2nd Trimester
Options

HELP PLEASE!

Hi all,

Need advice from all moms of toddlers!

I am due July 1st and have toddle who's 28 months ready for prek. He's never been in day care or away from home. He's potty trained and showing all signs of being ready for school. My plan was to start him in prek in April so that I have 3 months with him to help him adjust into school and get him into routine before baby comes that's easy to follow for my in laws and husband so it's easier for me once I'm busy with baby.
Problem that occurred is that the school we really like is a very good disciplined montessori school and they can only start him in their summer program which starts end of June. But they have offered to let him come in in may and June as many days we need for 15 mins or so to get him familiar with with teachers and students and etc. however it will not get him used to the schedule and being away from home and making sure he eats well before and after school.
So I found another affordable non montessori school which has opening for two days a week and I'm thinking maybe we can start him there for two months and then if we still like the other school better we can start taking him there for three days to see and start getting him used to the school and then he would transition to it 5 days a week in June.
So question is if it's okay that we would switch schools? People do that right and it will give me idea of montessori vs not not montessori and which is better for him.

Please give me your opinions and advice. It's very important for me to spend two months with him to adjust to school without worrying about baby and it makes it fair for baby and toddler.
Thanks.

Re: HELP PLEASE!

• Options

Since he has never been in daycare or away from you for such a long period start him off slow. the 15 min a day sounds pretty good to me especially for him to get to know the teachers and staff. Once he is familiar with the staff he will feel more comfortable being around them while mommy is not there.

Start with you in the classroom maybe over in the corner allowing the teachers to show him around and to interact with the other students. Then you can move outside of the door (if their is a window of some sort) where can you still be there but just giving LO space so he can roam and be free. Then take short periods where you leave me alone and for maybe a half an hour and then an hour and then the morning etc. eventually to where you can leave him all day.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    j J
  • Options
    I think that switching schools would be as big of an adjustment as just starting school. Just at the point at which he would be developing a relationship with his teacher he would have to start all over again. I totally understand wanting time for him to adjust before baby arrives because a new baby will be change enough. My DD goes to daycare and just switching rooms is a big deal at this age. IDK if I have any advice, but just remember that kids are adaptable and if you end up just going with the montessori in late June that you won't scar him for life. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sure, it's fine to switch preschool programs. I know several moms who have done so. You don't know what will work for him, so don't assume that school A will be the one that works and school B is just temporary; it may end up being opposite.

If starting him sooner at a different school works better for you and for him as of right now, I say do it. And keep him there unless you or he strongly dislikes it for some reason or another.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imageJaimeCH:
    I think that switching schools would be as big of an adjustment as just starting school. Just at the point at which he would be developing a relationship with his teacher he would have to start all over again.  

I agree with this. If providing him time to adjust before the baby is that important to you I'd probably look for a school that can take him on in April (or whenever) and just keep him there.

I'm not interested in putting DD in a summer program- I prefer to have that one on one time with her while I can- and preschool doesn't start until a month after my due date. She'll start then. We'll take it slow and see how it goes.  

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I wouldn't plan to start him in one and switch. It happens when people move or don't like the school but I think it's a hard adjustment.

We are starting DS in a preschool I love at 2 afternoons per week this fall. He'll be 30 months but school starts two weeks after my due date. Not ideal but we will all have to adjust. I just really preferred this school over the ones with summer programs around here. My nanny is going to have a bigger role now because she'll be dropping him off and then coming over to help with the baby while I work from home those two afternoons.
    DS: 2/17/11          DD: 9/4/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"