Attachment Parenting

Toddler Hating Ergo?

So, when we got out Ergo, DS loved it. He saw me put it on and smiled and clapped and raised his hands to be picked up and put in it. When he started walking, he would bring it to me...

The past few days, though, he seems to hate the carrier. He wants to walk around and explore when we're out at the store or walking, but he gets into everything, so I've been keeping him in the carrier. Now, when I put it on, he immediately starts to fuss/cry, and while he's in it, he leans away from me and reaches for the ground.

I'm glad that he wants to explore, but the Target mailing card aisle is not the place. I don't want him to hate the carrier, though. Did your toddlers feel this way about their carriers at 16 months? How did you help them through it? Thanks!
imageimage

Re: Toddler Hating Ergo?

• DS loved our ergo too for a while.  Lately he doesn't seem to like it though.  I realized a couple weeks ago that he is really tight in it (he's 16 months too).  After doing some research, I think I'm gonna try a Kinderpack, since it is like ergo, but they have toddler size.  I'm thinking the reason Ds is unhappy in the ergo issimply because he's too big for it now.
    Visit The Nest! Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I would try upgrading to a toddler sized carrier--the Ergo doesn't provide knee to knee coverage for most toddlers. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • If you're at a store, can you just put him in the cart? How about using a kiddie leash? I wouldn't push him about the carrier if he's not a fan of it right now, but use it for things like walks or if he gets tired.

Not to sound like a pain, but the Ergo and all those SSC are good for up to 40ish pounds. Sure, you might need to adjust the straps, but I don't think a bigger carrier is the solution.

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• I'll try just letting him sit in the cart. All of this started after we went to toysrus a week ago to return some things, and I let DS walk around and look at/ play with some of the toys. He wants to take everything off shelves and play everywhere now. Mom fail!

DS is only 20 lbs and just 29 inches tall, so he fits perfectly in our ergo. I don't think it's the fit...I really do think he just wants to explore and play. I don't want him to fuss and cry, but we have to shop and he can't play. I think I'll try PP's suggestion of having him sit in the cart, so that we don't create a negative association with the carrier, and I'll try to occupy him with snacks and toys there. Sigh...

Thanks!!!
    imageimage
  • imageEmerald27:
    I'll try just letting him sit in the cart. All of this started after we went to toysrus a week ago to return some things, and I let DS walk around and look at/ play with some of the toys. He wants to take everything off shelves and play everywhere now. Mom fail!

Ah, makes sense. The biggest thing I've learned about parenting is never let them realize they can actually *walk* around the store, ha ha ha. Good luck with the cart!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• DD Will be 3 in May and stil goes in the Ergo but not much anymore. When she was around that age she did want to walk a lot (then she got lazy again when the newness of walking wore off...).  The only time I absolutely keep her in the Ergo is when I go grocery shopping. Occasionally she will protest for a brief moment but that's it. I don't have room in the cart when I go grocery shopping and I don't want her walking around. Anywhere else though she gets to sit in the cart or she has to walk and hold on to the cart. Up until about late summer she would go in the stroller for quick trips to Target or Walmart because she wouldn't want to walk and she would get bored with sitting in the cart. 

I still use it for travel too since we don't fly with our stroller. She doesn't mind it usually and still falls asleep in it occasionally.. She isn't very big though, she's almost 26'#. Not sure about her height but probably about 36 inches (50th % whatever that is at her age) 

He's probably just going through an independent stage. I think you give him freedom where you can but restrain him (cart/stroller/Ergo) if he really needs to be restrained. I can't remember when DD would start holing on to the cart but I think it was later (mostly because she would always be in the Ergo and it wasn't an issue). 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It's a pretty common age to have a "wearing strike" - kids usually come back around in a month or two.  I'm personally a fan of teaching kids to walk appropriately in stores once they can walk - and if they can't, up it is (carrier or cart).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"