Natural Birth

Illegal Midwifery Woes

Today I attended a rally for midwifery in Maryland at the state capital. I knew birth options were limited in Maryland, but I didn't understand how much until today. Currently, midwifery is seriously restricted in Maryland. CPMs are not allowed to practice and CNMs are limited. Only three CNMs in the whole state do homebirths, and they (sensibly) have a narrow geographic area they cover. Three! There is only one freestanding birth center. There is a medical doctor-run lobby in the state deliberately trying to keep out midwifery.

I live one state over and had a delightful birth with a CPM practice with DS2 after a traumatic, medicalized OB birth with DS1 (despite going in as prepared as possible for a NB). It makes me so angry that just 30 minutes away, a government says that my safe, smooth, peaceful birth is so dangerous that it cannot be allowed. It was hard to keep from tearing up a bit as family after family shared their story about why birth options are important to them. There also was a large group of Amish who came out to show support--men, women, and babies--which was neat to see.

So, what can we do? We can support Marylanders by signing a petition in support of HB1202. Every signature by a Marylander goes straight to their rep. Each signature from others is a show of force! They are 900 signatures away from the goal of 5,000, so every name counts.

It is easy to sign digitally here: https://signon.org/sign/license-certified-profession.fb23?source=s.icn.fb&r_by=5687975

If you are a Marylander, you are also encouraged to talk with your delegate in-person. Maryland Families for Safe Birth will help you get connected: https://marylandfamiliesforsafebirth.org/

Re: Illegal Midwifery Woes

• It's all about the money. It boggles my mind that we are supposed to be so advanced, especially medically here in the US, but instead we have it ass backwards with birth! I'm thankful to live in a state where HB isn't illegal and that I have the freedom to choose a CPM.
    *Bumping since 2007*
    had to change my sn :) TTC # 1 since Jan 06
    Miracle Baby #1 - March 2012
    Miracle Baby #2 - June 2013
  • That is so sad and scary.  Society views childbirth as a traumatic medical event, instead of a natural biological event. Women have been giving birth for thousands of years, so our body have become fine tuned to the process.  I know that their are situations where medical interventions are needed but many women are able to deliver their babies with minimal medical intervention.   I really hope that the situation will change in MD.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks. I'm a Marylander and just signed and sent it to my other Marylander mommy friends. I had a hospital birth with a midwife in MD and that worked for me, but it was hard to find and it would be nice if there were more options.
    imageimage image
    DS, May 2011
    DD, April 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you for this!

I live in Maryland and am traveling every month to attend a birth center for my prenatal care.   I would love to have a more local option for my care and birth!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

F15 Siggy Challenge: What You're Looking Forward to Most After Baby Arrives: BELLY SLEEPING!

photo c433cf4d-aa40-443c-af77-110275d91d89.jpg
  • imageBreanneL24:
    I'll sign! I live in GA where it is illegal for CPMs to practice. They can get into trouble but I can't as a client. Weird laws and it is always sad when the government feels they have a right to tell us how to give birth.
    Where in GA are you? I'm intending on having a very legal HB. The practice I'm with has a CPM and a CNM. I know in GA it's harder and there's not a certification for MW, but if you're certified in another state it's recognized (or at least this is my understanding).
    VOTE on my Name List
    Check out my Team Green baby names! P.S. I'm not serious with any of the names
    BabyFruit Ticker
    My BFP Chart
    BFP 9/7/12, EDD 5/15/13
    MW interview said 5/17/13 and changed back to 5/15/13 after first visit
  • Thanks for sharing. I live in the DC area and had no idea about MD. But now that I am reading about it, it makes sense that all the people I know who had homebirths and midwife births are in NoVa. I hope this bill passes!
    DS1: August 2009 (emergency c/s, HELLP syndrome) DS2: September 2012 (VBAC)
  • I signed and I'm re-posting this to BirthMatters Richmond.  When I moved to VA I didn't realized how awesome VA is in terms of choices for birthing. 

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • imageBreanneL24:
    I'll sign! I live in GA where it is illegal for CPMs to practice. They can get into trouble but I can't as a client. Weird laws and it is always sad when the government feels they have a right to tell us how to give birth.

Don't tell this group that...

https://www.intownmidwifery.com/

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imageJuelsr:

imageBreanneL24:

Don't tell this group that...

https://www.intownmidwifery.com/

I thought she was thinking for a Home Birth or something, which I'm having and if I need to transfer IMW is my first choice.

Here's a little something I found:

https://cfmidwifery.org/states/states.aspx?ST=GA

VOTE on my Name List
    Check out my Team Green baby names! P.S. I'm not serious with any of the names
    BabyFruit Ticker
    My BFP Chart
    BFP 9/7/12, EDD 5/15/13
    MW interview said 5/17/13 and changed back to 5/15/13 after first visit
  • Thanks for posting this. I'm from Maryland and I'll sign. No wonder I've had difficulty researching my MW options around here. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I live in MD and I am quite content with my OB.  I honestly know nothing about midwives, but as pp have said, women have been giving birth for thousands of years without OB's just fine.  So I definitely support women having a choice in how they give birth.  I personally don't see the appeal of homebirth, I feel safer in a hospital where if something goes wrong I am 20 feet away from an ER.  But again, thousands of years with no ER's and people are still here.  

I hope this passes because women need to be educated about their choices and at least HAVE a choice.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"