Minnesota Babies
Options

Childbirth Classes?

I'm due with our first child August 9th, and I'm wondering what other people have done for childbirth classes around the Twin Cities. As this is our first time going through this, my husband and I are not really sure where to start looking, how necessary attending an actual class is compared to taking an online course, etc. Please share your childbirth class experiences and if you have any good recommendations for places around the Minneapolis area that offer them!

Thanks!

Re: Childbirth Classes?

• Options

Congrats! I would either ask your OB/GYN for recommendations or look at the hospital you are planning on delivering at (if that is your plan). DH and I took an basic childcare class at Maple Grove Hospital. I think the class was definitely worth the time, even now I realize we could have figured most everything out but it really set my mind at ease and helped me understand what to expect. The class covered everything from labor, hospital stay, postpartum care, and the first few months with a newborn. With you being a FTM I recommend taking some form of class. Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Amma Parenting Center in Edina is very popular and excellent. We have busy schedules, so we did the all-in-one 6 hour Saturday class and found it very helpful, especially the first half on "what to expect during labor." 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'd also suggest asking your OB/GYN.  Ours (Southdale OB/GYN) offers their own classes with specialized instruction. 

I found it very helpful to do an in-person class.  Giving birth is a traumatic experience (let's face it) - I couldn't imagine going into it without some 1:1 time with a professional beforehand. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagereinstone:
    I'd also suggest asking your OB/GYN.nbsp; Ours Southdale OB/GYN offers their own classes with specialized instruction.nbsp; I found it very helpful to do an inperson class.nbsp; Giving birth is a traumatic experience let's face it I couldn't imagine going into it without some 1:1 time with a professional beforehand.nbsp;

I couldn't agree more with that last sentence! I went into it thinking, "if I can't take it, I'll just get an epidural" and didn't take a class. I had an awful, long, induced labor...and the epidurals failed. I felt very traumatized for the first week or so, I cried about it a lot and thought there was no way id have another...but now LO is almost five months and I've already forgotten those feelings and am excited to TTC later this year! Anyway, I will definitely be taking a Bradley or hypnobirthing class next time around. I don't know where yet, but I know there's plenty of options around!
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

imageLolaBelle515:
    Amma Parenting Center in Edina is very popular and excellent. We have busy schedules, so we did the all-in-one 6 hour Saturday class and found it very helpful, especially the first half on "what to expect during labor." 

We also used Amma (our hospital didn't offer their own classes), and I thought their classes were good and worth the money. I thought there was something about getting the information from an in-person setting, and being able to interact with/ask questions of an instructor that seemed to help me absorb the information better. I took the Breastfeeding, Baby Care Basics, and 3 week Preparing for Childbirth all separately, roughly 2 months before I was due, which I thought was perfect timing. I thought Preparing for Childbirth was the most useful - it was helpful to learn about what to expect during labor, options for medication, relaxation techniques, information on both vaginal and c-section deliveries, and being reminded that childbirth rarely goes according to our plan. After taking the class, the process of giving birth felt like less of a mystery and I felt much more prepared. Breastfeeding was helpful, but wasn't a substitute for the help of the nurses and lactation consultants in the hospital after the baby was born. Any class does make breastfeeding seem somewhat easier and more straightforward than when you're holding a newborn that you have to teach to latch, but I still found it helpful to hear the information in advance. Baby Care Basics, though taken separately, felt a little rushed, but it was good to have the overview since neither DH or I had cared for a baby before.

In addition, I recommend taking a tour of the hospital at which you will be delivering a month or two before your due date. It's nice to get an idea of what to expect when you arrive, and become familiar with the facility before you are there to give birth.

Congratulations!

• Options
    I just finished the online Preparing for Childbirth offered through Amma and we are doing the Labor Skills Workshop in a couple weeks. I did a lot of reading and research beforehand so I don't think I got as much out of the online class as I would have liked. I'm really hoping the Labor Workshop is better. It sounds like others had a really positive experience with the in person class, it just didn't work for our schedules. I'm also taking the breastfeeding class offered through Amma. 
  • Options
    Our hospital doesn't offer classes and recommends using Amma.  After researching classes online we've decided that we'll do our classes through Amma this summer.  
  • Options

Another option to consider are the FREE Parent Topic Nights put on by the Childbirth Collective.  There are locations in Mpls and St. Paul, and they offer different topics weekly, in an evening seminar format.  They likely won't cover everything that you might go over in a class from Amma or a hospital, but they do cover a lot.  All PTNs are taught by birth professionals, mostly Doulas, but not necessarily Childbirth Educators.  Might be worth checking out especially if you are restricted on time or money and are having a hard time making other classes work.

FYI - the Childbirth Collective is a non-profit and survives on donations.  They are not pushy about it, but if you find the information that you were provided to be helpful, they always have a donation basket that you can drop some $$ in.

Married to my amazing wife 6/12/10 
    TTC since 6/11
    Unmedicated IUI #1 - 6/28/11 - BFN
    Unmedicated IUI #2 - 7/25/11 - BFN
    Robotic Myomectomy (Fibroid Surgery) - 11/15/11
    Unmedicated IUI #3 - 4/24/12 - BFN 
    Progesterone Supported Leuteal Phase IUI #4 - 6/21/12 - BFP!!
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

• Options
    imageJGY:

Another option to consider are the FREE Parent Topic Nights put on by the Childbirth Collective.  There are locations in Mpls and St. Paul, and they offer different topics weekly, in an evening seminar format.  They likely won't cover everything that you might go over in a class from Amma or a hospital, but they do cover a lot.  All PTNs are taught by birth professionals, mostly Doulas, but not necessarily Childbirth Educators.  Might be worth checking out especially if you are restricted on time or money and are having a hard time making other classes work.

FYI - the Childbirth Collective is a non-profit and survives on donations.  They are not pushy about it, but if you find the information that you were provided to be helpful, they always have a donation basket that you can drop some $$ in.

Oops!  This is probably helpful:

www.childbirthcollective.org

Married to my amazing wife 6/12/10 
    TTC since 6/11
    Unmedicated IUI #1 - 6/28/11 - BFN
    Unmedicated IUI #2 - 7/25/11 - BFN
    Robotic Myomectomy (Fibroid Surgery) - 11/15/11
    Unmedicated IUI #3 - 4/24/12 - BFN 
    Progesterone Supported Leuteal Phase IUI #4 - 6/21/12 - BFP!!
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

• Options
    I will be delivering at Maple Grove hospital & just signed up for classes there. If you do plan on signing up do it very soon. They fill quickly! I talked to a gf who said her husband got more out of the classes then she did & would definitely recommend everyone take them & was awesome during delivery! Good luck!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think it sorta depends on what sort of birth you want.  If you're wanting med-free/limited meds, the hospital based classes might not be geared the best towards your philosophy.  
  • Options
    We took the Childbirth class through Amma, but it was held at Woodwinds where I had my DS.  We chose the all day Saturday option so it was just one day.  We really liked it.
  • Options

imagewittyschaffy:
    I think it sorta depends on what sort of birth you want.  If you're wanting med-free/limited meds, the hospital based classes might not be geared the best towards your philosophy.  

On a related note, this is what I liked about the Amma Preparing for Childbirth class. It did a great job of informing women of what all their options were, and I felt that it was supportive of both med free and medicated births. During the class, we saw videos featuring women who chose both options. The women in our class were split about 50/50 for those who desired med free vs. medicated.

• Options
    Blooma is expensive, but they're wonderful.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"