Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Diaper Rash...when to be concerned

Hey all! Quick question. We are dealing with our first serious diaper rash. LO has a soy allergy and dairy intolerance (how fun!) so we've been EBF'ing until 9 months. I've gone back to work, we ran out of stored BM and so we've started Allimentum formula, which does have soy but it is supposedly Hypoallergenic.

DD has had a few rashes to date, that quickly cleared up by the next diapers, however she has had one for 2 days now that is not going away. Switched from cloth to disposable, changing at the slightest bit, slathering lotion, baby powder, etc. She has started to eat more solid foods, but she isn't having issues pooping, so I don't think it's that.

Could this be from the formula? Am I missing something?

Also, stripped the cloth diapers to no avail.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Diaper Rash...when to be concerned

• Alimentum is hypoallergenic and most babies can tolerate it if they have a mspi. My son could my twins couldn't, they did elecare. 

Have you let her hang out without a diaper on? This worked the best for us in terms of speeding up the healing process. 

• My LO had a diaper rash that just wouldn't go away, despite copious amounts of Desitin (which usually clears it up within a couple of days). Turns out it was in fact a yeast infection, and Lotrimin cleared it right up.

To hedge your bets, I'd slather on Lotrimin, wait a couple of minutes, then apply Desitin (this is per my pediatrician's recommendations). 

• Loading the player...
  • We have just finished dealing with a horrible rash for our daughter.  What eventually worked for us was putting Aquafor on first, then the diaper ointment (we normally use Desitin or Burt's Bees, but for this we used Butt Paste Maximum Strength).  We also let her run around without a diaper on at times (with lots of towels and blankets on the floor), but for the cream to work, it needs to be kept on, so we just eventually stuck with keeping a diaper on her.

She had one other diaper rash in the past and at that time, it was a yeast infection, so we used Lotramin AF under the diaper cream.  The doctor was able to tell us when it was a yeast infection and when it was not.

While these are great remedies, they will not help with a rash if it is caused by a food allergy.  Besides the formula, are you feeding your LO any new foods that could be causing a reaction?

Good luck! 

• Is there a noticable difference between a regular diaper rash and a fungal infection?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageMrs MoJoRisin:
    Is there a noticable difference between a regular diaper rash and a fungal infection?

No.  It is a little more blistery and angry looking, I guess. 

• imageMrs MoJoRisin:
    Is there a noticable difference between a regular diaper rash and a fungal infection?

No.  It is a little more blistery and angry looking, I guess. 

• My LO's diaper rash and yeast infection, respectively, looked exactly the same. Only difference was that the yeast infection mainly resides in crevices, since they don't dry as quickly or easily. 
  • Interesting! Thanks yall! I will definataley try some of these creams. 

No new foods.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"