Infertility
Options

Day 5 transfer

Hello,  

I just got a call from the hospital telling me that I am day 5 transfer. Is that good or bad? She, the nurse, told me that is a really good thing. I am not sure. I was so ready to go in today for day 3 transfer. It really threw me off.

Any thoughts are welcomed. thanks very much 

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Day 5 transfer

• Options

***TICKER WARNING***

That is terrific news!  The longer you wait before transfer, the better able the RE/embryologist is able to pick the best embryo(s) to transfer.  For example, on day 3 you might have 5 embryos that looks fantastic, but by day 5 you might only have 2 great looking ones, and any of the other 3 could have done as bad as to stop growing.  At day 5, you are able to avoid the ones that didn't continue growing past day 3, and put the ones that did.  Hope that makes sense.

FWIW, I had day 5 transfers both times and was successful.  In both cases, my number of great embryos at day 5 was lower than at day 3 (as expected).  Congrats on a day 5 transfer, and wishing you all the best!

10/10: Married; 5/11: Dx: Blocked Fallopian Tube; 7/11: D&C/Hysteroscopy to remove polyp
    IVF #1: 9/11: ER: 12R, 11M, 10F, No Frosties; 5dt: 2 blasts, 1 morula; DD born 6/3/12
    IVF #2: 11/12-12/12: ER: 20R, 20M, 16F, 4 Frosties; 5dt: 3 blasts, DS born 8/9/13
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    From what my RE told me, a 5dt is a good thing. 5dt means that they have enough embryos to let them mature a bit longer and hatch so they can pick the best candidates. Think about it as a race. After 10 feet, all the runners look pretty clustered. As you go further, the playing field begins to open up and you can make better decisions. If you didn't have that luxury, then you would do a 3dt because there is some evidence that hatching an embryo inside your body is beneficial to the embryo vs. in a lab. Hope that helps.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks so much for your response. Congrats on your pregnancy! Best of luck to you too. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks very much for your response. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Like PP said, 5dt is a good thing.  And keep in mind- there's less time between 5dt and beta then there is between 3dt and beta.  So less time to drive yourself nuts waiting!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"