Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Non dairy milk options

Hi there. So my lo has been on rtd alimentum since she was 3 months old. We tried giving her whole organic cows milk (mixing into her formala slowly) little over 3 weeks ago. She became super congested then starting having this odd dry hacking cough (not a ton but few times a day) once I got her up to 1/2 cows milk. Her sleep sucks she wakes up crying her head off like 5-10 times a night. It was super ridiculous. So I dropped the milk and kept her on straight formula for now so I can reseach other options. Incase anyone is wondering she will turn 1 on Friday.

Anyway since dropping the cows milk nasal conestion has cleared ALOT. Oh rash that everyone kepy saying was from teething was gone two days later yet she's still teething ;) Sleeping through the night excpet last night. I accidently gave her half a pouch of food that had dairy it in. Yup...up crying on and off from 2am. This is getting long sorry. Basically we've seen major improvement since being off cows milk.

So here is my concern. She is little. Only weighs about 17.5 pounds wears 9 months clothes mostly and eats but is very picky and doesn't eating alot. When people see her they often think she is about 8-9 months just to give you an idea. We are small too though daddy is only 5'6 and I am 5'3.

So I was leaning towards almond milk but the calories are low. I won't do soy. She likes her fats like egg yolk, dariy free butter, avocado things like that so that's good. She like turkey and cod. But I did like the looks of hemp. I have no clue how it tastes though. Trying to weigh out my options so if anyone has any sugestions, opinions let me know. I would go with an unsweetened version and looks like hemp has 70 calories so 30 more than almond. I know there is cococut too but don't know a ton about the vitamins it offers etc...

Follow Me on Pinterest Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Non dairy milk options

• My niece has a dairy allergy like you are describing. She gets phlegm, a rashy face/dry skin on face, is very fussy, etc. They have had a lot of luck with goat's milk.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I bought some hemp milk recently to try because I am unsure if I will be giving my daughter whole cow's milk when she turns 1 in April. It is pretty good! It tastes a lot like soy milk to me. It has Omega 3 and Omega 6 too. I tried the "Tempt" brand.
  • Loading the player...
  • My daughter is allergic to dairy and soy.  She breaks out in hives and has terrible eczema when she's exposed to even minute amounts of either.  She sees an allergist, who recommended that when we wean off formula we try Rice Milk.  However, he also said that Rice Milk doesn't have enough protein, so he's having us see a nutritionist.  We see the nutritionist on Monday, and will discuss Almond milk, Coconut milk and Hemp milk too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We are having similar issues and had an actual blood draw to see what kind of allergy our daughter has with milk.  Turns out, based on the blood draw, she doesn't have an allergy at all!  I think her skin begs to differ, though, as she breaks out in a rash all over.  We have been doing soy formula, but I don't want to do soy milk because she should not be having so much soy.  Still looking into alternative and hoping she outgrows this "allergy", but our pediatrician said definitely no almond milk, it does not have enough protein.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"