1st Trimester
Options

Newly Knocked Up

I just found out I was pregnant late Saturday night. I was looking at my "to-do list" on here and it was saying that I am past due to make an OB appt. (I'm 4 weeks 4 days). Is it not too soon? Mama friends told me that you're supposed to go around 8 weeks? Or does it take that long to get an appointment? Did you guys interview a whole bunch of doctors? I know I prefer a female and which hospital I want to deliver at (NOT the one 45 mins away). Anyway, I just feel like it's fast. Thoughts?

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
Married July 2010
DC #1 Oct 2013
DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Newly Knocked Up

• Options

If you haven't had any previous pregnancy related complications and are in good health, you're probably fine. I'm sure you are already taking a PNV and eliminating caffeine and alcohol.

My doc won't see me until 8 weeks, but I did call around 5-6 to get it calendared. In the meantime I am interviewing midwives and expect to transfer care to one after my first u/s with the obgyn. You can change providers at pretty much any point (probably gets tougher in later weeks) - so do what you need to do and interview as many people as you need and visit the different hospitals, birth centers, etc. you have access to (many have monthly mat. ward tours). I ended up deciding I don't want to deliver at the hospital closest to making after taking a tour there.

• Options
    imageOrangeGrove:

If you haven't had any previous pregnancy related complications and are in good health, you're probably fine. I'm sure you are already taking a PNV and eliminating caffeine and alcohol.

My doc won't see me until 8 weeks, but I did call around 5-6 to get it calendared. In the meantime I am interviewing midwives and expect to transfer care to one after my first u/s with the obgyn. You can change providers at pretty much any point (probably gets tougher in later weeks) - so do what you need to do and interview as many people as you need and visit the different hospitals, birth centers, etc. you have access to (many have monthly mat. ward tours). I ended up deciding I don't want to deliver at the hospital closest to making after taking a tour there.

Yeah, unfortunately, while I live "by" Kansas City, there is only one hospital near me and some of the OBs deliver at a hospital around 45 mins away which I think is crazy esp. not knowing how fast I will deliver and things like that. I have heard that the hospital here (and is like 5 mins from my house) is excellent, so I am happy knowing that and will for sure go tour it.
    Yep, I am taking my PNV and am alcohol and caffeine free.

Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    the practice i go to sees pts for first appt between 8-10 weeks. i called and booked my appt the day after i got my bfp. you can call early to make an appt since some places get busy. 
  • Options
    With my experience, I "scheduled" my first oB appt around 5 weeks, and they told me that I didn't need to come in til I was around 8 weeks. I've heard other women come in as early as 4 weeks, I think it depends on the doc. I  had the worst time finding a oB GYN I basically went off of my insurance doc list and the phone numbers were way off! My best guess is ask around, my mom is a nurse so I kinda had an advantage with that. But I would ask those who already have had children and there experience with there oB GYN. 
  • Options
    I live in KC and I went to Heartland Women's Health at NKCH. I went in for my confirmation of pregnancy and first OB appointment at 5 weeks. I don't think it was typical, though.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options

I always try to do doctors appointments a month ahead of time... Doctors get busy fast. lol

I have a group of OBs in my practice, 2 men, 3 women... I have to see them all since you never know who is going to be on call when the baby comes 

Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
    The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
    imageimage
  • Options

I'm in Canada so our healthcare is a bit different.  With us (in my province) your family doctor follows you until about 26 or 28 weeks then your OB sees you.  You family doctor lets you pick your OB around 10 or 12 weeks, they send a referral to the OB of your choice and then you get a letter back with your first appt in your 3rd tri.

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
    My BFP Chart
    || Ovulation Calendar image #1 BFP May 24/2012 - EDD Jan 21/2013 - M/C May 31/2012 #2 BFP Feb 5/2013 - EDD Oct 16/2013
  • Options
    I'm choosing to wait until 8-10 weeks. I feel like early appointments/ultrasounds cause a lot of worry. I'm a SAHM with a husband with a crazy schedule, so I don't have time to go to an appointment only to be told to come back in a week. I would rather wait and get a definitive answer. Go ahead and get on prenatals and treat your body well.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

Congratulations!

When I made my first appointment, they wouldn't even see me until I was about 7 weeks or so. 

I'd advise you to call your insurance provider for a list of in-network Ob-Gyns and you can go from there.  I went to a large female-only practice of 12 doctors so I knew someone from my practice would be on call to deliver my daughter, even if it wasn't my "primary" Ob-Gyn.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Congratulations!!

I did blood work at watch my Hcg levels and they set up my 1st appointment at that time. Every office is different....

Mother to Samantha Marion. DOB 2/7/09. She became our angel on 2/12/09...too soon! Missing my baby. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice, ladies!

Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

imagePrincessFiona9:
    I live in KC and I went to Heartland Women's Health at NKCH. I went in for my confirmation of pregnancy and first OB appointment at 5 weeks. I don't think it was typical, though.

Yay for being neighbors!! 

Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"