Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Helmet Issue WWYD?

Okay everyone, if any of you has the patience to read through all this...i could really use some outside opinions!

So ever since my son was born, he's had issues with always turning and leaning his head to the left. Because of this, he has a flat spot on one side, and one ear is a little more forward than the other. His pediatricians noticed this in the beginning (we go to a practice where we see many different doctors) but they all said that it would self correct as he got older, or that it didn't look like a big deal to them.

Anyway when my son was around 5 mo old, I brought him to the doctor for a cold. The pedi we saw noted his flat spot, and said she would give us the pamphlet for a helmet guy. I asked if that was really necessary, how serious this was, etc. The doctor made it pretty clear that she had no answers for me; she just said that I should go and see what the helmet guy had to say.  This really surprised me, because a month a half earlier, a different pedi said my son's head looked fine.

I brought my son back to the practice to get another opinion from a different pedi. She took a look, hesitated a lot, and finally said that we probably should bring him to the helmet place, although it was hard to tell. She said that because his ears were a little off, it might be worth fixing.

DH and I brought LO to the recommended place. The guy took one look and said "Oh yeah, he definitely needs a helmet." He also told us to get LO into PT for torticollis ASAP, to correct his leaning his head to one side all the time. The guy sort of left us with the feeling that if we didn't do anything, the consequences for LO could be very serious. DH and I left there feeling pretty resigned to doing the helmet.

I got my son into PT right away, and starting bringing him twice a week, as well as doing exercises with him at home. However, the helmet guy we had been to se wasn' in our insurance network, so we decided to find a new place.

About two weeks after seeing the first helmet guy, we brought our son to a different office. THis time, the guy took a look and said, "It doesn't look all that bad." He took some measurements (which he kept saying might not be exact) and told us that LO issue was moderate. He said it was purely cosmetic, should have no bearing on his health at all, and that we would just have to decide whether or not we wanted to go through with the helmet. Honestly, he made it sound like the helmet wasn't necessary. He even said that plenty of doctors didn't believe in helmets at all! Again, dh and i had been planning on getting the helmet, but now we started having second thoughts. We agreed to bring LO back in about 4 weeks remeasure and see if the PT itself was helping him improve naturally.

Anyway, at that point, i pretty much told myself that the helmet wouldn't be necessary. LO was doing lots of therapy, sitting up more, doing more tummy time, etc. I thought for sure things would only get better, and if I saw even a little improvement, i was'nt doing the helmet. DH felt the same. We both felt like a huge burden had been lifted. BTW, I brought LO for his follow up flu shot last week, and yet another pedi said his head looked fine.

Yesterday, we brought LO for his follow-up. The guy measured him, and actually said that number was a little worse (although he added it might have been because of how he was holding the ruler). The guy then said he would recommend doing the helmet. I was surprised because the last time, I felt like he was saying the opposite. He said, again, the issue would be only cosmetic, and it would probably correct on its own, eventually--but that the helmet would be an extra guarantee of that. He also said that the problem wouldn't get worse if we decided not to do the helmet. In the end, he never gave us a compelling reason to do it...but still said that officially, he recommends it.

So now, I don't know what to do. I will do anything that would be in my son's best interest, but this helmet seems like it would be a lot of effort and trouble for something no one can even give us a straight answer about. If the problems going to correct itself or at least not get worse, I don't see why we need to do anything. On the other hand, I know if we don't take steps to start the helmet process in the next month or so, we'll have missed our window, and I couldn't stand it if we made a decision that would cause my son to suffer the rest of his life. I'm afraid I don't want the helmet for the wrong reasons (because it would be easier on me). 

So now we have three choices: get the helmet, don't get the helmet, or wait another 4-6 weeks and measure LO again. Right now I don't feel completely comfortable with any of these. DH is leaning towards not doing the helmet at all--which i guess i am, too, although it makes me nervous.

Well, thanks for letting me pour my thoughts out a bit. If you've made it this far, your thoughts would be appreciated!

Re: Helmet Issue WWYD?

• Options
    Hey there! We went through a similar issue, although I was a few months ago. Granted we were only seeing one pedi. Anyways, the helmet person we go to see has a scanner where they actually scan then babies head, and figures out mathematically whether your lo needs it. Our said hen was a really good candidate due to the math. I know I was personally besides myself for having my wonderful little boy needing a helmet and felt awful about it.  However I like you would have felt awful if there was something I could do to correct this and didn't do anything. I know that also many sources stated that's purely cosmetic but also several sources that stated that it can lead to sinus issues as well.   So we decided to do the helmet, and lo doesn't mind at all, and in a few months he will be completely done.I think its worth it but that's just my option! Good luck!

1999- Dx Prolactinoma

8-25-2012 - Lucas born via C-section at 38 Weeks 2 days
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

Wow. This has been such a ride for you... I would be so frustrated by all the different opinions and just want a direct answer. 

My DS also has torticollis and his ears were also not lined up... I noticed it pretty quickly at around 2 months.  I also noticed his forehead stuck out more on one side and his eye was pushed back a little on the other... basically his facial symmetry was off because of the flat spot.

i did a ton of research in a short amount of time but what i learned through the whole process is this still a very tough subject for pediatricians. the earlier torticollis and plagiocephaly are caught, the better but yet pedis are still waiting. My pedi was on board from day one when I pointed out his head shape at DS two month wellness visit. he immediately sent me for a head scan and my DS was put in a helmet at 3.5 months. 

it was a VERY hard decision but the best one my DH and i have ever made.  

hoping everything turns out for you and your family. if you have any questions, feel free to ask.. i have been on this helmet/torticollis journey since LO was one month. Good luck! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you're concerned that you might regret not getting the helmet down the line, I would go ahead and do it.  My 18-month old nephew (who I'll call N) wore a helmet for about 4 months, and it really was not a difficult or bothersome process for him at all.  I know to us adults those helmets look really uncomfortable, but N really never minded it at all.  And I'll point out that he lives in Phoenix and had to wear his helmet during the summer, when it's 120 degrees outside.  The helmet really made quite a dramatic difference for him.  My SIL joked that in a way, the helmet was kind of nice because N was learning to walk at around the time he was wearing the helmet.  He took a lot of hard falls but she felt comforted by the fact that the helmet was providing a little extra cushion.  I know she was a little annoyed by all the questions she got when she went out with N, but that was really the only difficulty.  N really hardly noticed the helmet.
  • Options
    We went through this. Dds head was sooo flat on her left side and her right side super round..hers ears were crooked and her jaw was slightly off. All this happened after she was born cause we put her in the playpen to sleep and she would stare to the side at the ceiling fan. We did the therapy twice a week and did the stretches and everything at home also. We started her therapy early at 3 or 4 months. Their head is still really soft and can shift back we changed how weput her to bed also. I would say keep up the stretches at home and wait the 34 weeks. See where its at then use your best judgement if they say its just cosmetic. Depending on your insurance helmets are expensive as heck. Lo never needed to get one and is just fine now. :
  • Options
    I would be so frustrated if I were in your shoes. The idea of a helmet can be so stressful. My DD has torticollis and they noticed it at her 1 month but didn't act like it was a big deal and said do stretches and it should correct itself. By her 4month visit they wanted us to do physical therapy. My husband goes to a chiropractor who also works with children. He was telling him and he said if we were willing he treated babies with torticollis. We took her to see him and he started working with her, we played phone tag trying to get her physical therapy all set up. We saw a lot of improvement from the Chiropractor, they just put a little pressure with their hands on her head trying to shift things, which is what the helmet does. We did the PT and saw the chiropractor for a couple months before they could get us in to the helmet Dr. In that time her head made great improvements and when we saw him he said she didn't need one. I was so relieved. You might try taking her to a pediatric chiropractor. It is another option and if it is a mild case they can help a lot. She started going to the chiropractor twice a week and with in a couple months once a week and now we go once every two weeks. I know it sounds crazy but it really helped my DD and she didn't have to get a helmet. It is a really tough decision, you want to do what is best for your LO and don't want to regret not getting it but don't want to do something unnecessary. I hope our experience will help you. Good Luck to you and your LO.
  • Options
    My cousins had the exact same issue. My aunt and uncle decided to do helmets for both of them and spray painted them like Oregon Duck football helmets. It was adorable. But I strongly recommend you do the helmet, even for cosmetic issues. Their heads are perfect now and they really benefited from it!
  • Options
    I think the helmet really depends on how flat his head is. DS was born with torticollis and was diagnosed at 6weeks. We went to baby physio and discussed the helmet there but our physio had us try to do stretches and exercises with DS first and we tried to keep him off his head as much as possible. DS still has a flat spot but it is improving. We have gone to physio once a month since and have our last appointment in April. Our physio guy told us they have until 14months old for it to correct itself. I see from your ticket your son is 7months so you could try the exercises and stretches and keep him off his head except to sleep during the day and see if things improve in the next two months and then decide? I think you still have time. As your son gets more mobile he will be spending more time sitting and crawling that will help as well. Hope this helps!
    Blake012913DSCF1379
  • Options

I would do it. no doubt.

Do it now while his head is soft.  If it sets this way, you'll regret it. 

Me: 36 (Endo) DH: 39 (Azoo)
    5 DIUI - BFN
    IVF#1 - BFP - AJ 7/12
    FET#1 - BFP Due 7/24/14
    imageimage
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    image imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Thanks for the thoughtful responses, everyone! It's been super frustrating, but I feel better now that I've had some time to proceeds all of this. LO has PT tomorrow, so I plan to discuss this with the therapist. But right now, I'm leaning towards doing the helmet...I'd rather not risk LO having a long term problem. I'm going to continue to give it some thought...
  • Options

imageGreco1014:
    Thanks for the thoughtful responses, everyone! It's been super frustrating, but I feel better now that I've had some time to proceeds all of this. LO has PT tomorrow, so I plan to discuss this with the therapist. But right now, I'm leaning towards doing the helmet...I'd rather not risk LO having a long term problem. I'm going to continue to give it some thought...

I am so happy to hear that you are leaning towards getting the helmet... you will not regret it... i promise! :) 

• Options

We just got our helmet last week. Our pedis (large practice like yours) were pushing the helmet. I was on the fence because I didn't think his flat spot was that bad. DH, on the other hand, wanted it. Guys, I think, are more sensitive to it, especially if they don't have a ton of hair themselves.

Our insurance covered half, so we still had to pay OOP, but it wasn't a lot. I agree with the helmet guy who said it's purely cosmetic. Either way, I was afraid we would regret not doing it.

DS ws bothered by it the first day, but now it rarely bothers him. And in just over a week I can already see progress!

GL!

• Options

We went through very similar emotions back in November.  At DS's 2 month appointment I brought up my concern about his flat head.  He slept staring straight up--never looked to the side, even if we repositioned him he'd move back.  The pedi said to give it awhile, and as he became more mobile it would probably fix itself.  Fast forward to his 4 month appointment (he still only slept staring straight up) and we were referred to an orthotist.

They use the star band helmets, and so he was scanned and measured.  His cephalic index (ratio of width to length of the head) was 104%, which they considered severe.  In other words, his head was wider ear to ear than it was long from forehead to the back of his head.  Ideally that ratio should be closer to 80%.  

We went back and forth...I did NOT want to have to put DS through a helmet (and US through a helmet, lol).  Ultimately we went with it though, and even though he has super sensitive skin and would break out in rashes and get pressure spots often and it is a huge pain going the 45 minutes to the orthotist every 2-3 weeks, we are SO glad we did it.  He has been in the helmet 3 months now, and his ratio is down to 94% which is still high but his head looks SO much better!  He was scanned again at his appointment this week for the first time since November, and when the orthotist brought up the 3d images side by side of before and now I couldn't BELIEVE how bad his head looked.  I am so so so glad we went with it.  I guess for us we saw ourselves down the road more likely wishing that we had done the helmet if we tried it, than wishing we hadn't done it if we had gone forward with it (if that makes any sense).

Good luck in your decision!

Mr. & Mrs. UMich! July 2006! :-)
    DX: High FSH/DOR
    It took 44 cycles, just over 3 years, 6 failed IUI's in MI, and 1 round of IVF at CCRM to get our BFP!

Beta #1 (9dp5dt) = 206, Beta #2 (11dp5dt) = 438
    1st u/s @ 6w5d = 11/11/11 = ONE little bean! HB 120bpm!
    ?Our Baby Boy Born June 26th, 2012?

• Options

We went through the same thing!  We decided to go ahead and get it.  We felt that since we have the chance to do it now and if it doesn't correct itself we will regret not getting it.  I will do anything I can to help my son if I can.  It can be a tough decision because of the cost and the hassle. 

We have had ours for just a week and he is adjusting to it waaaay better than I expected.  It bothers me way more than it does him.  He is 8 months old.  

Bottom line,  if you have the option to do it and you can afford it, I would do it.  You would hate to regret it and then have it affect the rest of his life.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers image
  • Options
    We are in the process of getting a doc band. I understand your hesitation, but everyone I talked to about it said it was the best decision they have ever made. They should be scanning his head or taking 3d pictures, the ruler and odd measurements sound a little off.
  • Options
    jw87jw87 member
    I'm a firm believer in your own mommy instincts.  Only you know what is best for your child.  GL! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"