May 2013 Moms
Options

Carpal Tunnel - Help!

I knew it was coming but it's gotten to a point where it's interfering with my ability to pick stuff up with my right hand. My thumb to wrist has shooting pains whenever I apply pressure (pulling myself out of bed) or pick things up and it seems to be worse after sleeping. In fact both my hands swell terribly at night and ache all morning until I've gotten up and moved around a bit.

So, my question to you ladies who have been there / are there. What did you do? What brace did you use? It's really just my thumb so for now I can deal if a brace will help. Any advice is greatly appreciated! TIA!

TTC since 3/4/2010
Me: PCOS, DH: normal
Started seeing RE 11/10/2011
8/31/2012 = BFP!!
First Ultrasound... TRIPLETS! EDD 5/11/13
Baby w/ no HB @ 10w4d - We love you angel baby.
Baby A & B doing great. A/S 12/10/12 - Healthy BOYS!
Sawyer & Silas born at 33+6 on 3/29/13
imageimage
imageView Raw Image" height="250" width="375">

image"Lilypie">image

Re: Carpal Tunnel - Help!

• Options
    No advice, but have some hugs and some big sloppy puppy kisses. Hope you find a good solution!
    Kim 

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    No advice, but I am goin through the same thing! Im gonna mention it to my doctor tomorrow.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagecmoosey:
    Is the pain in your thumb and thumb side of your wrist only?? I ask because i got that last time and its called Dequervains tendonitis, not carpal tunnel. Carpal tunnel will cause numbness and tingling in your thumb, index and part of your middle finger. If its the thumb pain you would want a different brace. Carpal tunnel resting hand splint is good. Dequervains you need a thumb spica. Ice your wrist either way! Key me know if you have ?s.

Oh well, that's a complicated question I suppose. It started out as numbness and tingling in the pad of my thumb and has now turned into a radiating pain along my thumb to inside wrist. I'll try icing and see if that helps. Thanks!

TTC since 3/4/2010
    8/31/2012 = BFP!!
    imageimage

image"Lilypie">image

• Options
    imagecmoosey:

https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/de-quervains-tenosynovitis/DS00692

The Finklestein test will be positive if its Dequervains.  This isn't the best video, but you can get idea and do it to yourself.  Put your thumb in your fist, hold your arm so the thumb side is up.  Bend your wrist down.  If it makes you jump or want to cry - you probably have Dequervains.  If so, you can ask your dr or you can just go to the store and buy a Thumb Spica splint.  I am an OT, and I actually went to OT with my 7 week old for a few weeks for therapy which helped.  But really, the splint and ice will be a big help.  For me, it hurt every time I used my thumb (aka every time I picked up my infant).  I hope you find relief soon!

Well I failed the test. I was reading out loud trying to make sure I was doing it correctly and as soon as I bent my wrist I yelled "OW! YES". I guess I'll consult a Spica Splint and see how that goes. Thanks again!

TTC since 3/4/2010
    8/31/2012 = BFP!!
    imageimage

image"Lilypie">image

• Options

https://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=wrist+splints+for+carpal+tunnel&hl=en&client=tablet-android-samsung&v=210020311&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.&bvm=bv.43148975,d.aWc&biw=1280&bih=800&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=9640703312849715142&sa=X&ei=VNUvUe_hC-eNyAH8_oHQCw&ved=0CIQBEPICMAY

Ugh.  If it is carpal tunnel, I sympathize.  I had it with DS and it was terrible.  I wore the brace up above.  Sorry I can't make it clicky.  And, the reality is, I wore the brace for a couple hours a night, but I get so hot at night I always ripped it off and threw it across the room around midnight.  Sleeping with my arms elevated on pillow (while sitting up so the baby didn't push on my aorta) helped a lot as well.  GL! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagecmoosey:
    https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dequervainstenosynovitis/DS00692
    nbsp;The Finklestein test will be positive if its Dequervains.nbsp; This isn't the best video, but you can get idea and do it to yourself.nbsp; Put your thumb in your fist, hold your arm so the thumb side is up.nbsp; Bend your wrist down.nbsp; If it makes you jump or want to cry you probably have Dequervains.nbsp; If so, you can ask your dr or you can just go to the store and buy a Thumb Spica splint.nbsp; I am an OT, and I actually went to OT with my 7 week old for a few weeksnbsp;for therapy which helped.nbsp; But really, the splint and ice will be a big help.nbsp; For me, it hurt every time I used my thumb aka every time I picked up my infant.nbsp; I hope you find relief soon!
    nbsp;

I was diagnosed with this about 3 weeks ago. I used the splint and actually had to do a round of steroids. It got better, and my Dr said I could take the splint off. A week later and it's almost back to hurting just as bad. Huge sad face!! It's hard not using your thumb! I also have a knot on the top of my forearm, about 3 inches back from my wrist. She said it's from the increase of hormones. If it doesn't get better, she may refer me to an ortho. I go back in a week to get it reevaluated.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Oh no, that sucks! My sister had it REALLY bad in both hands/wrists and wore braces to bed. She said she felt like "the claw." I don't know what brand they were but they were black with the velcro straps (not the ace bandage type). Maybe you could use the ace bandage at night since you mentioned it's bad there and see how it goes. Good luck!  
    imageimage

EDD 1/31/13, MC May 17. EDD 3/31/13, MC July 26. I miss you so much already my angel loves

• Options
    No advice but I can relate. I have pain in one wrist and numb fingers on the other hand. I told my doc and she said it could last even after giving birth :/ 

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"