Working Moms
Options

Advice Needed - Travel with someone you are not comfortable with

I have a co-worker who I have heard from a reliable source is a convicted felon.  We work for a company that was closed down in our location but they retained our sales & aftermarket support group.  Somehow this guy (who is not sales or aftermarket support) has managed to kiss enough butt to stay on to manage the facility.  Now he has been assigned to the project I work mainly on and this involves travel to another location.  This guy is one of those sneaky back-stabbing types.  He constantly steals credit of other people's work, twists around what other people say, and outright lies.   

I want to know what his crime was.   That would settle a lot for me.  Any ideas on how I could find this on my own with very little personal information on said individual.  If I find it was a stupid theft as a young adult I could get over it.  If it was some type of violent crime I would have problems.

I have travelled with a lot of male colleagues and have never felt uncomfortable about it.  Travelling with him would make me uncomfortable.  My direct supervisor has always told me to let him know if travelling with someone bothers me - I work in a male dominated industry.     

The HR at the location that closed was super slack. Our current HR is on top of things and has pulled job offers off the table for a lot less.  It makes me mad that this guy has managed to stay on when lots of really good, hard working, honest & capable people were cut out of jobs and could have been asked to stay instead and would have done a much better job.

Any advice on how to approach this issue?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Advice Needed - Travel with someone you are not comfortable with

• Options
    My DH is pretty good with finding that stuff out. Like the previous post, he suggested you check the local county court records. He also suggested going to the website spokeo.com if you need to find additional info on the guy, like previous counties of residence.
    Loving Life being Brett's Mama! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    You could do some amateur detective work but I think the first step is a meeting with HR to discuss your concerns about him. If you are sure they would keep your conversation confidential you could even mention that there is a rumor he has a criminal record and that concerns you. But even if that turns out to not be true, it sounds like you have other issues with him that make you uncomfortable.
    DS: 2/17/11          DD: 9/4/13
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I wouldn't really be too concerned about the felony. I don't know what kind of work you do, but it's pretty difficult for convicted felons to get jobs so I would guess it's just a rumor. Even if it's not a rumor, I would imagine he's not been convicted of something violent.

It sounds like he's a major a s s, which, of course, sucks, but I, personally, wouldn't be uncomfortable traveling with him based on a rumored felony conviction alone.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
                                         DS is 1DAF

"I realize I say the word fuck a lot, and I'd like to apologize but I don't give a shit." -Lewis Black
  • Options
    imageCaniacMom:

This guy is one of those sneaky back-stabbing types.  He constantly steals credit of other people's work, twists around what other people say, and outright lies.

It is none of your business to know what his crime allegedly is. But between your quote here and your gut feeling, I'd say you have enough to talk to your boss and/or HR in regards to not being comfortable around him.

Don't be whiney saying that other-- more deserving-- people could have done his job better. Just keep the conversation about not feeling comfortable around him.

"What are you having?" "Well the radiologist says its a healthy little human baby. I'm a little disappointed, because I really wanted a puppy." LOL
  • Options
    imageLittle Jerry:

I wouldn't really be too concerned about the felony. I don't know what kind of work you do, but it's pretty difficult for convicted felons to get jobs so I would guess it's just a rumor. Even if it's not a rumor, I would imagine he's not been convicted of something violent.

It sounds like he's a major a s s, which, of course, sucks, but I, personally, wouldn't be uncomfortable traveling with him based on a rumored felony conviction alone.

You would think most HR departments would weed this out, but I know someone who is a convicted felon with several violent crimes and an attempted homicide who has maintained consistent employment, including at a large medical center.  He had one job where they figured it out and fired him a week or two in, and another that did it 2 years in after he pissed off someone in HR and they went digging, but he left every other job of his own accord for better positions at new companies.

if you don't feel comfortable, you don't feel comfortable and I would just tell your direct manager since he already indicated he would accommodate this type of request.  If you do get pressured to travel with him, I might consider doing a little Sherlock Holmes work like PPs suggested and bring it to your manager.

Good luck! 

BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"