Success after IF
Options

Why can't I throw them out?

Anyone else find that they are hanging on to expired meds? I've had some in my refrigerator since August 2010. I realize that I should throw them out but I can't!

I think that I'm paranoid that my insurance wouldn't cover them next time and that I'd be forced to use the expired ones. I'm not even currently TTC. What is wrong with me?!

My Blog (that is not really about eating in the shower)

Re: Why can't I throw them out?

• Options
    LOL - Not just expired meds but also all the extra needles, alcohol pads, etc. I even have needles left over from my First two IVF cycles whenwe conceived DS. I promised myself that when I got to be past 24 weeks with this pregnancy I would clean it all out. I really need to, but there is a small part of me that is afraid to jinx anything.
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • Options

imageDragonfly1226:
    LOL - Not just expired meds but also all the extra needles, alcohol pads, etc. I even have needles left over from my First two IVF cycles whenwe conceived DS. I promised myself that when I got to be past 24 weeks with this pregnancy I would clean it all out. I really need to, but there is a small part of me that is afraid to jinx anything.

I wonder if the OOP Meds Donation folks ever need those supplies?  Too late to donate the expired meds, but maybe the supplies?  Then you could be decluttering your stuff, and helping someone else.

TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have boxes upon boxes of Follistim in my frig, all expired, not to mention a few bottles of Femara. I'm a hoarder. I admit it.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Options

Lol!  I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one.

However, I can out-gross that.  I still have my positive pregnancy tests in a sealed zip lock bag.  (I know I am disgusting.)  You would think that since I now have an almost 6 month old child I could throw them away...nope.

IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • Options
    There is nothing wrong with you, those meds are liquid gold :) I didn't have any left, but if I had, I would have held on to them too........just in case!  I know like pp's said there is the med donation, but given that they are expired that wouldn't be an option.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageIBackBevo:

However, I can out-gross that.  I still have my positive pregnancy tests in a sealed zip lock bag.  (I know I am disgusting.)  You would think that since I now have an almost 6 month old child I could throw them away...nope.

Not the only one. I was rummaging through my cabinet last week and found a bag of the 13 pregnancy tests I took. Still, I couldn't throw them away. I'm so gross. I still have five full Sharps containers and boxes of expired Endometrin, Ganirelix, and Menopur. I feel horrible that I let them expire instead of donating them =(. 

TTC in 2009, Dx: Unexplained IF
    Three TI cycles (BFP...miscarriage), five IUI attempts and 2.5 IVF cycles later...BFP!!
    12dp5dt: 765; 15dp5dt: 1979; 17dp5dt: 3379...TWINS!!!!!
    Our perfect baby boys were born at 36w1d!! 

• Options
    I kept everything until DS was about 6months old and a friend of mine was going through IVF out of pocket. I gave her everything we had to, most of it was expired and they weren't able to use it. I'm glad I had a reason to get rid of mine bc if not it would probably still in my fridge too. I think IF makes you always fear the worst.

4 Clomid cycles BFN's,3 injectible cycles BFN, 3 failed IUI's
    Hystroscopy to remove cysts 11/2010
    IVF #1 with ICSI Graydon Dane born Oct. 23, 2011 via c-section at 38 weeks.
    Surprise BFP 10/9/12. Blighted ovum at 8wks. D&C 11/1/12.
    Surprise BFP#2 TWINS!!! Boy/Girl twins.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageTJ1979:

imageDragonfly1226:

I wonder if the OOP Meds Donation folks ever need those supplies?  Too late to donate the expired meds, but maybe the supplies?  Then you could be decluttering your stuff, and helping someone else.

I have thought about it. The only left over meds I have are vials of PIO and they expire very quickly, but I will ask about the other supplies once I am ready... Hopefully soon!
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • Options

I held onto my extra meds while pregnant with DD, and luckily we had to TTC this one pretty quickly, so my thousands of dollars sitting in my fridge didn't go to waste.  I ended up over-ordering my Follistim this time by 4 boxes, but was able to part with them once I graduated from the RE at 8 weeks, to a friend who was cycling right then, so they didn't go to waste.

I chose to focus on the positive and hope for the best this time, rather than hold onto them, since we have 4 frosties if something goes badly (certainly hope not!), and if all goes well, we are done TTC once DS is born.

10/10: Married; 5/11: Dx: Blocked Fallopian Tube; 7/11: D&C/Hysteroscopy to remove polyp
    IVF #1: 9/11: ER: 12R, 11M, 10F, No Frosties; 5dt: 2 blasts, 1 morula; DD born 6/3/12
    IVF #2: 11/12-12/12: ER: 20R, 20M, 16F, 4 Frosties; 5dt: 3 blasts, DS born 8/9/13
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageDragonfly1226:

Oh, I hadn't even thought about all of the needles and supplies! My nightstand has not functioned as anything other than storage of medical supplies in years. I know just what you mean about jinxing things. Ugh, the tricks our minds play on us Wink

• Options
    imageIBackBevo:

Oh we still have the positive test too! My son is 20 months old so I can't say that you'll be able to throw it away any time soon!

• Options
    imageTJ1979:

imageDragonfly1226:

It really bothers me that I didn't have the foresight to donate the meds as soon as I got a positive test. To think that I could've helped someone in need especially because we had struggled to pay at times ourselves, but was too scared that I was going to need them again, is just so frustrating!

• Options

imageitsmevkb:
    I have boxes upon boxes of Follistim in my frig, all expired, not to mention a few bottles of Femara. I'm a hoarder. I admit it.

OK, I'll throw mine away if you do! No wait I really don't know if I can...... Surely people do it all the time, right?

• Options
    I have expired meds, supplies, pregnancy tests from ds 2 AND pregnancy tests from ds1 who just turned 4 lol
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"