Attachment Parenting

co-sleep vent

So I have been co-sleeping with my DD since we got home and it's been great, we both sleep well. My husband was admitted to the hospital thursday with clots in his legs and lungs. First three nights we were in a small room with just a recliner and his bed, which meant dd and I slept on the recliner. (I didn't want to leave my husband and I kept her in the room to keep the germs away).

They moved us to a bigger room after the 3 days, so they got a bed for me too. 4th night DD and I slept together in the bed no problem. Then last night the 5th night at 2:00am  nurse woke me up and told me DD had to sleep in a bassinet and brought one in. I told her we slept together the last 4 days and nobody said anything. After I put her in the bassinet I just cried. I was so sad, so the rest of the time I slept at the edge of the bed with my hand on her belly. I felt like they took my baby away from me, just had to vent.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: co-sleep vent

• I'm so sorry. Did LO sleep ok? I have to admit, I would have waited until the nurse was gone and put her back in with me. Heh...

It is probably hospital policy. You can try telling the nurse that you understand and are aware of the policy, but that you will sleep with LO anyway, and that you take full responsibility for her safety. They might have a waiver you could sign? I bet the nurse is worried about liability.
    imageimage
  • Eh.  I'd just sleep with a boob out.  Then when they come in you can claim you were breastfeeding and fell asleep if they say something.  Or just pop breast in baby's mouth when they walk in. ;)  I'm sorry your husband is ill.  That must be really hard with a new baby too.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Agree with PP - it's probably hospital policy.  When I had DS, the nurse specifically told us that if she saw either of us sleeping with him then she would immediately remove him and take him to the nursery.  This was before I even knew I was going to co-sleep, which didn't happen until about 2 weeks at home, so I'm assuming it must happen a lot at the hospital.  Enough that they have a policy.  Definitely a liability issue for them.

So sorry to hear about YH.  I hope he has a quick recovery!  Hang in there!

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• I'm sorry. Its the weirdest feeling ever when your used to sleeping with LO in your bed and then they don't for a night.

I don't understand how the hospital can tell you how you ad your child have to sleep, I know they had odd rules at a lot of them for the babies safety (they had a no holding the baby while walking rule when I had K) but that just seems really extreme to me. I think I would have just waited for the nurse to leave, then put LO back in bed with me.

• I'm sorry about your DH and I completely understand about being sad! I would be too!

Our hospital has a policy against bed sharing as well. The reason for not allowing it is because the hospital is not like your home. You are in there for a reason and your stress, health, etc. are off. Not to mention the beds are smaller, mattress are different and if you're in a bed with rails, babies can get lodged between the mattress and the railing.

I know that it seems improbable, especially when you do it safely, but hospitals can't trust that all families are doing it safely. Our hospital had an incident last summer, in which a baby died and now it's not allowed unless the baby is on a monitor (and because your daughter isn't a patient, they can't put her on a monitor).

It's a shame that the mere idea of bed sharing is such a no-no in hospitals and in the medical community. My coworkers would balk at the fact that I bed share with my daughter. Needless to say, it's one of the areas in which I'm planning to keep my mouth shut.

Anniversary g
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm sorry about your DH, hope he gets better soon.

When I had DD and still in the hospital I fell asleep with her in my arms. I just kept the TV on, I siad I fallen alseep watching it. At the time I had ne idea we would bed share. But DD had been in the NICU the first two nights and I didn't want to put her down. I had a lot of people comment and tell me how unsafe I was bed sharing with DD when she was so little, but it was our choice and it felt right. I would have probably brought baby back into bed with me when the nurse left too, as PP mentioned.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"