January 2013 Moms
Options

What are Grandmas and Grandpas being called?

Just curious - what names have your parents/SO parents chosen for LO to call them eventually?

My father didn't have a preference so he'll probably be Grandpa Fred

DH's parents were going to go with the Italian versions of Grandma and Grandpa, but FIL wasn't a big fan of Nonno.  MIL is CeCe and FIL is Grumpa (not a typo, lol).

Formerly knittylady
DH:34 - Me: 33
Emmaline Winifred - 1.25.2013
Wesley Daniel - 7.24.2014
#3 EDD - 6.24.2018

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: What are Grandmas and Grandpas being called?

• Options

We let them all choose..

DH's parents: Nana and Pop

Mom and Stepdad: Grammy and Gup

Dad and Stepmom: Grandpa and Gigi (I think) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

DH's parents are Oma and Opa (dutch for grandma and grandpa)

my mother wants to be called MiMi. I'm trying to respect her wishes but everytime I say it I just feel ridiculous.

No father 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    They are all Grandpa and Grandma. I think it is a little confusing for my oldest sometimes when they are all in the same place. Kind of a "which one is grandma now?" situation. MIL does not want to be called "Grandma lastname," because that is her MIL, who is a little off her rocker and kind of difficult to get along with.
    nataliepic350 photo nataliepic350.jpg photo 099_zps0c6fc5c8.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    my parents are papa dan and titu...because that's what my nephew started to call them....we're still trying to figure out where he got titu....my mom's name is judy...he called me nenny and that stuck too....my sister always wanted a nickname so hopefully dd will come up with something clever to call her
    my ils will be abuelo and abuela....my sil and her hubby will bw tia and tio....it kind of helps that they are spanish so they all get something different

• Options
    My mom will be Granshe, she made that up, and MIL will be Abuella.

• Options
    This is a pet peeve of mine. I will let my LO choose what he calls them !
  • Options

imageDMG122183:

Me too! Kids will call them what they want...we refer to our parents as Grandma FirstName's and Grandpa or Grandpa FirstName (my father is passed). 

But when DS starts talking whatever he calls them will work! 

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• Options
    My parents are Papa and Didi ( my mom didn't want to be a grandma).  My grand parents on my moms side are Gigi and Great Papa( my fathers parents have oth passed.  My MIL is Grandma and my FIL is Grandad.  They all chose what they wanted to be called.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Nana and Pops

YaYa T and Grandpa first name.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    imagejobiann:

imageDMG122183:

Me too! Kids will call them what they want...we refer to our parents as Grandma FirstName's and Grandpa or Grandpa FirstName (my father is passed). 

It'll be interesting what all our LOs end up calling them!

My grandmother was named Edith and would jokingly tell us that she really wanted all of us to call her Eddy Grand.  She ended up being Grandma Lastname 

Formerly knittylady
    DH:34 - Me: 33
    Emmaline Winifred - 1.25.2013
    Wesley Daniel - 7.24.2014
    #3 EDD - 6.24.2018

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    everyone is going by grandma (first name) or grandpa (first name) except my dad who, because is name is paul, is Grandpaul. we thought it was too cute :)
  • Options
    I agree that kids will call them what they want to, but until they can you can try to get them to recognize a certain person by the name they wish to be called
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Grandma & Grandpa last name. Great-grandparents on my side are Mim & Papa on DH's side Oma [no great-grandpa on that side]
  • Options
    My parents are Mimi and Grandpa, although my dad called himself Grampy to my dogs before DS was born so I'm sure he will follow suite with the baby.

In laws are Nana and Papa but my MIL pronounces it like puppa.
  • Options
    My mom is Gramma Dot
    My dad is Papa Walter
    My stepmother is Nana
    My stepfather is Papaw Rabbit

My MIL is Grammy
    And my FIL is Super Lloyd lol
    imageimageAnniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagejobiann:

imageDMG122183:

LOs grandparents have all 'chosen' names, but once he starts talking, they are all fine with whatever DS decides to call them
    imageimageAnniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My parents are Nana and Papa, my ILs are MawMaw and PawPaw.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I didn't even think to have them pick something out... oops...

Dh's parents are now Gramma and Grampa. (how DD says them)

My Mom is Gramma B.  My Dad passed away 6 years ago.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DD picked. My parents: Ennie and Papa no clue where Ennie came from and SMIL: Grandma Angie and Papa Last Name.
  • Options
    Grandma and grandpa

• Options
    My mom: Nana
    Dad: Grandpa
    MIL: Granny (which I dislike)
    FIL: Grandpa. I am thinking maybe Grandpa Chuck. But really DD won't see my dad that often, so likely won't be too confusing
    Great grandma: GG

BFP #1 05/03/12 DD: 12/18/12
    BFP #2 05/26/14 MMC: 6/26/14 D&C: 7/18/14
    BFP #3 10/09/14 MC 10/24/14

• Options

DH- Grandma and PoPo

Mine- Grandma and Grandpa

• Options

The grandparents all chose their names (not our decision, they just did it on their own by signing their "names" to LO's welcome baby gifts).

ILs: Grandma & Grandpa (firstnames)

My Mom: Nana

My Dad: Isa Confused (I don't understand it... DH is refusing to let LO call him this!) 

• Options

Well my ILs have been around LO maybe 5 times since she was born.  I predict they'll be called Grandma firstname and Grandpa firstname. 

My Parents have been around LO much, much more often and will be the primary Grandparents in her life. They'll be called Grandma and Grandpa.  Although my Dad has referred to himself a few times as Papa. So ... we'll see what LO picks up on.

• Options
    My parents are YaYa and Papa, DH's parents are Gramps and Grizzlie first grandchild's mashup of 'grandma Lizzie'.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

They are all "established" since I already have an older son

My mom is Yaya (my, now, 3 yr old niece came up with this and it stuck) or Nonna Isa

My grandma is Tata or Abuela

ILs are Nonno Marco and Nonna Steffy

DH's grandma is Nonna Bis

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    MIL chose "Gram".  Both of our fathers are deceased but my aunt, who treats me like a daughter since my mother is also not around, is "Grand-Pam".
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My parents already have two grandkids, so they were already Grandma and Grandpa. I think we will have LO call MIL Mammy and FIL Daudy. It's PA Dutch for Grandma and Grandpa. DH's first language is PA Dutch.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    DS named my parents Meemaw and Papa. My in laws are Grandma and Grandpop.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"