Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Ear Infection

DD has had two ear infections and been on antibiotics 3 times in her life.  This second ear infection has been so stubborn.  She was on Omnicef for 10 days, that helped, but didn't totally clear it up.  They put her on amoxicillin for 10 days, it then spread to the other ear.  So she now has a double ear infection, they put her on z-pack today.  The doctor said if that doesn't work they will try the shot and then if that doesn't work they will send her to an Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor.  Thankfully DD is doing fine otherwise, eating/sleeping, happy, etc.  But it's just so scary that she could be on two different antibiotics and have it not clear up.  Has anybody else dealt with this? 

Re: Ear Infection

• Options

Yep, several times. DD1 had 6 ear infections in less than 9 months before getting tubes placed. 2 of those infections took a round of omnicef followed by a round of the z-pack before they cleared up.

DD2 had 5 ear infections in 6 months before her tubes. Her first went away quickly with omnicef, but infections 2 through 4 each took 2-3 rounds of meds to clear up and came back to back - we'd go through 2 or  one cleared up and 10 or so days later we'd be back in the pedi's office with a new one.  

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Yep! DS got tubes for this very reason. Also the constant collection of fluid was causing problems with his hearing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yep, us too.  Being labeled "chronic" gets you tubes.  Same thing just happened with my nephew.  Tubes was the best thing that ever happened to my DS's health.  Don't be worried.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We had that issue and DD1  had constant fluid in her ears for 4 - 4.5 months.  She wasn't on antibiotics the whole time, but most of it she was.  It was such a pain!  Thankfully she wasn't that uncomfortable!   We ended up going to an ENT and as soon as he heard how long she's had the fluid and looked in her ears he immediately said for us to get tubes.  

Knock on wood, but since May of 2012 she hasn't had a single ear infection and hasn't had a bad cold or even a cold last much longer than 2-3 days!!  The tubes were the best thing for her!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

don't worry too much yet, most ENT's won't recommend tubes unless the ear infections are persistant (ours said it'd have to be >6 a year for her to put in tubes)

fluid on the ears for a long time isn't an issue in itself - my dd had that for a good year and then it went away as she grew older

However yes, some antibiotics are less effective. My dd was on antibiotics when her ear infection spread to the bone behind her ear (mastoiditis) and we ended up in the hospital on iv antibiotics. If you dc's ear sticks out at all or looks swollen behind it - get to the ER! My dd lost her balance and had a sticky out ear - at the time I didn't know what that meant.

Anyhow, GL - hopefully the new antibiotics will help!!

• Options

We've definitely been there.  DD had one ear infection when she was younger, then got one back in September.  It came back a week later.  The second round of antibiotics never cleared it, so we did the antibiotic injections (which are horrible, sorry!).  At that point we were already had an appointment with an ENT for adenoid issues.  When we had our appointment they found thick fluid and hearing loss, so tubes were recommended along with adenoid removal. 

GL!  No fun at all, but tubes do help.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"