Success after IF

Throwing advice

My DS is in a throwing phase and its driving me insane. He throws his food on the floor, throws dirt at the dog, throws toys across the room, etc. Someone please help! He is 21 months. Ive tried saying no, making him pick up what he has thrown, smacked his hand and dont feel good about that. TIA.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Throwing advice

• No advice. The only thing we currently do with our hands is gnaw on them. J could have stumps on the ends of her arms for all she has noticed. I'm sure I will be asking the same question in 19m, so I will check back from some brilliant advice. Good luck!
    TTC Since 3/2010
    Me-36, Unexplained Infertility, DH-35, all clear
    Clomid 50mg 12/2011 = BFN
    Clomid 100mg 1/2012 = BFN, with Cyst
    IVF #1 Lupron/Menopur/Gonal-f/HCG Trigger
    ER 4/19/12 = 11 retrieved, 6 fertilized,
    ET 4/22/12 = 2 transfered (day 3), remaining 3 weren't good enough to freeze
    Beta 5/3 = BFP, 87 Beta #2 5/7 560.9 Beta #3 5/9 1376.5 First u/s One Baby, 125bpm!
    Second u/s, 176bmp! Kicked over to the OB by the RE at 8w. Team Green!! 
    Baby girl J arrived two weeks early! Born into water, med-free. Hooray for Team Pink!

TTC #2 - back to the RE, treatment started 12/2014. 

• imageMrs.AmyDylan:
    No advice. The only thing we currently do with our hands is gnaw on them. J could have stumps on the ends of her arms for all she has noticed. I'm sure I will be asking the same question in 19m, so I will check back from some brilliant advice. Good luck!

Lol. Is she going through teething or self soothing?
  • Loading the player...
  • I think it's important whenever your child is misbehaving is to identify the function of the behavior. Is he throwing stuff to get your attention? Is he doing it because he's showing you he's all done with his food?

At this age I would just try to redirect him to an appropriate behavior. If you think he's doing it for attention I would take whatever he's throwing away without giving him any attention. And remember even though its frustrating its a phase and this too shall pass.
    Diagnosed MFI- low sperm count  
    DS-Born 7/27/11 After 2 years of IF we have our little man
    TTC#2 January 2013
    11 Medicated cycles gave us
    B/G Twins born 10/8/14 @ 32 weeks
  • Consistency and redirection. Every time he throws something you can calmly say, "We don't throw things inside." Then direct him to another activity. When I try to sound stern, DS thinks it is hilarious so I just use my normal voice. Also, find times when he is acting appropriately and jump all over it. Get excited and tell hm, "You are playing so nicely right now. You're doing a great job of holding on to your toys." During meal time DS used to throw his food. I realized that when he was little I used to react to it by saying, "Oops" or something like that. He thought my reacting was funny. So I stopped reacting and ignored it during meal time. He stopped doing it when I stopped reacting to it.
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • imageBabyKsMommy:
    I think it's important whenever your child is misbehaving is to identify the function of the behavior. Is he throwing stuff to get your attention? Is he doing it because he's showing you he's all done with his food?

At this age I would just try to redirect him to an appropriate behavior. If you think he's doing it for attention I would take whatever he's throwing away without giving him any attention. And remember even though its frustrating its a phase and this too shall pass.

This exactly!
    DX: Anovulation
    TX: IUI #1-4 = BFN + 1 c/p
    IUI #5: Clomid 100mg + Bravelle + Trigger + B2B IUIs + 800mg Progesterone = BFP!
    Beta #1 (14dpiui): 460 Beta #2 (16dpiui): 998 Beta #3 (23dpiui): 21,832 Beta #4 (29dpiui): 129,771

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think BabyK and drangonfly gave really good advice.  

When my DD does something that she is not supposed to be doing over and over again I eventually break her by sticking to my guns and not backing down - no matter how many times she requires the redirection.  

Example:  She went through a phase where she thought running across our sectional couch was the best thing ever.  Every time she would get up and run I would calmly and sternly say, "We sit on the couch." and I would take her and plunk her butt down.  She'd get up, I'd sit her down again.  She'd get up, I'd sit her down again and the cycle continued until she would finally break, sit and cry for a minute and then get over it.  After a few days of this, she stopped and hasn't done it since.  If I ask her to do something and she does the whole selective listening thing, counting to 3 works for me.  Very rarely do we get to 3 and when we do she really doesn't like it.    

Maybe when he goes to pick up sand/mud/whatever, try saying, "We don't throw XYZ." and remove it from his hand.  Repeat until he stops.  Or you could try, "Mini Imoverit, put down the mud now.  1, 2, ..." and when you get to 3 if he's about to chuck it anyway, remove it from his hand and tell him no.  

These are just a few things that work for me.   

He'll get over this phase just like they always get over whatever funk they are in eventually.  Just the joys of toddlerhood!  ;)     

*My Loves, My Life, My Littles*

02/18/11, 05/24/12 and 12/03/13

• I am sorry your DS is going through a tough stage.  I think you got some great advice here :) I am a little behind you in age, mine are 16 months but redirection does not work for my DS he will continue to try over & over again, he never gives up, my "serious" voice makes him laugh.  GL I hope this phase is short lived for your DS.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Hmm, not to make light if the situation but C has started throwing her paci at us. She knows exactly what she is doing. Grabs it outta her mouth and winds up! Her father the softball coach is delighted. She is a sassy one month old! I fear by 21 months we may be in the stage of grounding her!
    ~ Me, 30 DH, 32 ~ TTC since Oct 2009 septum resection 3/2010 stage IV endo 8/2011 IVF #1 1/25/12, 2 transferred, 2 frozen - BFN FET 2/22/12, 2 transferred - BFN IVF#2 5/12, transferred 3, froze 5, BFP! Beta 1: 151, Beta 2: 282 Cerclage placed @ 17 weeks due to shortening cervix, modified bed rest until delivery SAIF/PAIF always welcome image It's a girl! ~ Clare was born 1/31/13
  • Thanks so much for all the advice ladies. Going to try them all. Honestly he is such an angel and if throwing is his only issue I guess I can deal with that. It doesnt make me angry it just drives me batty. Its just one of those things that you work on 100 times and he still looks at you and chucks his carrot on the floor. Lol
  • imageimoverit:
    imageMrs.AmyDylan:
    No advice. The only thing we currently do with our hands is gnaw on them. J could have stumps on the ends of her arms for all she has noticed. I'm sure I will be asking the same question in 19m, so I will check back from some brilliant advice. Good luck!
    Lol. Is she going through teething or self soothing?

She is only two months, so it is self-soothing. She does it when she is hungry or tired.  

TTC Since 3/2010
    Me-36, Unexplained Infertility, DH-35, all clear
    Clomid 50mg 12/2011 = BFN
    Clomid 100mg 1/2012 = BFN, with Cyst
    IVF #1 Lupron/Menopur/Gonal-f/HCG Trigger
    ER 4/19/12 = 11 retrieved, 6 fertilized,
    ET 4/22/12 = 2 transfered (day 3), remaining 3 weren't good enough to freeze
    Beta 5/3 = BFP, 87 Beta #2 5/7 560.9 Beta #3 5/9 1376.5 First u/s One Baby, 125bpm!
    Second u/s, 176bmp! Kicked over to the OB by the RE at 8w. Team Green!! 
    Baby girl J arrived two weeks early! Born into water, med-free. Hooray for Team Pink!

TTC #2 - back to the RE, treatment started 12/2014. 

• imageimoverit:
    Thanks so much for all the advice ladies. Going to try them all. Honestly he is such an angel and if throwing is his only issue I guess I can deal with that. It doesnt make me angry it just drives me batty. Its just one of those things that you work on 100 times and he still looks at you and chucks his carrot on the floor. Lol

If he's looking at u when is doing it then he is attention seeking. I would completely ignore it. I would take away the carrot without looking at him or saying anything. I you don't engage him then they usually get bored and stop doing it.

My DS used to do this with spitting water out. I would just take away his cup without making eye count and he eventually stopped. I think it took about a week. Good luck!
    Diagnosed MFI- low sperm count  
    DS-Born 7/27/11 After 2 years of IF we have our little man
    TTC#2 January 2013
    11 Medicated cycles gave us
    B/G Twins born 10/8/14 @ 32 weeks
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"