Babies on the Brain
Options

Too close of a name?

I posted this on the Baby Name board a while ago, but thought I would get the opinions from over here too....Plus, the board is a little slow right now, and I'm a little bored, waiting for DH to come home.

MH and I have had our girl name picked out since we started TTGP the first time. It's Emmalynn Marie. Well, my sister in law has her girl name picked out (she's not even in a steady relationship but still). Her name is Jaylynn Marie (not sure of the spelling she has picked out though).

I'm thinking we'll have a girl before she does, but there is the off chance we don't. If for some reason she does and uses that name, would you still you Emmalynn Marie? If you were an outsider looking in, and saw that there was a family that had two cousins relatively close in age with those names, what would be your first thought?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Too close of a name?

• Options
    Two different names to me. I wouldn't think twice about it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Options

Cart before horse.

I have changed my mind about names so many times.  Plus, you really have no idea if/when you will have a girl.  Her future SO might hate the name she picked out.  Don't borrow trouble.

Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagebugandbibs:
    Don't borrow trouble.

I know it's easier said than done, but really try not to waste energy thinking about this at this point.  I'm a big planner and overthinker as well, so I know how it is!  But like others have said, there are soooooo many factors involved here that it's really not worth worrying about at this point.  The chances of it being an issue are pretty darn small.

For what it's worth, and if it makes you feel any better, I wouldn't think anything was odd about having two cousins with those names.  Siblings, perhaps, but not cousins.  They're different enough, and who knows what nicknames will come into play.

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options

I prob wouldn't even think about it, unless they were printed next to each other. Then I would be like ooo maybe lynn is someone specials name.

I just wouldn't share any thoughts about names with her.  

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagebugandbibs:

Cart before horse.

I have changed my mind about names so many times.  Plus, you really have no idea if/when you will have a girl.  Her future SO might hate the name she picked out.  Don't borrow trouble.

This.

And Jaylynn is awful.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    What everyone else has said, and thsi: my sister and two cousins all share a middle name. I wonder at the time if my mom and aunts thought anything of it. The first names seem very different to me.
  • Options
    I don't see any problem.

• Options
    Marie is a pretty common middle name and the first names are different. I'd still use it if I were you.
  • Options

What everyone else said. 

Plus - even if your SIL does have a girl and does use the name Jaylynn, my money is on at least one of the girls being called by a nickname. Emmalynn is kind of a long name for a little girl; unless you are adamantly against it, there's a good chance people will end up calling her Emma.

I have friends who are cousins who both have the middle name Marie. It's a very common middle name, and I've never thought it was weird that they have the same MN. 

• Options
    Nearly every girl I grew up with either had the middle name Marie, so I wouldn't worry too much about the middle names.  I also agree with a PP that mentioned Emmalynn being a bit of a mouthfull for small child.  Unless you're really against nicknames, she will most likely be called Emma.  If you're not one for nicknames, then perhaps consider names that cannot be made into nicknames (ex. Tara).  
    Married the love of my life 7/11/08
    Me: 29 DH: 36
    November 2008 Dx FvL by Hematologist
    February 2013 Dx PCOS, MTHFR, and PAI-1 by ObGYN
    May 2013 TTC begins! Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    imagehuskymomma94:
    imagebugandbibs:

Cart before horse.

This.

And Jaylynn is awful.

Agreed! Jaylynn?! Sheesh.

"Your truth is different from my truth, and we're both right."

TTC since March 2013. BFP 4/13/13, blighted ovum discovered 6/6/13, m/c 6/8/13.

BFP 11/10/13, EDD 7/25/13 - stick little owlet!

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I would really try not to think about it right now. There are way too many "ifs" in this situation for it to warrant any kind of stress on your part.

Even if it does end up happening, I would not think twice about it. Two different names.
    married 7.11.09
    Me: 31 DH: 36
    DD (14) and DS (11) adopted from US Foster care December 2016
    BFP April 24, 2018 | EDD December 29, 2018
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"