1st Trimester

Can I eat sushi?

I know I can't eat sushi that has raw foods in it obviously, but what about something like a california roll? it has crab (cooked crab) and avocado in it, nothing raw at all, could I eat that? I'm about 6 weeks along give or take and my first prenatal visit until March 20, but my BFF is coming home on Spring Break next week and it's our ritual to go get sushi together when she's in town.

Re: Can I eat sushi?

• yes anything that has the crab is safe. you can also have tempora.
  • You can eat any sushi that either doesn't have fish or has cooked fish in it.

Married my love 8-25-12 TTC #1 September 2012. BFP 2-2-13. DS born 10-16-13.
    TTC #2 in December 2014. BFP 12-31-14. Expecting a September baby!
  • Loading the player...
  • Actually, you can eat raw sushi IF you know the place, trust it, and feel that they have good practices about cross contamination. I eat raw sushi once a month. I know the place is spotless, those that prepare the items to be eaten are impeccable. Its delicious. 

You can eat any fried roll, or veggie roll. 

The concern is food poisoning and cross contamination. Personally, the sickest I've ever gotten was from a well done burger with spinach on it. 

I even got sick eating fried chicken last pregnancy. Cooked does not always mean that you won't get sick. You take a gamble eating things you haven't prepared yourself. Sometimes you can even prepare it yourself and get sick. 

Don't worry so much. Eat your food and do your best.  

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• thanks for all the info! this is my first time around the block and I have absolutely no idea what to expect and what I can/can't do and things have changed since my mom was last pregnant and I'm the first of my close friends to get pregnant, also I don't want to bug the crap out of the receptionist at the OB/GYN's office calling every other day.  It's still sinking in with me, my husband is fully on board and is excited but I want to take a HPT everyday just to double check lol.
  • imagePrimRoseMama:

Actually, you can eat raw sushi IF you know the place, trust it, and feel that they have good practices about cross contamination. I eat raw sushi once a month. I know the place is spotless, those that prepare the items to be eaten are impeccable. Its delicious. 

The concern is food poisoning and cross contamination. Personally, the sickest I've ever gotten was from a well done burger with spinach on it. 

I even got sick eating fried chicken last pregnancy. Cooked does not always mean that you won't get sick. You take a gamble eating things you haven't prepared yourself. Sometimes you can even prepare it yourself and get sick. 

Yep my Dr told me this too! Also Fish is a great source of omega 3's & dha. You just need to do what feels safe for you. I have already had a spicy tuna roll this pg. nomnom

Bison (FCS) beats Big 12 Champs Kansas St (24-21)!!!
    imageimage

• imagePrimRoseMama:

Actually, you can eat raw sushi IF you know the place, trust it, and feel that they have good practices about cross contamination. I eat raw sushi once a month. I know the place is spotless, those that prepare the items to be eaten are impeccable. Its delicious. 

Yep.

You should limit fish like tuna due to the mercury risks, but sushi is fine.

You are more likely to get a foodborne illness from cantaloupe or spinach or ground beef.

Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • Well, technically you can eat, drink, expose yourself to, and ingest anything you want - you're a free adult! These are very personal decisions and ones you need to feel confident about. For me, this means doing lots of research and gathering opinions from a well-rounded collection of professionals. Just because some pregnant woman somewhere did or didn't do something during her pregnancy doesn't mean it applies to all of us. There will always be the freak outlier cases that serve as scary reminders - like women who drink and smoke throughout pregnancy and have healthy babies, or the cautious woman who ate a bite of a hot dog and got listeria. You have to decide what level of risk is tolerable for you.

I have decided not to drink alcohol during the entire pregnancy, only get ultrasounds if medically necessary, and only use medications/pain relievers when absolutely necessary (and not during birth). I have eaten sushi a few times already (including sashimi) and plan to throughout my pregnancy. I make choices about the establishment and the types (avoiding high-mercury fish) that I feel comfortable with.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagePrimRoseMama:

Amen. 

• All of my doctors have told me that you should stay away from fish that is high in mercury. But, if you have a sushi place you trust and have never gotten sick from, you can have it. Eating sushi isn't going to hurt your child. You might get food poisoning, but it doesn't actually harm your baby. I had sushi, the real stuff a few times with my last child.But you should do what you are comfortable with.

I'd like to mention that my doctors are voted in the top of their field in San Diego, CA so I tend to trust what they tell me.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagePrimRoseMama:

This. I just enjoyed some wonderful sushi last night. It hit the spot. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I had Shrimp Tempura 2 days ago! it was fully cooked. I wasn't sure about the eel sauce tho... If you havent tried crunchy tempura shrimp sushi, TRY IT! Mmmmmmmm
    I was actually wondering about Calamari, If its no-no or what.
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Be sure to check the list of which fish are safe.

https://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/fishmercury.htm

"Mercury Levels in Fish: Highest Mercury/ AVOID Eating

• Marlin
    • Orange roughy
    • Tilefish
    • Swordfish
    • Shark
    • Mackerel (king)
    • Tuna ( bigeye, Ahi)

High Mercury / Eat no more than three 6-oz servings per month

• Sea Bass (Chilean)
    • Bluefish
    • Grouper
    • Mackeral ( Spanish, Gulf)
    • Tuna (canned, white albacore) See tuna chart below
    • Tuna ( Yellowfin)

Mercury Levels in Fish: Lower Mercury/ Eat no more than six 6-oz servings per month

• Bass ( Striped, Black)
    • Carp
    • Cod ( Alaskan)
    • Croaker ( White Pacific)
    • Halibut ( Pacific and Atlantic) Jacksmelt ( Silverside)
    • Lobster
    • Mahi Mahi
    • Monkfish
    • Perch (freshwater)
    • Sablefish
    • Skate
    • Snapper
    • Sea Trout ( Weakfish)
    • Tuna (canned, chunk light)
    • Tuna (Skipjack)

Lowest Mercury/ Enjoy two 6-oz servings per week

• Anchovies
    • Butterfish
    • Catfish
    • Clam
    • Crab (Domestic)
    • Crawfish/crayfish
    • Croaker
    • Flounder
    • Haddock
    • Hake
    • Herring
    • Mackeral (N Atlantic, Chub)
    • Mullet
    • Oysters
    • Perch (ocean)
    • Plaice
    • Salmon ( Canned, Fresh)
    • Sardines
    • Scallops
    • Shad ( American)
    • Shrimp
    • Sole
    • Squid ( Calamari)
    • Tilapia
    • Trout (freshwater)
    • Whitefish
    • Whiting

Chart obtained from the Natural Resource Defense Council (NRDC); data obtained by the FDA and the EPA"

Me 33. DH 32. TTC Since 6/2011. 12/2012-m/c, CP. DH: MFI. CCT/HSG/day 3 blood work-all nl. IVF#1 ER- 8/7/12, ET- 8/10. beta 8/25 neg, I did not respond as expected. AMH: 0.88. IVF#2 BCP-10/19. Micro flare Lupron-Nov: It's a bust. IVF#3 Planned for Feb '13 with a long lupron protocol ON OUR OWN!!! BFP- 1/12/13. Yay! EDD 9/18, now EDD 9/25
  • imageFetish:
    I had Shrimp Tempura 2 days ago! it was fully cooked. I wasn't sure about the eel sauce tho... If you havent tried crunchy tempura shrimp sushi, TRY IT! MmmmmmmmI was actually wondering about Calamari, If its nono or what.
    Why would calamari be different than shrimp tempura? Same concept, right?
    SQUIRREL!!!

• jorkz821-
    No, Not really. Shrimp and Squid are two different things. I didn't know if (Squid calamari) is bad for me or not. lol.
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • imageFetish:
    jorkz821 No, Not really. Shrimp and Squid are two different things. I didn't know if Squid calamari is bad for me or not. lol.
    lol. Calamari is fine.
    SQUIRREL!!!

• imageFetish:
    jorkz821-
    No, Not really. Shrimp and Squid are two different things. I didn't know if (Squid calamari) is bad for me or not. lol.

Oh. 

Livian Elizabeth and Alayna Marjorie!  On their way to 3!
    Lilypie - (mtvk)
    Lilypie - (WdLV)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"