Received M's official FASD diagnosis and report today — The Bump
Adoption

Received M's official FASD diagnosis and report today

He has static encephalopathy (alcohol exposed). In the simplest terms, static encephalopathy is permanent, unchanging brain damage. By "permanent, unchanging" they mean it won't get any better or worse over time.

This doesn't change much, except now we have a way of sharing it with necessary parties without necessarily bringing up the alcohol-related part. There's just so much stigma attached to that, and we believe that part of M's story (his mother's alcoholism) is his private history, and not ours to broadcast to the world. So now we can just share the static encephalopathy diagnosis, or explain that he has a brain abnormality without revealing any other personal details.

Other than that, it's exactly what we thought, and we just have to continue our adjustment to this new realization of our reality.

Re: Received M's official FASD diagnosis and report today

• I can imagine how great it must be to have something that doesn't spell out alcohol exposure. I love hearing updates on your family.
    Married on 3.20.2004. It took 30 month, 2 failed adoptions and IVF for our first miracle. We have had 9 foster kids since he was born and started the domestic adoption process when he was 10 month old, we had 4 failed matches in that time. After our daughter was born we brought her home and spent 2 weeks fearing we might lose her because of complications that came up. But Praise God all went through and she is ours forever! Expecting again after IVF Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
  • I am so glad that you guys finally have a diganosis that does not directly involve alcohol! Hopefully having concrete facts and a "reason" will make things easier for all of you.

Mother of two wonderful boys! Blessed through adoption.

• Loading the player...
  • I'm sure that it brings mixed feelings, but hopefully the diagnosis helps you move forward.
    ***************************** Our beautiful daughter was born in October 2009. Turns out she was quite the miracle. After two years of TTC, diagnosed with DOR. A couple of failed treatment cycles later, we decided to let go of our hope for more biological children and explore adoption.
  • image mtendere:
    I'm sure that it brings mixed feelings, but hopefully the diagnosis helps you move forward.
    My thoughts exactly. HUGS
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards