2nd Trimester

Sleeping terribly lately.

Since becoming pregnant I was dreading the day/nights that I would no longer be able to sleep on my back or my belly. Well just a couple nights ago I go to turn onto my belly and it was the MOST uncomfortable feeling in the world. So I figured, what the hell, two of them can't be knocked out in one night can they?! Yes! They can. Lol I went to roll onto my back and it was even more uncomfortable. It was like sleeping with a beach ball filled with water on top of me. Trying to anyways. I'm not even all that big yet, I mean yes I do have somewhat of a belly going but not enough to where I thought it would affect my sleeping yet. Anyway. What do you gals use to stay comfy at night? I've heard so many mixed reviews on the Prego Pillows? I have also heard using regular pillows or body pillows help. I have done all of them, and none of them seem to help. I'm a belly sleeper. That's how I've been my whole life; that's how I need to fall asleep. I wish I could just cut a hole in my bed for my belly to fit in. It's not that it's THAT uncomfortable for me, I think it's more uncomfortable for my son, whenever I go to sleep on my back or my belly he starts kicking the crap out of me. I think he's telling me to get off of him. Lol anyway...

What exactly are the down sides of sleeping on your back and belly while pregnant? Besides the extreme discomfort? If I find a way to sleep on my belly or my back will it be bad for me or my son? 

Re: Sleeping terribly lately.

• When you lay on your back the weight of your abdomen compresses your intestines and two major blood vessels, which can lead to several uncomfortable symptoms. It's not a problem for everyone and not usually a concern until much later on, but if you're uncomfortable then it's clearly a problem for you. 

https://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/sleepingpositions.html

I know it's not helpful, but consider it nature's way of preparing you to never get a decent night's sleep ever again.  

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Get a snoogle. It'll change your life.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageBelhurstBride:

When you lay on your back the weight of your abdomen compresses your intestines and two major blood vessels, which can lead to several uncomfortable symptoms. It's not a problem for everyone and not usually a concern until much later on, but if you're uncomfortable then it's clearly a problem for you. 

https://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/sleepingpositions.html

I know it's not helpful, but consider it nature's way of preparing you to never get a decent night's sleep ever again.  

This.... it actually isn't really good for your baby's health to be on your back because of blood flow. Ok if you end up there in your sleep, but don't start off going to sleep that way.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I have been sleeping terribly as well. I toss and turn all night, and am pretty much to the point where I can no longer sleep on my belly :( Even when I feel exhausted I have a hard time falling asleep. When I do fall asleep I hardly ever have restful sleep and if I do have restful sleep its only for 1-3 hours periods and then I wake up wide awake and lay there 1-2 hours trying to fall back asleep. It has been this way for  me for the past month or so. It really must be natures way of preparing us for lack of sleep! I remember thinking I better get my beauty sleep now before LO #2 gets here ( I am lucky that LO #1 sleeps 10-12 hours a night since he was 10 months old), however I am not getting beauty sleep at all. I am going to look into a pregnancy pillow in hopes that it will help. 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I also always sleep on my belly and yes it got to a point where it became really uncomfortable. Look up Sim's Position online. This is how I always fall asleep now, except a turn onto my side further than most so that I'm almost side-lying on my belly... but not fully. A pillow under your top leg will help you from rolling over all the way.

Hope that helps!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"