International Bumpies
Options

question for Canadian bumpies

When I applied for my mat-leave E.I., I remember reading that you are supposed to notify them when you leave the country.  You are allowed to leave, they just want to be notified for whatever reason.  The problem is - I can't find a way to notify them.  The phone number I found seems to just be a computer.  When you left the country on mat-leave, how did you notify the EI office, or did you?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

Re: question for Canadian bumpies

• Options

when you go on EI, you will need to fill out a questionaire online every 2 weeks. one of the questions is "have you left the country during this time period" -- you can answer then

personally, unless you're leaving for an extended period of time, I wouldn't bother going out of your way trying to call them and notifying them. Dealing with the canadian government is such a hassle. 

TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • Options

imageBluenoser4ever:
    imageRussianMommy:
    when you go on EI, you will need to fill out a questionaire online every 2 weeks. one of the questions is "have you left the country during this time period" you can answer then personally, unless you're leaving for an extended period of time, I wouldn't bother going out of your way trying to call them and notifying them. Dealing with the canadian government is such a hassle.nbsp;
    What is this questionnaire you speak of?? I'm assuming it's for reg EI and not mat leave. I've been on mat leave for almost 8 months and haven't done anything like that. OP, try calling 1800OCANADA. They should be able to give you a phone number.

You do not have to fill out reports every 2 weeks while on mat leave. I haven't left Canada yet during my leave, but a few of my friends did and they didn't notify. I dont think you need to with a mat leave. If its hard to get through you should have a local Service Canada office close by in your Town/City and they will have someone to answer questions. If you call your local MP office they can give you nearby locations. We have a service rep at our municipal office once a week. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    oh ok, i thought the mat leave protocol was the same as EI, but guess not.
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    1-800-206-7218  is the customer services number.  Pushing 0 or the * should get you through to a person!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I left canada for a day trip and i didnt tell anyone. I dont think you have to notify them unless you will be gone for an extended period
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I went to visit my parents in the states for 6 weeks while on Mat leave.  You don't need to let anyone know. For this next one we are planning on going to Mexico for 6 months while my husband in on parental leave.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    You don't need to tell them you are leaving while on mat. Leave. Also you can sign an option to not have to do your questionnaire every two weeks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    If there's one nearby, swing into the service Canada office. I waited FOREVER on the phone last time I had a question, so I went to the office and I was in and out in 5 minutes. It's a small town though, so I'm not sure if its the same everywhere.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"