Toddlers: 24 Months+

temper tantrums?

my 2.5 year old wakes up from his nap more often than not crying. and lately he whines/cries for at least 30 minutes. crying saying he wants something but then when you try to give it to him he screams and cries more. it is not a tantrum because he isn't getting his way or because he wants something in particular but more of just a screaming fit for no reason. today we had to actually give him his first real time out in his room alone and it calmed him but i think it was because he was so shocked to be alone? does anyone else have a child who constantly wakes crying? but this ONLY happens after nap. he wakes up happy and goes to bed happy as a clam every morning/night. help!

Re: temper tantrums?

• DD has always had a hard time waking up from sleep.  mornings aren't much of a problem these days, but she needs a good 30 minutes to transition awake after her nap.  every day.  and yeah, any small thing not going right (and "right" to a semi-asleep toddler's brain is anyone's guess!) causes a meltdown.

I just try to keep to a very consistent routine, give her lots of time to lead the way, and make few straight-out demands to get started with. 

IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • does she wake up crying though (almost inconsolable) or just crabby? my son cries and throws a tantrum as soon as i put him down...full on screaming rolling on the ground fit. usually if we ignore it and go about our business he will snap out of it but lately it seems to be getting worse. thanks for responding!
  • Loading the player...
  • She generally doesn't wake up crying, but if I leave her room without carrying her (and she wants me to carry her), she will melt down.  If I've picked her up and try to put her down (even for a good reason, or just briefly), she will usually melt down.  Or if I do something else that she doesn't like, or say something that bothers her.  She's not much of a tantrum-er, yet, and doesn't do the rolling on the ground thing, but she will do her own version of a meltdown.
    IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • he might be still asleep- have you tried when he wakes up trying to put him back down to sleep? or maybe he just needs that time to "wake up".

My daughter did that for awhile- she is 28 months now-  She has pretty much grown out of it but I attributed it to her still being tired and/or kinda still asleep. 

• My DD does this occasionally waking up from naps, I don't even consider it a tantrum, just waking up on the wrong side of the bed. If I take a nap, I do the same thing, I am grouchy when I get up:)

If she isn't crying I usually give her some time in her bed by herself to wake up. If I go in and she is in a bad mood I usually sit and hold her and do not say anything for a few minutes, I have also found that she is often thirsty so I will bring a sippy of water in, not say anything but it is there if she wants it. I usually find that letting her take the lead until she wakes up makes it much. Not going to lie, I'm a bit jealous that this is your worst tantrumStick out tongue

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DD almost always wakes up crying. Always have. We just make sure to dedicate a half hour or so to post sleep cuddles as she transitions to being awake. 

We joke that she takes after DH.  

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My DD does this. Sometimes when she wakes up from a nap sometimes just because. Usually after 5pm. DH and I are away right now and my mom just called and told me that DD did this last night at dinner. She said DD wanted a spoon so my mom brought her one and she got so upset and started crying. Even though my mom brought her what she had asked for. So she tossed it back at my mom and melted down. This happens almost daily with my DD and she only gets more upset as I began to try and understand what is wrong. God forbid you ask her whats wrong. lol
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"