Baby Showers
Options

Dudes, Diapers, and Drinks

Was at a shower this weekend and overheard a conversation beside me from another MTB and her friend, whom I do not know. Her idea "to get lots of diapers" is to have a seperate shower for hubby called Dudes, Diapers, and Drinks. I just stayed out of it, until I heard two things. 1 her plan to get the brand she wants is to put the logo of said brand on the invite... As if "pampers" is sponsoring this event. And 2 her "drinks" idea is a martini cleverly named "the diapertini".
I tactfully said that I couldn't help but over hear and though the idea was "cute" had she considered that she would get "a lot" of diapers at a regular shower.. And pointed out the stacks of diapers the guest of honor had gotten. I got eye rolls and the girl said "but that's just not as fun". I just let it go... Nonetheless, it's freaking weird.
Pregnancy Ticker
BabyName Ticker

Re: Dudes, Diapers, and Drinks

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options

I would never want to eat or drink anything named after a diaper. 

Gross.  

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options

DH wanted to have a kegger with his old frat brothers with a similar idea behind it. Like, bring an item for baby for a cup. I convinced him the two showers being thrown for us would be more than enough, and if he wanted me to DD him to his frat house and back (a 6 hour round trip) so he could drink to our new baby, I would gladly do so.

Even if he decided this is what he wanted to do, and asked me to help, pretty sure he'd kill me if the "Dudes" were given martinis to drink... 

• Options

Chocotini anyone?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

What kind of Dude is she with that would drink a Martini? I guess I'm with a manly man because he has no idea what a Martini even is! ;)

I've had people around me throw their FTB dude friends Male-Only baby showers, but believe me, it had nothing to do with diapers... Just a lot of drinks and teasing about life never being the same and "See you in 18 years" jokes. And Sport themed baby items. A lot of them. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

So tacky. Plus, my husband would be so miserable at a party like that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm trying to figure out when martinis became unmanly.  The choice drink of James Bond isn't manly? 
    Well, my husband drinks 'em.  They're sexy.
  • Options

imageCranang:
    I'm trying to figure out when martinis became unmanly.  The choice drink of James Bond isn't manly? 

I agree.

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • Options

imageCranang:

So does mine. I have a feeling that anyone talking about martinis not being manly are talking about things like appletinis or the like. Those are not martinis. My husband drinks the full on gin martini with only a splash of vermouth and an olive. I'd like to find lots of women who would drink that (note: I will drink a small one on occasion, but most women wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole).  

12/19/2012 BFP! 
    EDD 08/26/2013 
    Our little girl arrived 8/22/2013!

• Options
    imageCranang:
    I'm trying to figure out when martinis became unmanly.nbsp; The choice drink of James Bond isn't manly?nbsp; Well, my husband drinks 'em.nbsp; They're sexy.

Exactly, I know more men that drink them then women. A diapertini, however... Well, the chocolatini picture summed that one up quite nicely.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Options
    imageBliss+Berry:

imageLiz4444:
    imageCranang:
    I'm trying to figure out when martinis became unmanly.nbsp; The choice drink of James Bond isn't manly?nbsp; Well, my husband drinks 'em.nbsp; They're sexy.
    Exactly, I know more men that drink them then women. A diapertini, however... Well, the chocolatini picture summed that one up quite nicely.
    Huh. I've always thought of it as a manly drink. Maybe it's the popularity of appletinis and the like that make them seem not so manly? I don't know. This is manly. Mmmmm...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

My uncle loves Cosmos... real men drink pink!

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Options
    imageBliss+Berry:

imageLiz4444:
    imageCranang:
    Huh. I've always thought of it as a manly drink. Maybe it's the popularity of appletinis and the like that make them seem not so manly? I don't know. This is manly. Mmmmm...

Daniel Craig...yum.

• Options

This is pretty common where I'm from.  The women have their showers and the men have "diaper parties."  It's never the MTB or the FTB himself that throws it though, it's only if a friend offers and the women aren't involved.  It's basically the guys getting together to drink and they all bring diapers.  Nothing fancy, nothing like a "shower"...just a guys night.  There's no specifying of which brand or invitations...anything like that.  

I never thought anything of it because it's so normal here.

image  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My guy & his friends would be happy with a grill & a case of Bud Light. I've been trying to talk him into doing something like that since I think he could use some guy time. He doesn't get out much & his friends are all 1 1/2hr drive away. Plus this is HIS first kid & I think he's feeling a little overwhelmed, alone & unprepared. Most of his friends have kids & have "been there".  

I wish specifying diaper brand didn't come off as a bad thing (it does *sound* kind of snooty). Babies are shaped different & I remember getting a TON of Walmart brand diapers with my 1st son & I had to throw them all out (well I donated). He was narrow hipped & they just wouldn't stay on. I don't even want to remember the mess. After two babies who only fit right in Pampers, its just a shame. Oh well... 

BFP 4/3/07 EDD 11/23/07 MC 7/20/07 Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imageCranang:
    Chocotini anyone?

Maybe this one could be called the "dirty diapertini"... Ha ha
    Pregnancy Ticker
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    imagecoraggiosa:

imageCranang:

So does mine. I have a feeling that anyone talking about martinis not being manly are talking about things like appletinis or the like. Those are not martinis. My husband drinks the full on gin martini with only a splash of vermouth and an olive. I'd like to find lots of women who would drink that (note: I will drink a small one on occasion, but most women wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole).  

Lurking, but seriously a martini is made with gin and a tiny bit of vermouth and is delicious.  (I take mine with a twist, olives make me want to hurl) Anything else put in it to make it pink or girly or taste like chocolate or whatever makes it not actually a martini; it's just a cocktail.

• Options

Had a Dude's Diaper shower for my SO. It was him and 5 of his closest friend and his dad. They drank beer, played a lawn game that is popular here in Denver, and brought diapers and beer and they had a freaking blast. Never heard that this was "tacky". I made a bunch of appetizers for them, and my boyfriend and his friends had the best time. Maybe diaper-tinis is taking it over the top though. I just bought them a bottle of whiskey and some cheap beer for them to drink. And it was never about getting more diapers or "things". It was about my boyfriend deserving to share some of the spotlight for a little bit, especially with how supportive and awesome he is,  while I went and had my baby shower.  

-Jackie "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans" - John Lennon
  • Options
    imagecinderin:

imageCranang:

I agree.

I'd blame  Sex And The City (and other similar shows)

• Options

imagemajwv8:
    Around here, diaper parties are very common. Usually the guys do something while the girls are having the shower, such as go golfing, play cards, just drink.. I understand why this board thinks they are tacky, but DH is having one, all his friends did..

I totally agree with this, and my DH's best friend is throwing him one. I don't get all the comments from PP saying that "men hate these"... They hate getting together with their buddies for drinks without their wives?? Hmm...  

• Options
    imagescormier123:

imagemajwv8:
    Around here, diaper parties are very common. Usually the guys do something while the girls are having the shower, such as go golfing, play cards, just drink.. I understand why this board thinks they are tacky, but DH is having one, all his friends did..

I totally agree with this, and my DH's best friend is throwing him one. I don't get all the comments from PP saying that "men hate these"... They hate getting together with their buddies for drinks without their wives?? Hmm...  

Of course not, but why do they have to bring diapers in order to do it?

• Options
    imageLiz4444:
    imagescormier123:

imagemajwv8:

Well I guess for the same reason women bring gifts to baby showers?  It's the guys' way of celebrating their friend being a first time dad.  If they didn't want to do it, they wouldn't offer.  No one throws their own.  (well, I'm sure some would...but that would be rude, just like it would be for a baby shower)  

What I meant by that comment was that it seems like the PP's think these guys are sitting around measuring their bellies and guessing how many jelly beans are in the bottle.  Not the case.   

• Options
    imageLiz4444:
    imagescormier123:

imagemajwv8:

I agree with this.  During my shower, my husband plans on golfing with my FIL, his brother and our friends (whose wives are going to be at my shower - as we are all friends).  It seems a bit unfair for our friends to have to double their gifts (the girls will be at my shower with presents and the husbands also have to bring diapers to go golfing?).  if they want to celebrate his fatherhood, i am sure they will buy him a drink at the turn during golf. no need to drag boxes of diapers to the course....  

September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • Options
    imagescormier123:
    imageLiz4444:
    imagescormier123:

imagemajwv8:

Well I guess for the same reason women bring gifts to baby showers?  It's the guys' way of celebrating their friend being a first time dad.  If they didn't want to do it, they wouldn't offer.  No one throws their own.  (well, I'm sure some would...but that would be rude, just like it would be for a baby shower)  

What I meant by that comment was that it seems like the PP's think these guys are sitting around measuring their bellies and guessing how many jelly beans are in the bottle.  Not the case.   

If it is one of the dad to be's friends that is organizing it, fine, however it usually seems to be the MTB organizing it for her husband, which isn't cool.

• Options
    imagescormier123:
    This is pretty common where I'm from. nbsp;The women have their showers and the men have "diaper parties." nbsp;It's never the MTB or the FTB himself that throws it though, it's only if a friend offers and the women aren't involved. nbsp;It's basically the guys getting together to drink and they all bring diapers. nbsp;Nothing fancy, nothing like a "shower"...just a guys night. nbsp;There's no specifying of which brand or invitations...anything like that. nbsp;I never thought anything of it because it's so normal here.nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;nbsp;

this exactly. just an excuse for FTB to get together with friends but bonus, you get more diapers!!
  • Options

imageCranang:

I agree...though I think most people  {sadly} think of a martini as some fruity colored drink these days. Like a cosmo. :(  

• Options
    Her take on the diaper party does seem out there, but diaper parties are really popular in our circle/area. Usually a guy's friend or family member throws a beer and diaper party. Just the guys. They come, bring diapers, drink beer, and have a guys' night. My husband likes the idea of one and so do I. I've never seen a mom get tons of diapers at her regular shower in my family/friends.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    EmJ&BEmJ&B member
    Diaper parties are common in my circle too -  but it's usually organized by the guys
    Daniel ~ October 21, 2013

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"