3rd Trimester
Options

breast pump ?

Do you prefer a manual or electric? My insurance covers one or the other so thought i'd get some opinions from you ladies TIA

Re: breast pump ?

• Options
    I loved my Medela PISA.  It is electric and very efficient.  It makes that annoying humming sound, but I was able to pump in 10 mins or less 2x a day at work for a year.  I plan on using it again for #2.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Our Little Guy due 4/14/13 BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Will  you be working or SAH? If you're working I would definitely get a double electric. Of course if your insurance covers either at 100%, I'd get electric regardless.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Electric, especially if you will be returning to work. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I've never used an electric, but I recommend it anyway. When I went back to work after DS, I bought the cheapy Lansinoh single manual, trying to save money. And it was a HUGE PITA. My supply tanked, and it took FOREVER to get much.

I'm going with a double electric this time around.

BabyFruit TickerLilypie Third Birthday tickers "You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the one person you can't live without."
  • Options
    Most will recommend an electric. I've never tried one, though. With DD I had the cheapest manual I could find (First Years, and actually found the same model on Walmart.com so registered for it again!), and managed to use it through going back to work and continued to EBF at home; we never used formula and DD continued to nurse until she was almost 2 1/2 years old. I didn't think it was that difficult.
    OMG too many tickers...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I used both (as I wasn't sure how I was going to take to BFing), and after a bout 5 days with the manual, I switched to the electric. It was so much faster and easier. I still have both--now in storage as we FF DS,, but I am nsot sure why I have it still.

Oh well. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I asked the same question to all my friends who are mothers and they exclaimed ELECTRIC!
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    It depends on how often you plan to use it and how fast you can pump a bottle. I pumped a bottle about once a day or once every other day and I could pump a 5oz bottle from my right side in under 5 mins with my manual pump. My left side though, I would pump for 20 mins and I couldn't even get 4ozs. I have a medela manual pump and it did the job just fine. My friend lent me her double sided electric pump which I may try to see how it works with this baby. If you are going to pump more than once a day an electric pump might be a better option.
  • Options

I'd recommend getting an electric through insurance and then buying a manual on your own if you need it. I have an electric and it worked fine, although I've heard that the manuals (specifically the Medela Harmony) can be quite effective and efficient. I'm planning to use my electric again this time around and get a manual, too. The Harmony is about $35. Super affordable to purchase on your own.

natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Electric all the way. Love my Medela PISA. I have a manual one too, but only used it a couple of times then gave up. Manual just isn't efficient, I felt that it wasn't strong suction, and my hand got tired.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Im a first time mom but from what I hear an electric double pump is the way to go if it is covered!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"