Special Needs

Discipline book for child with speech delay?

DS is very good-natured typically, and he thinks everything is hilarious. Time out is hilarious. A firm "no" is hilarious. Yesterday he pretended to smack his own wrist and say "No! No!" when I was telling him not to fling his poopy diaper. (DH and MIL occasionally smack his wrist when he misbehaves, which I don't like and don't think works. The kid doesn't even really cry when he gets an IV put in.)

He is 3 with gross motor and speech delays (epilepsy, hypotonia/CP). Can anyone recommend a method or book? He needs to learn to stop doing something when told to stop, for his own safety.

Re: Discipline book for child with speech delay?

• We just started 1, 2, 3 Magic and it is working for my daughter. Where are you doing the time outs? My daughter doesn't care if she's in time out if I am in the same room, but being alone in her bedroom is a really good motivator for her. 
    Anniversary Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I like 1-2-3 Magic in general. DD1 has a speech delay as part of her ASD and it worked like a charm for us, both with her and with DD2 who is NT (although she fights it a lot more than DD1 did). 

It really made me realize how much I was jabbering at her, trying to explain or head off behavior, and it's so much simpler to just say "that's one" and have her take some responsibility for figuring out her reaction vs. me bombarding her with words. 

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • Loading the player...
  • OK, that's what I needed. Thank you, ladies! :)
  • This is a document summarizing the basic method in 123 Magic.
    https://www.hitinc.org/uploads5Cresources5C8805C123magic.pdf
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"