February 2012 Moms
Options

? for those who practice FAM or NFP

When you are TTA, what are you supposed to consider your fertile window?  When don't you have sex, or do you use other protection?  How many days before you expect O, and how many days after?  

I know, I could get Taking Charge of your Fertility and learn all about it, but I'd just like a little crash course :)  
BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

Re: ? for those who practice FAM or NFP

• Options
    I was wondering this same stuff the other day and that's why I asked on FB haha. I am just going to chart because I like to and I think DH and I are going to use condoms during my fertile window.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 

BFP #1 6-8-11 EDD 2-19-12. DD born 2-3-12 via induction due to pre-e.
    BFP #2 9-7-13 EDD 5-22-14. It's a GIRL! DD#2 is on her way.
  • Options
    My O is unbelivably predictable. We make sure to use protection 5 days before and after. We also just completely avoid sex on O day. This might be a bit overkill, but better safe than sorry. We mean to use protection the other days of the month, but sometimes we forget.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    212 Facebook Admin.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagelancyjo:
    My O is unbelivably predictable. We make sure to use protection 5 days before and after.nbsp;We also just completely avoidnbsp;sex on O day.nbsp;This might be a bit overkill, but better safe than sorry. We mean to use protection the other days of the month, but sometimes we forget.
    Mine is predictable too, that's why I wanted to ask. We decided to just stay off BCP, and I won't temp, but I am always so predictable I think we can avoid it until we start TTC this summer. I just wasn't sure if people do 5 or 7 days before, and how many days after. I must have missed the post about this on FB the other day.
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Options
    Oh and we are only avoiding because H doesn't want a holiday baby or a similar bday to Lucia, so if we accidentally get pregnant it's not a big deal.
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Options
    imageninthgirl:

Any time you see fertile CM (watery or eggwhite), you either use protection or avoid, depending on whether you are talking about FAM or NFP.  I've also heard a rule of 5 days before, if you know your signs well or have a very regular cycle.

Wait for 3 days after a temperature spike to have ovulation confirmed.  A site like fertility friend won't even mark ovulation until that 3rd day.  You do have to be a bit careful with temperatures if you are sick, because that can also cause a temp spike that looks like ovulation but isn't.

All of this. When I was TTA, I would lengthen/pad all of my windows just in case. So I would probably avoid for like a full 10 days or so around ovulation, just to be extra safe. Also like PP said, the fertile CM is the main sign. If you can confirm you O'd by temping, you might be in the clear after that as well.
  • Options
    I don't know what FAM is but I use NFP I think. We use a 3 day before and 3 day after rule. I get bloating and cramping and it comes on my 14th day of cycle. Some say you should use more but from experience we could probably do 2 days and be safe (that is what I did before Alexander. I think it is going to be hard when we TTC because I will know exactly when we should DTD
  • Options
    3 days!?! I thought you all were going to say 7 days before O or something. 3 would make me nervous can't sperm live for up to 5 days?
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Options
    imageMollySm:
    3 days!?! I thought you all were going to say 7 days before O or something. 3 would make me nervous can't sperm live for up to 5 days?
    LOL yes. This is how people get KU using FAM and then complain that it doesn't work!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"