Food Allergy

Soy Allergy questions

My 9 month old daughter is allergic to dairy and soy.  I'm still breastfeeding, and I'm committed to cutting out all dairy and soy from my diet.

I have the dairy part down, but I'm still learning about the hidden sources of soy.  It's in EVERYTHING!!  Anyway, for those of you who have gone through this, I have two questions.

First, the mayoclinic website says, "soybeans and peanuts contain common allergy-causing components, you may also need to avoid peanuts as well." If your child is allergic to soy, is she also allergic to peanuts?  I've actually been eating more peanut butter in an effort to soothe my craving for protein and sweets, but I'm wondering if I should switch to sun butter.  

Second, the mayoclinic website also says, "Some processed soy foods, such as soy oil or soy sauce, may not cause a reaction because processing removes certain allergy-causing proteins".  I've cut out soybean oil, soy sauce, soy lecithin, etc.  But it sounds like this may not be necessary.  Does anyone have a child who is allergic to soy but able to consume these products? I ask this very selfishly, as I am just dying for some Chinese or Japanese take out...  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Soy Allergy questions

• I have found that every LO is different. Some can tolerate more than others. 

My lo is fine with peanuts and I eat tons of chocolate peanut butter to satisfy my sweets craving.

She can also tolerate soy lecithin but I only eat it in very small amounts.

I still avoid soy sauce, soy protein, and soy flour. The only time I eat soy oil is when we get chipotle and their rice is tossed in soy oil and my lo hasnt had a problem with it, but I still aviod it most of the time just in case.

I actually just recently found out about coconut amines and it is a replacement for soy sauce  and I love it. I had been craving asian food as well and made fried rice and it was good and I just made pad thai with it and it was great.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • That is a tough one because every LO is so different.  And honestly, every allergiest will tell you something different too.  When we were told our allergies I was in utter shock--- eggs, wheat, all dairy, peanuts, tree nuts and SOY.  I asked "what can I possibly eat???".    The allergist actually said because SOY wasn't his serious allergen and that most people don't have horrible issues with it, that he could still have items with soy in them.  I of course didn't feed straight soy (like soy milk)--but things that it was in I didn't worry about.

So I honestly wouldn't worry too much about the soy--but again, that's me and I'm not dealing with your LO either.  If they are having major issues still, then yeah--maybe something to consider.  But it could also be something totally different--wheat, corn, eggs, etc.

As for peanuts---I vowed never again to touch peanuts in pregnancy or breastfeeding because of the allergies.  The allergist also looked at me like I should have already known that. ((????)).  So I actually found Sunbutter.  I HIGHLY recommend that stuff.  I think I have it in the blog and a link to amazon or something, I can't remember.  But it's awesome.  It's made from sunflower seeds--so it's not a peanut.  Most people are not allergic.  We use it in place of PB on everything, including sandwiches.  It's been a lifesaver.  It's all I'll eat now.

Plus--honestly, I kind of think it's more healthy for you because of benefits.  Peanuts truly aren't very healthy when you think about it.

• Loading the player...
  • imageSaltylove:

ETA: I'm assuming you mean intolerant as opposed to allergic? Did they have an anaphylactic reaction to consuming dairy and soy directly, or a GI reaction to dairy and soy in your diet while nursing? If they are allergic, disregard everything I just said, however based on your question I'm assuming you are dealing with milk and soy protein intolerance, rather than a true allergy (the terms, confusingly, are often used interchangeably when it comes to MSPI).

I understand the confusion - DD is ALLERGIC to soy and dairy, she breaks out in hives and is at risk for anaphylaxis (sp).
  • Hang in there Hun!  Cutting soy out is so frustrating.  If your not seeing improvement try checking your multivitamin.  Vitamin E can be made from soy.  I'm one of those really sensitive people.  I had to cut it out of all my lotions, soaps, & shampoos too.  (Don't go that drastic unless you talk to your Dr.)  I am able to eat soy-free peanut butter.  (Isn't it amazing how many brands of peanut butter have soy!?!?)  I use Coconut Secret Raw Coconut Aminos as a soy sauce substitute.  Its kind of sweet and not as salty.  Ive seen it at the Vitamin Shoppe & Kroger's organic section.  Good Luck!
    Me: 30, SAHW, diagnosed metabolic syndrome x, 1 fibroid, PFD from tilted r hip, chronic hip pain, soy allergy, IBS, sensitivities to corn, gluten, milk, aspartame. Blind in r eye (tumor & cataract) lexapro for depression & anxiety. DH: 31
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"