Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Stuttering

My DS turned 2 in December. He was speaking very fluently and in complete sentences, but within the last month he started stuttering. I know this can be very normal for toddlers, but it seems pretty severe. My DD stuttered around the same age, but it was more like repetition of whole words or the start of a sentence. DS is doing what sounds more like "classic" stuttering to me--getting stuck on the beginning of words, especially vowels, it seems. Sometimes he's even using a different, lower voice, in an attempt to help get the words out, I think. I will ask my pedi, but am pretty sure she will just say it's normal at this age, and I'm not sure if the way he's stuttering really IS normal or not.

Has anyone else talked to your pedi about this issue? Any insights? Is there speech therapy or something for kids this small? I can just give it time but I think it's actually beginning to be frustrating for him.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Stuttering

• Options
    We talked to pedi about this - she said right now not to worry (DS is 3).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My oldest went through this when she about just shy of 2.5yrs old.  Hers happened to coincide with a new baby coming about a month later and hers last 9 months.  It was the longest 9 months of my life.  Hers was pretty severe, but the pedi assured me it was normal.  She started talking pretty early and was speaking very well when it happened so it was a shock as it just seemed to start out of nowhere.  After dealing with it for about 8 months, we actually took her to be evaluated at a speech clinic.  They said that she was on the low end of severe.  They recommended we continue to watch her for a few more months, as she wasn't even three yet, and if it didn't get any better and we wanted them to, they would fit her into one of their clinics.  About a month after her turning 3, it began getting better and within a month was pretty much gone.  I know how hard it is when it is so severe, but most times kids outgrow.  If it seems to be going on for a long time, it can't hurt to get him checked out.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you for sharing your experiences!! Sounds like we should continue to wait for now and hopefully it will resolve itself. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    My brother stuttered for a time, probably around that age. I am 10 years old so I remember it pretty clearly.

My brother was highly intelligent and extremely verbal. Whomever my mother spoke to regarding his stuttering, the pediatrician I assume, told her it was probably due to his brain working faster than his tongue and mouth. He couldn't get his complex thoughts out fast enough!

It was recommended that she not draw attention to it and not to complete his words and thoughts for him. She made sure we older siblings followed this too. I don't recall how long it took, but it resolved itself completely over time.

I'm sure had it been an ongoing, lasting issue she would have sought further help for him, but I thought these tips might come in handy as you figure out what to do or are waiting to take action.
  • Options
    My daughter went through it around 2 as well.  At almost three, she still does it once in a while.  The pedi said it is very common for 3 year olds.  If a 2 year old is doing it, it is because they are ahead of the curve in regards to speech.  Our pedi said it is because they are thinking faster than the words coming out.   
  • Options

DD has gone through phases of stuttering as well.

I found this website helpful:

https://www.asha.org/public/speech/disorders/stuttering.htm 

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I suddenly started stuttering about kindergarten, and it plagued me for a long time. I am like 99 percent over it now. I started overcoming it in my 30s.

i had therapy but it never helped. However, I think that's because I was old enough to be conscious of it and embarrassed by it, which made it worse. Perhaps if you can address it earlier, it might work.

if you think your child has a stutter, I would address it with a therapist, no matter what the pedi says. Stuttering is horrible. Why risk letting it go longer? 

By the way, his change in tone sounds like classic stutterer technique to try to  avoid it. We all come up with something.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"