Attachment Parenting

WCRS Users

any good youtube links for fun carries? I  learned today that I can use my RS with the rings on the back, but then I also came across a PAX Baby video where she demonstrated a back carry where the rings were under the baby's bum. I'd love to learn some other carries I can do with my WCRS. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: WCRS Users

• Just say no to Paxbaby's whack videos.....seriously, please.  I personally find her really irresponsible as a business owner for promoting carry that are awkward at best and potentially dangerous at worst.  Her videos are not particularly good - she rarely says anything about proper technique and half the time she ends up with a potentially unsafe carry (unless she's changed it her kid is about to pop out of the rings under the bum video).

Ring slings are meant to be worn with the rings on the front for a reason...adjustability.  If you put them on your back you lose that.  You can see by the fact that she's always flipping the shoulder that it's not adjusted well.

The rings under the bum thing is a just a big NO.  RUB is ruck under the bum, a carry to be done with a short wrap.  It's a precision carry that requires proper tightening.  When you have rings fixed to one end, you loose some of the ability to tighten the wrap evenly when wearing it over two shoulders.  That's not good for safety or comfort.  Plus it's pretty tough to get the rings somewhere where they won't dig into you or kiddo.  And you need a longer than normal sling to have enough through the rings to be safe.  

I really had nothing against Paxbaby until she started promoting carries that are "trendy" and "cool" instead of safe.  Babywearing should be fun - yes - but that doesn't mean making up random carries that push the boundaries of common sense and safety. 

Sorry I feel strongly about this.  There are lots of new babywearers who stumble on her stuff and I think it needs to be out there that what she's showing is rather irresponsible.  Selling carriers doesn't make you an expert on babywearing sadly.

Use your ring sling as intended.  You can do a back carry with an older child who is cooperative and will sit simply by swinging kiddo around behind you.  It's still a one shoulder carry.  If you want to experiment, get a wrap! 

• Hm, I find this interesting.  I have a WCRS but I just can't get over the shoulder.  It's not very comfy for me, and doing the rings on the back is the only way I feel like I'm not being swallowed by the thing.  I don't use it very often, just around the house.  I just got an Emeibaby that I love and use that when we're out and about.  
  • Loading the player...
  • imagexoexpat:
    Hm, I find this interesting.  I have a WCRS but I just can't get over the shoulder.  It's not very comfy for me, and doing the rings on the back is the only way I feel like I'm not being swallowed by the thing.  I don't use it very often, just around the house.  I just got an Emeibaby that I love and use that when we're out and about.  

I don't think everyone has to love a ring sling ;)  There are also brands that use smaller rings - comfy joey normally uses medium rings and psling rings are very small - that can help.  My biggest worry is that a total new wearer sees this and tries it with a newborn...and newborns really need a good tight carry.

Glad you like the emeibaby :) 

• imagencbelle:
    Just say no to Paxbaby's whack videos.....seriously, please. nbsp;I personally find her really irresponsible as a business owner for promoting carry that are awkward at best and potentially dangerous at worst. nbsp;Her videos are not particularly good she rarely says anything about proper technique and half the time she ends up with a potentially unsafe carry unless she's changed it her kid is about to pop out of the rings under the bum video.Ring slings are meant to be worn with the rings on the front for a reason...adjustability. nbsp;If you put them on your back you lose that. nbsp;You can see by the fact that she's always flipping the shoulder that it's not adjusted well.The rings under the bum thing is a just a big NO. nbsp;RUB is ruck under the bum, a carry to be done with a short wrap. nbsp;It's a precision carry that requires proper tightening. nbsp;When you have rings fixed to one end, you loose some of the ability to tighten the wrap evenly when wearing it over two shoulders. nbsp;That's not good for safety or comfort. nbsp;Plus it's pretty tough to get the rings somewhere where they won't dig into you or kiddo. nbsp;And you need a longer than normal sling to have enough through the rings to be safe. nbsp;I really had nothing against Paxbaby until she started promoting carries that are "trendy" and "cool" instead of safe. nbsp;Babywearing should be fun yes but that doesn't mean making up random carries that push the boundaries of common sense and safety.nbsp;Sorry I feel strongly about this. nbsp;There are lots of new babywearers who stumble on her stuff and I think it needs to be out there that what she's showing is rather irresponsible. nbsp;Selling carriers doesn't make you an expert on babywearing sadly.Use your ring sling as intended. nbsp;You can do a back carry with an older child who is cooperative and will sit simply by swinging kiddo around behind you. nbsp;It's still a one shoulder carry. nbsp;If you want to experiment, get a wrap!nbsp;

Wow thanks for all the info. : in the video I watched for the back carry, the rings sat under her arm rather than under the baby's bum, but Ican see what you mean about it being potentially dangerous. I would like to try a wrap but I have no idea what to get. My WCRS is a Girasol Pheonix.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageAliciaS1411:
    Wow thanks for all the info. : in the video I watched for the back carry, the rings sat under her arm rather than under the baby's bum, but Ican see what you mean about it being potentially dangerous. I would like to try a wrap but I have no idea what to get. My WCRS is a Girasol Pheonix.

I go for a medium-thin all cotton wrap that you think is beautiful ...don't get too caught up in the "you must have X wrap for X purpose" - go with something you will want to wear! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"