Parenting

Any MSPI moms here?

So I was going to post this on the food allergy board, but it doesn't seem like many people visit over there, so I figured all the traffic this board gets, someone is bound to have experience with this...

My son was diagnosed with a MSPI that did not improve on Nutramigen, so our pedi put him on PurAmino (amino-acid based formula). He's been on this formula about 2 weeks now and there is no more visible blood in his stool, but his stools still seem to be pretty mucousy at times (brownish colored stringy mucus...not tons of it though). He is otherwise acting fine and his temperament has improved greatly within the last week, since he's been on the PurAmino. If your child has/had a MSPI as an infant, how long did it take for his/her stools to clear up completely?

If it makes a difference, DS was pretty constipated right after we switched him to this, so our pedi has us giving him an ounce of pear/prune juice twice daily. This wouldn't really contribute to the brownish mucus in his stools, would it?

I know, it's pretty gross stuff...but anyone with experience on this, your help is greatly appreciated! TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Any MSPI moms here?

• Both of my boys were MSPI.  We did formula for DS1 and I'm still BFing DS2.

It took a full 5 weeks before all of the symptoms were gone completely.  It takes a long time for the proteins to exit their little bodies.

The prune juice *might* contribute to the brown color, but not the mucus part.

DS1 November 2009
    DS2 August 2012
  • That's what I figured. I keep hearing that it takes a while for everything to clear out of their systems, but I really wasn't sure how long. Plus, since we've seen such an improvement in his overall demeanor, I wasn't too concerned about the mucus still being there.
  • Loading the player...
  • It took about 3-4 weeks for stools to be better but DD still had mucous often for the next 3 months.  But she was happy, no blood, skin problems, or bad gas so we didn't pursue it.   

image   image

• I BF DD who had the same issue. It took close to a month to see improvement after I cut out dairy. By one year she outgrew it, so now she's doing great. The bummer is that she still avoids a lot of dairy products because they were introduced so late. What toddler hates cheese? Mine.

photo photosig3_zps92919c91.jpg Just said good bye Sept. 19th (MMC at 12 weeks)
  • imageMrsCodeMonkey:
    I BF DD who had the same issue. It took close to a month to see improvement after I cut out dairy. By one year she outgrew it, so now she's doing great. The bummer is that she still avoids a lot of dairy products because they were introduced so late. What toddler hates cheese? Mine.

Ds was mspi until about 15 months. I bf, and we were kind of special snowflakes in that the only symptom he had really was projectile, all day spit up. I was still bfing 1112 times a day at 5 months and he wasn't gaining any weight. Truly, the mspi diet was like a miracle for us because when we tried formula the only one that really worked was elecare. Talk about pricey. I have a hue incentive to nurse these two, because we can't afford two ff babies on elecare.

Just wanted to add that ds had a hard time adjusting to anything cheesy. Thank The Lord he has gotten used to it.
    Mom to Jacob, Henry and Ian Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hearing that most mspi babies outgrow it is encouraging. Sure it may be self explanatory right now while DS is EFF, but trying to incorporate dairy/soy free solid foods...that seems like a lot of work.
  • imageMrsT0514:
    Hearing that most mspi babies outgrow it is encouraging. Sure it may be self explanatory right now while DS is EFF, but trying to incorporate dairy/soy free solid foods...that seems like a lot of work.

Solids won't be a big deal at first because it is usually fruits and veggies.  Baked goods are the harder part for us.  I have to make a lot of things from scratch using Earth Balance fake butter and rice milk (or coconut milk).  We have to be careful with store bought crackers and breads too.

You'll get used to it quickly - check out mspimama.com for some good recipes and tips.   

image   image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"