August 2011 Moms

Vaccines with a cold?

Would you (or have you) have LO get their shots while they have a cold? Or what does your pedi think about it? DS woke up with a nasty cold this morning and I can tell he just doesn't feel good. We had to go in for his 18 month check-up and the dr (not our normal dr) said it was no problem for him to get the shots if he didn't have a fever. I said I was more comfortable waiting for him to feel better and the dr totally gave me the side-eye. Thoughts?
Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Vaccines with a cold?

• No fever, no lethargy?  Yeah, I'd go ahead with the vaccines.
    Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Our pedi's rule is no fever, no lethargy, no vomiting/diarrhea. But with minor cold symptoms i.e. runny nose, or minor irritability, they will still give vaccines. 

She said that 90% of the kids she sees right now have a runny nose - whether it's due to a cold or teething, who knows at this age, and we might be waiting around till summertime for shots.  So we go ahead if it's just a clear runny nose. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Piper had an ear infection the week before her 2 month vaccines, and was on antibiotics the week she got the vaccines.  I asked the pedi if she wanted us to reschedule and she said "Nope.  No reason to."  Piper didn't have any issues after the vaccines. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think the last time I asked, my Dr said they would still give the shot even if LO had a cold. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • If it's just a runny nose then they give it.  With DD in daycare I maybe have 1 week every 6 weeks that she is completely healthy.  She has had a runny nose for almost 3 weeks now.  I held off on her vaccinations 3 weeks ago because of this plus a cough and at the office she had a low grade fever so they said wait.  We did them yesterday.  She isn't sick, but again that runny nose was present.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm pretty sure they wouldn't give them to DS if he had any sign of illness or fever. They usually have a list of questions that they ask before administering shots (including whether you're feeling well).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageJaysonandKristin:
    No fever, no lethargy? nbsp;Yeah, I'd go ahead with the vaccines.

Yep. This.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"