'm ashamed that I'm not excited for the baby anymore, I don't feel connected to my baby at all.   I am hopeful that by finding out the sex and feeling the baby move soon will change that.

I walk around in a  trance all day. I don't care about anything and can barely make it out of bed for work.   It is affecting my marriage, and I feel so lost. I've talked to my friends and DH about it and most agree it's the hormones and the winter blues.  I, however, am a little more concerned.  I know I'm already  at risk for PPD, but did anyone else suffer from depression during pregnancy?  What should I raise to my OBs attention?  I am not suicidal, just so blah. I don't care about anything anymore, doing the seemlessly effortless things are challenging for me. I do enjoy exercise when the mood allows me to.  I do have a support system, but I have no family here locally. Friends and even my family that know about my history don't seem to really be concerned again citing the hormones  as the cause for my blues. I don't want to 'scare' them , but I'm fearful I may need help after the baby comes and want to prepare them.  

SOrry this is long, any advice you have to help me deal with my depression now and prepare my support system is very welcome. 

Re: I need advice...

• I think you should talk to your OB about how you're feeling. Hopefully you can get some help, because you shouldn't have to feel this way. GL!
  • Absolutely talk to your OB.  I know you have been off depression meds for a while and would probably be hesitant to get back on them, but it sounds like that might be what you need to do.  Pregnancy messes with your body in so many ways, including your hormones and mental health.  There have been several studies done regarding depression medication during pregnancy and there ARE safe drugs that you can take if your doctor feels that's what you need for right now.

There is no shame in asking for help, nobody deserves to feel that way!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

F15 Siggy Challenge: What You're Looking Forward to Most After Baby Arrives: BELLY SLEEPING!

photo c433cf4d-aa40-443c-af77-110275d91d89.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • When I was 5 weeks pregnant I had to admit myself to the hospital because I was so depressed and anxious I was thinking about dying. I had just weaned off of my anxiety meds before I got pregnant, and it seemed like a "step back" to go back on them, but it's clearly what I needed to do to be healthy.

For those of us who deal with depression/anxiety on a normal, non-pregnant basis, we are more at-risk for dealing with it during pregnancy and the post-partum period.

Honestly, I would talk to a psychiatrist now. There's no reason to go through pregnancy feeling like this. There are things you can do to help yourself!

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • If I were you I wouldn't be hesitant to get back on medication.  I decided to stop mine once I got pregnant as a precaution but my doctors said that I should keep an open mind about getting back on them if I need to because the stress your body puts itself through when you are depressed can do more harm to the baby than the medicine can.  Also, if you have a history of depression you are more likely to be depressed during your pregnancy as well as after.  They also convinced me that I will go directly back on to my meds once the baby is delivered if for nothing but a precaution from PDD.

I feel like you will definitely feel more bond with your baby once you can feel it move, since it will give almost a constant reminder that hes just there waiting to get out and meet you. 

I would definitely have a talk with the people who are going to be around to help out in the beginning when the baby is born, especially if you are going to take meds again.  Just so they know what is going on and have a heads up if you are 'not like yourself'. 

If your OB doesn't want to start you on meds try talking to a psychiatrist, they know what meds are okay or not during pregnancy, and keep your OB informed on your choices, after all, it is your body and your baby you are dealing with, and you would know better than anyone what you need.

And if you ever need to talk about anything, feel free to hit me up.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"