Health & Exercise
Options

How long after baby...

I know you have to wait until you're fully healed and ready to start exercising after labor. Can anyone tell me what a reasonable time expectation is for getting a nice, toned body? 

i had a flat stomach and only wanted to tone before pregnancy but might have gained a little more than i wanted in my arms and thighs during pregnancy. 

Is 6 month way too soon to be where I want to be? 1year? Kinda worried about all that extra skin.  

Anniversary Pregnancy Ticker

Re: How long after baby...

• Options
    I lost all the baby weight within the 1st month DS was born, just from breastfeeding and going on a few walks. I was happy with my weight pre-baby and was also just exercising to tone and maintain. As you can see from my ticker, DS is almost 1 and I am still dealing with the extra skin issue. It's getting better, slowly but surely. I think the biggest thing is that you have to be motivated and patient. It likely won't happen overnight like you see with celebrity moms. But if you are committed it will happen eventually!
    One direction photo: One Direction gif onedirectiongifmacarenaey_zpsbdaf903f.gif
    DS born 3.12 
    DD born 7.14
  • Options
    It is going to depend on how much you gained. I gained 25 lbs and it was all baby. I was pretty close to 'normal' again within a few weeks and completely normal within two months. That probably isn't typical, but it isn't unheard of either.

Duke's House: Eating and Running with the Big Dog in Chennai: eatrunbrit.com

imageimage

2010 Race PRs:

5K - 24:57 10M - 1:28:20 13.1M - 1:57:29 26.2M - 4:28:29

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    6 months is a reasonable goal to get back to your old shape. You can start with some light exercise right away if you feel up to it but if is usually recommended to wait 6 weeks before beginning a program. I injured myself a few times in the first couple of months the relaxin hormone will be in your body for a while. So you don't want to push yourself.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  
  • Options
    I gained way too much for my frame (about 40 lbs) and was down 45 by 6 months with visible abs.  I breastfed, did the 30 day shred, then body revolution (all half hour workouts) and lots of stroller walks.   It was a lot of work, but do-able.  I am on track to gain much less this go around and have kept up weight lifting, so hope it is easier!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

6 months is about right. That's how long it took me to get back into pre-baby shape last time. I am working out all through this pregnancy and paying extra attention to oblique/core muscle strength so that tightening it all back up will be easier. I am going for a 2nd C-section, so staying in great shape until the surgery is really important. It will offset those first few weeks of sedentary recovery.

As for when you can get back to your work out, you should ask your OB and then do what feels right for your body.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"