1st Trimester
Options

Brown spotting, no fetal pole, no hope?

Went to the dr today for an abdominal scan because of light brown spotting. I estimate myself to be aprox. 6 weeks and 6 days. Upon doing the abdominal scan the dr found the gestational sac ( measure about 2.1 cm, I think), thought he may have caught a glimpse of the yolk sac, but did really see anything in there. He said I may be a little off on my dates and it may be too early. He ordered bloodworm Nd will do another scan in 10 days. Has anyone experience anything similar? No cramping or anything with she brown spotting. Thanks.

Re: Brown spotting, no fetal pole, no hope?

• Options

Yes, I'm going through the same thing minus the spotting. I went for my first ultrasound, and the doctor is seeing a gestational sac and yolk sacs (I have multiples) but no heartbeats or fetal poles yet. 

Basically, the doctor thinks we should have seen something but said it's possible that my dates are off, so not to give up hope yet. I'm going for another U/S next week to see if anything changes. 

Don't give up hope! It's very possible that you ovulated later than you thought and it's just too early. I know it's easier said than done, but try not to stress.  

• Options

imagecholtbaby:
    Went to the dr today for an abdominal scan because of light brown spotting. I estimate myself to be aprox. 6 weeks and 6 days. Upon doing the abdominal scan the dr found the gestational sac ( measure about 2.1 cm, I think), thought he may have caught a glimpse of the yolk sac, but did really see anything in there. He said I may be a little off on my dates and it may be too early. He ordered bloodworm Nd will do another scan in 10 days. Has anyone experience anything similar? No cramping or anything with she brown spotting. Thanks.

Way too early so see a clear picture with an abdominal. Vaginally would give a much better image at this stage of your pregnancy. I went in a 6w 0d and it was zoomed in 2x to show us the fetus inside of the sac with a vaginal US. I also have brown spotting with no cramping. Because we had such a clear picture with that vaginal US we could see a very small SCH that is normal and will resolve on it's own. 

I'd ask for the wand next time you are seen. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am definitely asking for the wand next time. I was really surprised when he didn't use it today. It would have saved me a lot of grief and stress, I think.
  • Options
    Thanks. Honestly, the brown spotting did not stress me much at all, but when he saw the sack and no baby I really began to worry :
  • Options
    you could be earlier than you think. i have had spotting 3x (two times pink, one time brown) and everything is fine with me. i have mild cramping once in a while but that's normal. 
  • Options
    Brown spotting is totally normal, it's prolly left over from your previous period. If it turns bright red, then. Would raise concern, but bleeding doesn't always mean miscarriage. I've had bleeding and it's due to a blood clot where my placenta is attached to the uterus wall. Miscarriages will have cramping, blood and tissue coming out. No worries momma. 
  • Options

I went in for my first ultrasound when I thought I was 6 weeks 5 days.  They did a transvaginal ultrasound, and my doctor said she saw "the beginnings of a pregnancy" but really couldn't get clear images or measurements.  It turns out I was just 6 weeks exactly, and it was too early for her to see anything useful.

At my 9 week ultrasound, the doctor found what appears to be well-formed baby with a regular heartbeat.

Here's hoping your dates were just a little bit off, too!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Your dates are most likely just off - try not to stress! It's very common.

I had an early u/s done with each pregnancy at 6w6d abdominaly and everything was very clear.
    Brady (7.15.10) and Nolan (5.11.13)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"