Special Needs

Who Dx you child?

We got our Dx yesterday at Children Specialized Hospital but it was done by the Nurse Practitioner and I was just wondering if this is standard.  
10/17/2009 - Our Miracle came 10 weeks early. IF,2 MC and 1 Preemie we have our miracle.. Baby Hope 10 weeks 5days was taken from us on Dec 18, 2007. Forever with us and Forever missed. Triplets Lost baby A @ weeks, Lost Baby B at 6 weeks and lost baby Abigail at 14 weeks when she was born to little for this life..... Forever with us ....

Re: Who Dx you child?

• My ds was diagnosed by a developmental pediatrician
  • Loading the player...
  • Neurologist and then a dev pedi and a psychologist did the second opinion. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    11/10/10 The Kid
  • Mountainside's developmental peds unit isn't that great either, Auntie.  We had negative experiences there.  We use St. Peters for 1 kid and Hunderton for another.  Kid number 3 is not using anyone but we go to his geneticist and have done genetic studies.  

St. Peters does a class for "new" parents of kids on the spectrum.  I had to take the class even though he was our 3rd kid dx as autistic.  It was still helpful.  They also provide a support group for parents.  I've had someone call every week since October to see how we were.  They also provide a psychologist.  Matthew uses her.  I can say I was unhappy at the last appointment we were at  I ended up crying because Matthew had been having melt downs more frequently and doing them more in public.  I asked if he needed medicated and the response was that I needed to deal with his dx and perhaps I had a level of depression.  I have a level of overwhelmed NOT depression.  I have 3 kids on the spectrum.  One kid was beating me up and not sleeping through the night still, another kid was sucking on his arms out of  frustration and Matthew was having melt downs every few days that lasted for hours.  She also suggested I let Matthew stay up later to have one on one time.  No thank you!  I need "me" time and don't get to really sit and veg until they are in bed around 8:30.  After that, I do laundry and get ready for the next day.

Hunterdon is where we went for Jon last year after the school paid for his IEE there.  We had decided to stay there for a bit because they have someone doing educational testing through their office.  The doctor agreed with me that Jon presented with dyslexic features.  We had the testing through them, coded under medically necessary and paid only a co-pay.  We did ed testing for Matthew through them as well.  We're staying with them for a bit until and then we're going to switch over to St. Peter's to keep everyone together. 

• image-auntie-:

First dx was with a clinical psychologist. Second opinion was with a developmental pediatrician. He's also been evaluated at various times by school psychologists, a developmental neurologist and a psychiatrist who all agreed.

I know of programs that use a NP as a gatekeeper/initial eval before an appointment with a developmental pedi.

How do you feel your care was. I have heard grumblings about the ASD care at Hamilton. A lot of people I know from NJ go to CHOP in Philadelphia or St. Peter's. 

I actually like the NP and Toms River location is really nice.   He already had IEP going in and they did indicate some of the things that she mentioned.   I am little nervous since I talked to Lo SLP and she said the they are know to throw out the Dx Of Autism Spectrum a lot.  He defiantly has some red flag I really thought it was more ADHD going in but, was totally shocked when she said she thought he was on the spectrum.   We could defiantly go for a second opinion.

10/17/2009 - Our Miracle came 10 weeks early. IF,2 MC and 1 Preemie we have our miracle.. Baby Hope 10 weeks 5days was taken from us on Dec 18, 2007. Forever with us and Forever missed. Triplets Lost baby A @ weeks, Lost Baby B at 6 weeks and lost baby Abigail at 14 weeks when she was born to little for this life..... Forever with us ....
  • He was initially seen by a Dev Ped who referred to a psychologist.  The psych diagnosed him but all follow ups are with the Dev Ped.

DS 09/2008

• Our Dev Pedi gave us our DX then Neurologist confirmed/gave second opinion. And he has been evaluated by the psychologist at school.
  • imagehoundbaby:
    My ds was diagnosed by a developmental pediatrician

Mine, too. She did the evaluation jointly with a school psychologist but it was just the dev pedi at the feedback meeting.

fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Psychologist. But that is as good as it is going to get right next to the school district evaluating DS.

I would have to drive 3 hours in any direction to get a second opinion.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image-auntie-:
    imageirishbaby0708:

I actually like the NP and Toms River location is really nice.   He already had IEP going in and they did indicate some of the things that she mentioned.   I am little nervous since I talked to Lo SLP and she said the they are know to throw out the Dx Of Autism Spectrum a lot.  He defiantly has some red flag I really thought it was more ADHD going in but, was totally shocked when she said she thought he was on the spectrum.   We could defiantly go for a second opinion.

Is this for your 30 week preemie who is now about 3 1/2?

I'd definitely consider  a second opinion with the best developmental pedi you can find. I would also be wary of an SLP weighing in on this. I can appreciate that you like and trust her, but dxing ADHD and ASD are way out of her area of expertise. I'm concerned that the Toms River site's psychological services department doesn't seem to have a physician associated with it. A clinical psychologist might be a great choice to dx a highly verbal and bright school aged kid (say 6+) but a littler one needs a more holistic approach especially to parse out physical and preemie related issues.

I'm surprised, too, that your SLP would suggest they are over-dxing autism "there" given that it's Toms River. There's a well documented cluster in your area that's been talked about since the time my own son was dx'd (1999).

https://www.waterindustry.org/Water-Facts/autism-nj.htm

https://www.pediatricservices.com/prof/prof-11.htm

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(10)61977-0/fulltext

Yes I only have 1 child. SLP told me that she was not qualified but, I asked are opinion and to be honest with me what her feeling were.  We actually had a long talk today about everything too. She already knew I am very aware on the clusters in Toms River.    We did try to get in With the Developments Pedi at the Toms River site but, the wait was really long and we really wanted to get in to see what was going on.  We will get a second opinion but, want to start some service in the mean time so that we don't waste any time

• image-auntie-:
    imageirishbaby0708:

Is this for your 30 week preemie who is now about 3 1/2?

I'd definitely consider  a second opinion with the best developmental pedi you can find. I would also be wary of an SLP weighing in on this. I can appreciate that you like and trust her, but dxing ADHD and ASD are way out of her area of expertise. I'm concerned that the Toms River site's psychological services department doesn't seem to have a physician associated with it. A clinical psychologist might be a great choice to dx a highly verbal and bright school aged kid (say 6+) but a littler one needs a more holistic approach especially to parse out physical and preemie related issues.

I'm surprised, too, that your SLP would suggest they are over-dxing autism "there" given that it's Toms River. There's a well documented cluster in your area that's been talked about since the time my own son was dx'd (1999).

https://www.waterindustry.org/Water-Facts/autism-nj.htm

https://www.pediatricservices.com/prof/prof-11.htm

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(10)61977-0/fulltext

Yes I only have 1 child. SLP told me that she was not qualified but, I asked are opinion and to be honest with me what her feeling were.  We actually had a long talk today about everything too. She already knew I am very aware on the clusters in Toms River.    We did try to get in With the Developments Pedi at the Toms River site but, the wait was really long and we really wanted to get in to see what was going on.  We will get a second opinion but, want to start some service in the mean time so that we don't waste any time

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"