Postpartum Depression

Medication

Hi ladies, first post here- yay LOL!  I'm pretty certain I am suffering from PPD.  I'd like to take the first step in getting help.  Should I contact my OB or my regular family doctor?  

Every day I feel so inadequate in caring for my DD, resent my DH because his life hasn't changed much - he still gets to go to work and go to e gym each AM, and am just angry in general.  I'm tired of feeling this way.  I can't stop crying.  I love my daughter but she has been anything but an easy baby.  I also have extreme guilt over not being able to BF.  I have no help from family and most days I'm alone with DD for 11 hours.  She won't nap anywhere but on me so I can't even get a break from her while she naps. I miss work and DH has even suggested I cut my maternity leave short, how awful of a mother would I be?!

Any advice for this struggling FTM mess?  Thanks. 

Re: Medication

• I think either doc would be fine. I went to my OB.
    You are NOT an awful mother for needing a break! Motherhood is hard work and you need some time to recharge your batteries. If your career fulfills you it may be something that makes you a better mom, not an awful one.
    GL!
  • Oh, another practical suggestion: can you wear her in a sling or other carrier while she naps? That could freer you up a little to move around while she's napping at least.
  • Loading the player...
  • I would suggest seeing a psychiatrist instead of a PCP or OB. They *can* give you medication, but they are not specialized and often do not give good advice when it comes to mental illness (even temporary mental illness like PPD).

I know a psychiatrist seems scary, but it's really not. They aren't going to make you lie down on a couch and bare your soul. :) They're just like any other doctor you will see, but they know the most about psych meds and issues like depression and anxiety. They'll ask you why you came, what your symptoms are, they'll perscribe you meds and ask you to come back maybe once a month to make sure the meds are working. That's it!

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • Oh, I forgot to comment on the rest.

I had a lot of anxiety and depression when my daughter was born for the same reasons. My life changed dramatically, and H's did not. I couldn't deal with it, and I lapsed into depression.

The only thing I can tell you is that this is normal. It sucks, a LOT, but it is normal to feel this way. It doesn't make you a bad mother at all. In fact, you are a good mother for recognizing that what you're feeling isn't "normal" and reaching out for help. Too often women try to suppress these feelings and act like they're fine when they're not. 

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • imagehomebird:
    I would suggest seeing a psychiatrist instead of a PCP or OB. They can give you medication, but they are not specialized and often do not give good advice when it comes to mental illness even temporary mental illness like PPD.I know a psychiatrist seems scary, but it's really not. They aren't going to make you lie down on a couch and bare your soul. : They're just like any other doctor you will see, but they know the most about psych meds and issues like depression and anxiety. They'll ask you why you came, what your symptoms are, they'll perscribe you meds and ask you to come back maybe once a month to make sure the meds are working. That's it!

This, this, this!!!!
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• Thanks Ladies.  I called my OB yesterday and explained to the receptionist about possible PPD and that I would like an Rx.  She told me the Dr does not write scripts for PPD meds and she would refer me to a support group.  I got upset bc when do I have time during the day to attend a support group?? I have no help and obviously can't bring my 3 month daughter. I guess I'll just have to deal with this on my own.  
  • imagetheresat858:
    No dr should just give you a script for antidepressants over the phone without an indepth appointment.nbsp; You can bring your 3 month old to an appointment with a psychiatrist I had mine with me until that age at my appts with my maternal mental health psych.nbsp;

This! Please don't "deal with this on your own." Most of the time, you can't. Things can get worse, fast! Please start with the support group and make an appt with a phyciatrist ASAP! You don't have to suffer! Sorry your OB didn't sound more understanding. Mental health in this country is so misunderstood and looked down at! Pisses me off!
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• imagehomebird:

I would suggest seeing a psychiatrist instead of a PCP or OB. They *can* give you medication, but they are not specialized and often do not give good advice when it comes to mental illness (even temporary mental illness like PPD).

I know a psychiatrist seems scary, but it's really not. They aren't going to make you lie down on a couch and bare your soul. :) They're just like any other doctor you will see, but they know the most about psych meds and issues like depression and anxiety. They'll ask you why you came, what your symptoms are, they'll perscribe you meds and ask you to come back maybe once a month to make sure the meds are working. That's it!

Agree with all of this. I initially went to my OB and the meds they gave me did not work and I continued to be a mess. So they referred me to a psychiatrist. I actually enjoy talking to mine. I wish she was also someone who did therapy because she is that awesome. I have bonded with her, she really got me and helped me understand how/why I was feeling the way I was. Even aftet my first appointment I felt relief.

I am still on meds for PPD. I have been on and off ADs for my entire adult life (almost 20 years). Even though I had experienced depression and anxiety in the past PPD was just different.

My baby was very high needs, only napped on me, had colic, reflux, was MSPI. It takes a toll but now she is the happiest little girl. There is hope!

Lillian April 17, 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"