Toddlers: 24 Months+

LO's constant constipation... what should I do?

She eats lots of fiber and that doesn't seem to help.  It seemed to get worse around when she turned 2 years old.  She strains to poop and only poops little balls.  Any suggestions? I forgot to ask the pedi dr this at the last appt. since we were focused on some problems with my 8 week old newborn.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: LO's constant constipation... what should I do?

• How much water is she drinking? i would give her nothing to drink except water for a few days...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers natural miscarriages- 12/18/07 & 2/18/13 (AKA:KRISTA555)
  • Increase water intake, limit cheese. Try a little bit of prune juice. Also try fresh fruit: apples, pears are best, but also apricots, grapes, peaches plums.
    Loving Life being Brett's Mama! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We put miralax in LO's water cup every day. It's the only way to keep her poop soft.
  • Limit cheese, oats, bananas and increase water, any liquids really and lots of fruit
  • I find that cold apple juice sometimes does the trick for my LO.  I don't know what it is about it being cold, but it seems to work. 
  • I thought apples bind you?

My daughter has battled constipation since she was 2 months- we had to give her prune juice at 2 months.

Here is what works for her- baby spinach (she wont eat puried spinach if we do it ourselves) or we put the spinach in a quesadilla but she is onto us- its a pooping miracle- really is!  Pear juice (half water) regulary- daily.  Crasins and fig newtons- that is really the only cookie we give her.

And water on hand-  Oatmeal regularly for breakfast- every morning.  No rice products, no apples- only if going regulary will I give her apple sauce. 

• oh yeah no bannanas- we do strawberries.

Its a daily battle!  But I must say she has been going regularly for awhile now but I never stop my routine bc I never know when she will get backed up- she is 28 months.

• We have been using fiber powder for a few weeks and it is really helping. I add one tsp twice a day to milk or juice. I believe this is the step before Miralax. You can find it in the grocery store.
    imageimage
  • DD was on Miralax for awhile. It worked for her. Make sure you start with just half a cap full in her water or milk.

Hope she feels better soon.

• Nothing helped for LO except Miralax.  We give 1/2 a cap mixed with her milk every morning.  Our pedi told us it is very common at this age, and that it should go away when they are 4-5 years old.   
  • Miralax and 2 of those prune baby food containers every day for a month did it.  Now she stopped holding it and goes every other day by herself.

She is probably holding it because it hurts and onces she gets over that, it'll get better

imageNicole Hanna 11-23-2010
    Birthday
  • I highly recommend Garden of Life Raw Probiotics for kids. Has worked wonders for many children with digestive issues. Plus it supports their immune systems! https://gardenoflife.com/Products-for-Life/RAW-Digestion/RAW-Probiotics-Kids.aspx
    TTC since 10.07~Diagnosed with PCOS 08.08~4 rounds of clomid=BFN~Took a break from meds... Surprise BFP 03.29.09~ Natural m/c 04.06.09~50mg clomid & progesterone 06.09=BFN

Adoption made our wish come true 12.21.11~JEC 11.10.10

Surprise BFP on 03.26.16! EDD 11.28.16

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"