Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Ds won't eat veggies

Ds won't eat any veggies.  I have tried several and have tried them many times but he throws them. If he does try them, he spit them out.  He eats all kinds of fruit.  He likes the pouches. Do these give him enough vegetables?  Obviously, I would like it if he ate the real thing because he won't eat pouches forever. But until then, are the pouches a good substitute?  
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Ds won't eat veggies

• Options
    I think they are ok for now. My son eats them. We have one in the diaper bag at all times. It's a whole lot better than other snacks I see kids eating.
  • Options

I just had this convo with a co-worker this morning. Except LO's not a big fan of most fruits either. :/ I hate to "trick" him into eating them, because I want him to like them on his own, but rapidly realizing that may not happen anytime soon.  I watched the biggest loser and saw one of the kids with the same issue, and his parents hid the veggies in food...wondering if that's what I need to do at this point myself.  Looking for recipes where it may be successful.

I reluctantly went to pouches myself. :/ Good luck!  Hopefully we can both find some solutions!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. I asked her Ped about it and she said as long as she is eating all colors of friut then thats whats most important. She also suggested trying to get her to eat Quinoa and said it was full of nutrients (this might be more becuase she doesn't eat much meat either)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic              image 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

LO will eat any veggie i give her, but she is picky about how it is prepared. Take sweet potatoes for example. If they are baked in the oven she will eat them plain, i'm sure the oven brings out their sugar more than steaming them. If i cube and steam them she won't eat them unless i sprinkle cinnamon on them for flavor. Avocados she will only eat if cubed, but not smashed.  Brussel sprouts have to still be a little crispy but roasted. Just keep experimenting. As LO gets older i do notice that she is more aware of the difference between our plates. She wont eat something if i am not eating it.

• Options
    I think the pouches aren't too bad for them now. The other thing you can try to do is hide it in their food. At least you know that they are getting it in them.  Try things like zucchini cakes...you can switch up what spices you put in them to make it appeal more to your child. My DD loves these...eats them like bread.
    After 2 years of TTC, our daughter was born on Oct 31, 2011!
    7lbs 13oz  20 inches long
    image"Lilypie">

• Options

imageFabulousMrs.P:
    I think the pouches aren't too bad for them now. The other thing you can try to do is hide it in their food. At least you know that they are getting it in them.  Try things like zucchini cakes...you can switch up what spices you put in them to make it appeal more to your child. My DD loves these...eats them like bread.

Do you mean like zucchini cake? Because that is an innapropriate substitute for a vegetable. It's a dessert.

I would try blending sweeter veggies and fruits (a banana works well to sweeten blended peas and carrots) with milk to make smoothies, or something like that.

• Options
    imagepotbellypig:

imageFabulousMrs.P:

Do you mean like zucchini cake? Because that is an innapropriate substitute for a vegetable. It's a dessert.

I would try blending sweeter veggies and fruits (a banana works well to sweeten blended peas and carrots) with milk to make smoothies, or something like that.

Oh nevermind. Just clicked the link (didn't realized it clicked at first). Those are a good idea.

• Options

imageAA0417:
    My LO prefers most veggies raw. He loves bell peppers especially, but I can't even get him to pick them up if they are cooked. Not sure if you have tried veggies that way or not, but it's an idea. Kids are naturally pickier as toddlers, so using pouches for now isn't going to doom your LO, but still keep trying regular forms, maybe after a break from them so they are "new" again.

I definitely agree with varying up the methods of "preparation"  (AA and I both have kids who are raw bell pepper junkies). If I give my son steamed broccoli he devours it - but raw?  He won't touch it.

My guy prefers some vegetables raw (tomatoes, bell peppers, cauliflower), some he'll only eat IN something like soup (spinach, kale, etc.), some he likes roasted (carrots, sweet potatoes), some he likes sauteed (zucchini), some he even prefers frozen! (peas, carrots, etc.).

Also try playing off of what he does like to eat - my guy loves beans, so edamame and peas are pretty popular "green" veggies in my house.  He'll snack on them day and night. If your son likes cheese, parmesean is a great "flavoring" for vegetables.  And speaking of flavoring, don't forget to add some to your veggies, pepper, garlic powder, lemon juice even a smidge of salt sometimes help. 

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DS decided to stop eating veggies after he turned 1, before that he loved them. He loves the pouches too. So I started making my own veggie purees and putting them in a Sili Squeeze, which is like a reusable pouch, he eats them that way and loves it. I still offer him whole veggies, but he'll rarely eat them, although he does have a few favorites that I can count him eating atleast some of. But he'll eat anything from the pouch. Also, I don't see a problem giving him the store bought pouches either, I take them in the diaper bag. Just pay attention to the ingredients, the ones I buy, usually only have the veggies, nothing added, he's still getting all the nutrients of that vegetable and that's the important thing.
    After 2years TTC and 1yr,2mo waiting for an adoption match, our blessing is here!

"You may not have my eyes or smile, but from that very first moment you had my heart"Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Surprise BFP made our family complete!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

DS loves veggies that are cooked with other stuff. I make a salsa chicken I cook in the Crock Pot that has broccoli, cauliflower and carrots. He eats them right up because he loves the taste of the salsa :)

I also have made egg muffins that are packed full of veggies and super delish!

(I have both recipes listed on my blog, in siggy, in the recipes section if you're interested!) 

BFP #1: 3.28.11 Dx w/ PIH @ 24w DS Born @ 36w: 11.7.11 6 Days in NICU
    BFP #2: 8.31.16 Dx w/ GD @ 28w DD Born @ 36w: 4.21.17

• Options
    it doesn't really help you now, but we had friends whose son wouldn't eat veggies. their pedi told them to keep putting veggies on his plate every night and not make a big deal about eating them, and it took about six months, but one day he just started eating them on his own and now loves almost all veggies. take PP suggestions so that you know he's getting veggies now, but you might want to try continuing to offer them on his plates at mealtimes and one day maybe he'll surprise you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We do pouches all the time. I only buy the organic ones with like 2 or 3 ingredients so I know there isn't any added sugar. I figure I might as well spend the money there than instead of wasting it on extra veggies she's not going to eat. We have discovered she loves salt (grrreeaaatt, right?) and I will make stir fry every once in awhile and she DEVOURS the veggies that have soy sauce on them. I didn't read every response all the way through, but I did see quite a few people talking about hiding veggies. Our chef at work (I work at the daycare my daughter attends) blends all sorts of veggies up when she makes spaghetti sauce. You can hide ANYTHING in there! And if your LO is anything like mine, pasta is like candy, especially with a tomato sauce.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"