Baby Showers
Options

Not buying off the registry

I've been invited to two different showers, both FTMs. I think their registries are ridiculous, with a lot of unnecessary/expensive items, and due to having a kid 6 months ago and making a recent move, money is a little tighter than usual. I don't want to go buy clothes or blankets, because they'll get plenty of those, I don't know if they're using sposies or cloth, and I don't have a clue what they want as far as bath stuff, so I'm sort of at a loss. I know both ladies are planning on breastfeeding, so I thought about putting together a gift package that included my favorite nipple butter, a couple of boxes of disposable nipple pads, some homemade lactation cookies with the recipe included, and a few burp clothes made from cute receiving blankets. I don't want to come across as cheap or like I don't care or whatever, does this sound like a good gift idea? Do y'all think I should add anything else to sort of "finish" the package, or does it seem fine as is? I'm probably way over-thinking this, but I always agonize over gifts!
Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

Re: Not buying off the registry

• Options
    A registry is a list of suggestions. It doesn't dictate what you should buy. I think that your gift idea sounds lovely.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imageEstwd2:

Sure, sounds fine. Don't stress about it. And if you want the simplest way out, do a gift card. I personally don't know anyone who doesn't like money.

The only thing that kind of strikes me slightly odd is including a batch of the cookies. I know they won't magically make her lactate right then and there, it's just that the idea of saying to a pregnant woman "Here, eat some lactation cookies" just strikes me as funny.

This!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageEstwd2:

Sure, sounds fine. Don't stress about it. And if you want the simplest way out, do a gift card. I personally don't know anyone who doesn't like money.

The only thing that kind of strikes me slightly odd is including a batch of the cookies. I know they won't magically make her lactate right then and there, it's just that the idea of saying to a pregnant woman "Here, eat some lactation cookies" just strikes me as funny.

True. Didn't think of it that way. I just know those cookies were delicious, and I ate them like no other in the early days. Maybe I'll just save that for after the babies arrive and I bring over a casserole or something?

• Options

I think it's fine to not buy off the registry.

I do think the lactation cookies might be a tad off.  Won't they go bad by the time the MTB needs to eat them?  Or do you eat them while you are still pregnant? 

Enlighten me, please. Smile

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options
    I love your idea. One of the best gifts I got as a FTM was a basket of stuff I needed but didn't know about from an experienced mom friend. She enlightened me about the snot sucker, cloth diapers as burp cloths, and soothies, and I was extremely appreciative.
  • Options
    Agree with PPs- the basket sounds lovely, but hold off on the cookies until baby is here!
    BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageHelenahhandbasket:

I do think the lactation cookies might be a tad off.  Won't they go bad by the time the MTB needs to eat them?  Or do you eat them while you are still pregnant? 

Ah, well, I ate them while pregnant, but I'm pretty much a cookie monster, so there's that!

Seriously, you know that saying that girls steal all your beauty? Well, DD also sucked up half my brains. I really didn't think the cookie thing through. lol
  • Options
    Okey dokey, will leave off the cookies. Thanks, ladies! Smile
  • Options

Nah, wasn't expecting them to keep the cookies long, more of a just try 'em and make more later if they liked them. I just didn't consider the weird factor.

Maybe I'll chip in a $10 card, too

• Options
    imageJoy2611:

I think the idea is really nice.

"Sposies," by the way?  I'm going to rank the ridiculousness of this word up there with "preggo." 

Agreed, but I'm usually typing 1 handed, and use shortcuts where I can and still be understood while not completely looking like an illiterate boob. Especially when I'm typing out a tl;dr post.

• Options
    imageMyNameWasTaken:
    imageHelenahhandbasket:

Ah, well, I ate them while pregnant, but I'm pretty much a cookie monster, so there's that! 

Seriously, you know that saying that girls steal all your beauty? Well, DD also sucked up half my brains. I really didn't think the cookie thing through. lol

Ok, I'm a cookie monster & now I want the recipe! 

Anyway, I love your girt idea! The personal stuff is always the best. My favorite gifts from my 1st born were a cheap onsie my 11yr old sister had pick out (he wore it home form the hospital), a blanket my grandma knitted, and a rocking chair that my dad had stained (it matched the one my mother had). Only one of those was a big thing & none were on my registry. 

BFP 4/3/07 EDD 11/23/07 MC 7/20/07 Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I think it sounds great!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think its a great idea, minus the cookies, and I would love a gift like that
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    That sounds like a very thoughful gift. I would have loved to receive something like that. As a FTM my head was spinning over what I needed to register for and I spent most of my time on Amazon reading reviews. I didn't know what nipple cream to get, etc. I don't think that gift comes across as cheap.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    This sounds like a very thoughtful gift (although I agree, maybe pass on the lactation cookies. Although you could include the recipe and non-perishable ingredients wrapped up cute). One of the best gifts I received was a basket on items that I hadn't registered for and it all kinds of little odds and ends I never would have registered for but all which were extremely helpful.

• Options
    imageJoy2611:
    imageMyNameWasTaken:
    imageJoy2611:

I think the idea is really nice.

"Sposies," by the way?  I'm going to rank the ridiculousness of this word up there with "preggo." 

Agreed, but I'm usually typing 1 handed, and use shortcuts where I can and still be understood while not completely looking like an illiterate boob. Especially when I'm typing out a tl;dr post.

What does tl:dr mean?  The first few times I saw it, I though it was a typo.  But clearly it means something that I'm missing!

Too long; didn't read. I got way wordier than I wanted to. Not sure how I managed it, considering how lazy I am when typing one handed!

And to the pp who said include non-perishable ingredients with the recipe, that's a cute idea! But I think I'll just include it with a batch of cookies plus a casserole to give after the babies get here.

And the here's the recipe! I loved them!

• Options
    Good idea on nipple butter. No one told me I would need that! Even my bf class never mentioned it.
  • Options

I know I'm late to the party but I wanted to chime in.

One of my favorite shower gifts was pretty much exactly what you described. It included nipple cream, fenugreek tea, cooling breast pads and the rice thingys that you would put in the microwave and warm up and put on your breasts when they were sore.

I used every single item in that basket. I think your idea is great!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TTC Baby Rob #1 05/07, BFP 06/07, EDD 02/22/08, Baby Jackaroo born via c-section after 22 hours of labor on 02/27/08
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC Baby Rob #2 06/11 BFP 11/06/11 EDD 07/16/12 Natural M/C 11/25/11 @ 6w3d
    Baby Rob #2 (Sloane), in our hearts always.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Here comes Baby Rob #3
     BFP on Cycle 17 09/27/12. EDD 06/04/12! Please Stick Baby! A/S 01/22/13 Baby looking great. Officially TEAM BLUE! Jack is getting a Baby Brother! RCS scheduled for 05/29/13. William Daryll born at 9:59am on 05/29/13. Left ovary and tube removed due to peach sized tumor found during RCS. Pathology came back benign!

• Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with a basket of things like that.  However, I'd pass on the lactation cookies too.  The recipe or maybe an IOU with a note explaining how once she gives birth, you'll deliver a batch of the cookies to her.  If I was a FTM and someone gave me fresh lactation cookies before I'd even given birth yet, I would have side eyed it, even if it was a friend.  It's not rude, just weird. I LOVE the idea of giving her a batch after she has the baby though and I wouldn't have side-eyed that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Options
    And I just read through and saw you decided to hold off on it.  I need to read these replies first, lol.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Options

Buy what you want. Its your money. I would include the recipe for your lactation cookies and maybe some others. Maybe a little booklet of recipes that are easy for the new mom?

Also, when in doubt I found grocery store gift certificates are great. They can use it for whatever they'd like. Also, think a gift certificate for a spa day, hair appointment or massage. You are right that the MTB will get plenty for baby (usually, unless all her guests feel the same as you lol). Get her something for her

Good luck! 

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

I didn't read the responses, but to me registry is just a suggestion and you don't have to buy from that store and the same exact item. When I was on a tight budget few years ago, I bought stuff (clothing, blanket, ...) on clearance rack from Kohl's or Taget and spend less than $10-$20 for nice gifts.

• Options

I actually LOVE your gift idea! I would be happy if I received something like that! 

off topic but do you think you could send me the recipe for those cookies? I plan on breastfeeding as well and those could come in handy! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"