Pregnant after 35
Options

CVS questions

Hi all, I'm new to this board, but not the bump.  I'm 36, 11 weeks pregnant with my second.  Just wanting to get some opinions/feedback on CVS from those who've had it done.  Did your OB do transcervical or transabdominal?  The only risk factor I have at this point is AMA.  We're scheduled for the NT scan next week and I thought I'd wait to see if that came back with higher risk probability, but the way I understand it is CVS is done between 10-12 weeks and I may not have time to do both if I wait. 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: CVS questions

• Options
    I had 2 (twins) transabdominally. My doctor does both, whether its done through the cervix or abdomen depends on the location of the placenta on any given day. They wanted to to do it the day of my NT scan but I was too scared. The next day, the placenta moved and the dr. on call didn't do cervical so I went back the next day and they were able to do it through the abdomen. Personally, I thought it was painful. Although abdominal is more painful, I think its safer and is the preferred method. I was 11 weeks at my NT scan. They recommended immediate CVS because there was an obvious defect with one of the babies on the scan. Otherwise, I would not have had it done.
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I had my CVS done at 12 weeks on my twins.  Both were done transabdominally based on the position of the placentas and the twins (my Baby A was blocking access to Baby B if we were to try to do it transcervically).  He gave me a local anesthesia (shot) prior to each sample.  I would say mine was more just "uncomfortable" vs painful.  The longest part of the whole thing was doing the ultrasound portion to locate the placentas and how best to get the sample (Baby B had a posterior placenta so it was more difficult to get to; it had an anterior extension though so MFM was looking for the right approach to get to it).  The sampling portion for each baby I would say took 5 min.  I had FISH analysis done (preliminary testing done for T21, T18, T13) that was negative for both babies and I was told the next day (also found out the genders).  The full report on the rest of the chromosomes was done in 2 weeks.

I took the afternoon off after the procedure and just rested on the couch.  After that I just took it easy, no heavy lifting for a couple of days to be safe.

Me:40 AMA, DH:36 0% morph, TTC#1;
    BFP#1 4/2011, MMC 6/2011 11wks Trisomy 13;
    BFP#2 11/2011, CP
    FSH: 17.9, AMH: 2.2
    IVF#1 w/ICSI: ER 4/3: 5R,4M,4F
    ET 4/6 All 4 (1-8A+, 2-8A-, 1-3A) BFP#3
    Two weeks of beta hell = Blighted Ovum
    IVF#2 Aug/Sept: ER 8/27: 4R,3M,3F
    ET 8/30 (1-8A+, 1-6A+)
    Beta#1 9/10: 350; Beta#2 9/12: 796; Beta#3 9/20: 9155
    Expecting Boy/Girl Twins! My babies were born 4/23/13 at 36w1d!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imagejrtmom:
    If your only risk factor is AMA I would just opt for the MaterniT21 (or Harmony) test instead.  It is very accurate, and is just a blood test.  We were considering doing CVS until we learned about this test.  We opted for the MaterniT21 instead.  It can be done after 11 weeks I believe.  

I'll ask my OB about these.  I'm on the fence on the risk factor of CVS.   

Thanks to the other posters for the info!   

• Options
    I hate always being the debbie downer when someone asks about the CVS test, but I had one and as a result lost the baby about 2 weeks later due to an infection introduced or caused by the test.. I had transcervical.  The Matern21 and Harmony were not available at the time, I think they're a great no risk option to look into. The risk of loss while low is still a real risk. 
    nate and teddy
    Me 41 DH 46  Not actively ttc, surprise BFP on 1/6/11! 4/1/11 m/c our sunshine at 16wks after complications from CVS test. TTC #2 **5th cycle 12/6/11 BFP! Missed m/c at 9 weeks 1/21/12, trisomy 14. Two Chemical PG 3/12&7/12
    ** BFP 8/16/12 beta #1 148! beta#2 407 beta #3 4000 u/s 9.10 1 lovely hb 126, Baby Boy is due 04/28/13!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

imagedhreczuck:
    I hate always being the debbie downer when someone asks about the CVS test, but I had one and as a result lost the baby about 2 weeks later due to an infection introduced or caused by the test.. I had transcervical.  The Matern21 and Harmony were not available at the time, I think they're a great no risk option to look into. The risk of loss while low is still a real risk. 

I'm so sorry for your loss.  Thank you for sharing this.  I know there's a risk, so I'm definitely going to ask about the blood tests mentioned before considering this.

• Options
    They tried to do a CVS on me but due to the position of my tilted uterus they were unable to take a sample.  This time I will try and get the MaterniT21 test.  I am not going to even attempt the CVS, they tried on two different occasions and afterwards I was pretty sore from all the poking and prodding.
                                                     imageimage
                                        Lilypie - (JNST)image
                                         Lilypie - (aqIx)
  • Options

imagebkeane619:
    They tried to do a CVS on me but due to the position of my tilted uterus they were unable to take a sample.  This time I will try and get the MaterniT21 test.  I am not going to even attempt the CVS, they tried on two different occasions and afterwards I was pretty sore from all the poking and prodding.

I have a tilted uterus as well and it took them a while to get the catheter in, it was extremely uncomfortable and I had quite a bit of bleeding. Leads me to think that's why I ended up having complications. I've since read that transcervical isn't really recommended for anyone with a tilted uterus.

nate and teddy
    Me 41 DH 46  Not actively ttc, surprise BFP on 1/6/11! 4/1/11 m/c our sunshine at 16wks after complications from CVS test. TTC #2 **5th cycle 12/6/11 BFP! Missed m/c at 9 weeks 1/21/12, trisomy 14. Two Chemical PG 3/12&7/12
    ** BFP 8/16/12 beta #1 148! beta#2 407 beta #3 4000 u/s 9.10 1 lovely hb 126, Baby Boy is due 04/28/13!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I had it transcervically, performed by a doctor who has done more than 25,000 of them. It was uncomfortable for a few seconds but not painful - I think like a pap smear. I had zero complications.  I did not have Materni21 or the other free cell DNA tests done because I was less concerned about the trisomies (which is all those test for) and more concerned because I'm a carrier for a autosomal recessive disease, and because the CVS gives a much broader range of results than Materni21. If you're just concerned about the trisomies, than the Materni21 is probably enough.

• Options

My dr office called me when I was right over the 16 week mark and told me that I would need to see a genetic counselor and see if I wanted testing done etc. I am over 35 so this is from what I hear no unusual. I was so nervous!! They could not make my appointments for these until I was 19 weeks due to vacations, conferences, etc from the ones that would be conducting them. I went back and forth on what to do and decided that no mater what I would speak to the Genetic Counselor, she was very reassuring and in the end I was glad that I chose the MaterniT21 test. I took the test on a Thursday and the results were back by the following Tuesday. Check into the MaterniT21 test, they just draw blood and send it off. I want to also mention that my insurance in the end refused to pay for the test but I remember the Dr office saying something about that you could do it for like $250 if insurance did not pay. When I received the bill in for the test attached was a letter that said I may qualify for patience assistance, which I know I usually never do....I thought what the heck and called! MaterniT21 is still new on the market and if insurance does not pay they reduce the cost down to $235. I would really think about doing this test....less invasive than the others....Good luck!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"