2nd Trimester
Options

Childbirth, etc classes?

Are you planning, or have you already, taken childbirthing class? What about breastfeeding or newborn care classes? I took all of them with my first, but I don't think I'll do it this time around. 

I did just find out about a really cool new class "Mombirthing", which is focused solely on the emotional experience of becoming a mom.  It's offered online, via conference call.  Check it out: www.mostformoms.com.

I wish I'd known about it when I was pregnant with my first--I really could have used it!!! I was NOT prepared for the feelings I had after he was born! 

Re: Childbirth, etc classes?

• Options
    With DS we did the hospital tour and I did the breastfeeding class and that's it.  I think we want to do a sibling preparation class for DS this time and I think they'll make us take the hospital tour again.  I'm not sure if I'll do any more childbirth classes.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I will probably take some classes.  Not sure which ones.  I got some info about classes offered at the hospital I will be delivering at at my 1st appointment.  I want to take a labor and delivery class and possibly a baby basics class.  Maybe a intro to breastfeeding class too.  The info I got recommends taking the classes when you're between 5 and 8 months.

Anniversary

Follow Me on Pinterest

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Classes I feel are valuable:

Childbirth class 
    Breastfeeding class
    Newborn Class
    First Aid/CPR

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

I'm going to take whatever class is offered by the doula I choose. I am in the process of selecting one, and all of them offer childbirth/childcare/breastfeeding classes. 

12/19/2012 BFP! 
    EDD 08/26/2013 
    Our little girl arrived 8/22/2013!

• Options
    We did the hospital tour, the natural birth/lamaze class, the taking care of baby class, and the breastfeeding class with our first. I didn't feel like I needed any classes after we'd already had one. Unless I was planning a completely different birth (switching from medicated to unmedicated) or I had issues with breastfeeding last time that I thought a class might help prevent this time - I'm not sure why I would take classes about a process once I'd been thought it...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagedani_brewer:
    I'm planning on doing classes, but I'm not sure when is the right time to start. I'm gonna ask my doctor about it at my next appointment on the 18th. About how far along in your pregnancy did you start the classes last time?

Our hospital schedules you for them based on your due date.  They try and schedule them 1-2 months in advance of your due date so the information is still fresh in your mind, but you don't risk missing the class in case you go early.  Not sure if all hospitals do it this way.

Baby Q born on 7/20/2017
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagePrimRoseMama:
    Classes I feel are valuable:

Childbirth class 
    Breastfeeding class
    Newborn Class
    First Aid/CPR

Agreed. The first three were combined into a 7 week series for me.

Also, this being your first post makes me kind of side-eye this as spam.  

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm planning to do childbirthing classes with our OB office. There's a breastfeeding class too but we haven't decided if we'll do that one too or not. The Mombirthing class sounds interesting. Similar to the job a doula does. 
    imageimage
    Anniversary

• Options
    I took a childbirth class with my first (bradley method), and just reviewed the books I had with my second. I'll probably skim through them later in this pregnancy as well.  I continue to use the bradley method for my labors, btw. That and Ina May Gaskins's advice of loose jaw, loose sphincter...
  • Options

I'm trying for a VBAC so I will be taking a hypnobabies class, and will also be renewing my first aid/cpr. I've already taken the childbirth class not long ago, so I still have my materials from that class and I'm just reviewing it all. My hospital requires a hospital tour, so I'll be doing that too. This is a different hospital than we had with DD so I'm looking forward to seeing where we'll be!

I'm also reading Ina May's book of childbirth. Very insightful. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"