July 2012 Moms
Options

This Is Weird, Right?

Little back story.  My SIL and her husband are oddballs.  She doesn't speak and rarely engages in conversation with anyone except her husband, and she just orders him around.  She has NEVER acknowledged Sunny and will not even look at her.  We see them at dinner every Wednsday.  She does not drive a car and won't, and she does not live in a public transit area.  She just has hubs drive her around.  They go to the ER for headaches and tummy aches.  They have been living in their appt for 1.5 years and they still don't have curtains/blinds up and have not fully unpacked yet.  He talks, but mumbles like crazy.  They are very book smart and total nerds, but have zero "street" smarts or real life smarts.  And while she does not talk IRL, she/they post every detail of their lives on FB, down to the most minute, unnecessary details.  They are SUPER religious and post very preachy things on FB.

She is now 5 weeks pg after TTC for over a year.  She made hubs make the announcement last week at dinner.  Well, he sent out an email to everyone they know announcing the pregnancy.  Included in the email is a link to their baby's FB page! Yes, that is right, they made a FB page for their future baby.  On top of that, there are daily updates on the page talking about every detail of her pregnancy for that day, scripture quotes and unbelievably ridiculous details.  For example she talks about having low progesterone and how she was on pills for it, but now her Dr. has changed her prescription to injections in addition to taking daily temperature and saliva readings. How bizarre!

Someone please tell me that MH and I are not the only ones who find this to be incredibly odd.  And FWIW, I cannot see them handling the demands of a baby, they just don't have very much common sense at all.  She will be staying home with the baby and will not even consider driving.  Um, what if the baby needs to go to the Dr?  What if you want to take the baby out somewhere?.  I just cannot see this.  This is all weird, right? 

Re: This Is Weird, Right?

• Options
    That is a lot weird.

• Options
    imageJessie11LU:
    Ah hahahaha! Very interesting! I love interesting people. Why doesn't she talk? Why won't she drive? Is you H like this at all? So strange, I have a million questions.

Totally this. They could be the next crazy TLC reality show or something. Except the not talking may be a problem.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageJessie11LU:
    Ah hahahaha! Very interesting! I love interesting people. Why doesn't she talk? Why won't she drive? Is you H like this at all? So strange, I have a million questions.

I think she does not talk because she is either very very shy, or because she doesn't have original enough thoughts to have a conversation.  And I don't think it's because she is shy, since she did all sorts of big presentations while getting her PHD.  No idea why she won't drive.  Story goes that she got her license when she was 16, she is 32 or 33 now, drove once, came home, and has NEVER driven again.

No, MH is not like any of his sisters.  He has 4 sisters, and all of them have some sort of damage.  He is seriously the only "normal" one of the bunch.  He thinks it's because since he was the only boy, he had lots of mommy and daddy attention as a child, whereas the girls didn't have much "daddy time" and now they are all oddballs due to that.  

• Options
    imagejnoone:

I'm amazed that she and her husband found each other and actually started a relationship!  Umm... good luck to the baby. Tongue Tied

She actually sounds A LOT like my SIL (but she's never had a relationship).

Haha, I honestly think to myself all the time "Wow!, someone married this girl!".  And not that it matters, but lets face it, if you have the personality of a blank sheet of paper, it matters, but she is..... um... not very attractive.  But to each their own, and if you like a 300lb, greasy haired, all-the-time sweat pants wearing chick, than have at it! 

• Options
    imageLadyofshallott86:

imagebritbratjf:
    imageJessie11LU:
    Totally this. They could be the next crazy TLC reality show or something. Except the not talking may be a problem.

seriously intrigued...they sound like nut jobs...but fascinating nut jobs...so are you fb friends with their embryo? 

I'm not on FB, but the email he sent out had a link to the page and I can see it without having to sign in.  MH is on though and he is pretending to ignore the page, he is disturbed by it.

Want me to up the wierdness stakes?  Her hubs recently got a great job at a university, not teaching, something else.  He had a headache at work one day during his first week.  So the next day, she went to work with him to watch over him in his office!  He had been there for a week!  Soooooooooo wierd!!!!!!!

• Options
    I wonder if she's autistic? Asperbergers maybe?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    What just happened in my diaper?!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

I feel really bad for their baby.

And yes, I would totally watch a show about them. They sound fascinating. 

imageimage
  • Options

imageJessie11LU:
    I pictured her in my head as a brunette, skinny chick that does nothing with her lifeless hair and never wears make up or any color other than khaki and brown. Boy was I wrong.

Jessie, this is exactly how I pictured her also! I really feel bad for the child. How is the poor kid ever going to learn how to communicate?  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagesummergirl1211:

Um, yes. Crazy weird. Indifferent

I was with Jessie about how I pictured SIL too. I wonder what they talk about all day? Or maybe they just read books to each other?

Poor, poor kid. I can't imagine how that one will turn out!

My thoughts exactly!  It is going to be interesting to see.

• Options
    WOW they are definitely cray cray!!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Strange

• Options
    imagehijoi:
    imagemrsj0423:
    imagejnoone:

I'm amazed that she and her husband found each other and actually started a relationship!  Umm... good luck to the baby. Tongue Tied

She actually sounds A LOT like my SIL (but she's never had a relationship).

Haha, I honestly think to myself all the time "Wow!, someone married this girl!".  And not that it matters, but lets face it, if you have the personality of a blank sheet of paper, it matters, but she is..... um... not very attractive.  But to each their own, and if you like a 300lb, greasy haired, all-the-time sweat pants wearing chick, than have at it! 

My husband does. We're not all bad. And I don't see how her appearance has anything to do with how weird you perceive her to be.  Maybe she just doean't like you because you judge her so much and therefore has nothing to say to you.

Nope, her appearance doesn't have anything to do with why I perceive her to be weird.  Her wierdness is why I percieve her to be wierd,  Her physical description was meant to drive home the point that, even though she has no personality and is mean to him, and doesn't fit the stereotypical "hot chick" bill, that she still found someone to have a relationship with.  Nah, she likes me, she just doesn't talk to anyone, her social skills are severely lacking.  To the point where she makes her husband order for her at restaurants and will not answer the phone even when her mom calls.  Yes, I absolutely judge her.  She is bringing a child into the world and I have concerns about how the child will be brought up. 

BTW, I am sorry if I offended you Joi.  No harm intended. Wink

• Options
    Weird people allowed to have babies Wink
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

imageJessie11LU:
    I pictured her in my head as a brunette, skinny chick that does nothing with her lifeless hair and never wears make up or any color other than khaki and brown. Boy was I wrong.

LOL I did too!

It's all very odd.  I can't wait to hear stories of their parenting. 

Dating since 3.8.2008. Married since 6.4.2011. Bryson born on 6.28.2012
     CafeMom Tickers
  • Options

Aw, this makes me sad. I had a roommate who was totally brilliant and majoring in Organic Chemistry, but she never said one word to me in a year. Not one word. She slept in a sleeping bag in our room and almost never showered, but she aced all of her classes and was on the Dean's List. Some people are just really antisocial.

However, it sounds like your SIL has a lot to say but no skills to say them, hence the FB pages and updates. I know it seems odd to you (as it would to most people), but I'd engage her on FB. It's clearly her preferred medium to communicate, and that way you can get to know her and let her know you're interested in her pregnancy. It might warm her up IRL. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

She sounds a little odd, but just because she is different doesn't mean the kid is doomed.Who is to say her kid will be any more screwed up than yours or mine.

As for the FB thing, Cooper has a group page we started when I was pregnant. I knew there were some people that didn't want to hear all about my pregnancy, and I didn't want any friends feeling like I hijacked their news feed, while still including our long distance friends and family.

"Parenting is a constant struggle between making your kid's live better and ruining your own." Willie Robertson, 'Duck Dynasty'
    Anniversary IMAG1763 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"