Special Needs

hypothyroidism

Does anyone have any experience with a kiddo with an under active thyroid? What symptoms did they notice, if any. What age was your kid when they were diagnosed? Did you notice any changes in them after you started them on medication? Like increased appetite or more active...

My son has had high TSH levels twice and we have been referred to an endocrinologist. He has a history of refusing the bottle since 4 to 6 months old. He still gains weight dispite only taking in half of the calories recommended. He is not very active. He looks pudgy, but is only in the 5 percentile for his weight for his age and 10 percentile for weight based on his height. He has hypotonia and is very delayed in speech and physically. He is about at a 6 month old level.

We have decided that it is g tube time unless he does have hypothyroidism and his eating improves with medication.

So I guess I really want to know if anyone thinks it is possible that he would improve eating if he starts thyroid medication?

BabyFruit Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: hypothyroidism

• My son has hypothyroid. Our pedi referred us to am endocrinologist when my son was 14 mos, because his height leveled on the growth chart. I never noticed any symptoms. He takes synthroid and we have blood tests every 6 months.
  • My son has hypothroidism and compromised immune system with speech delay

They watched his numbers since he had open heart surgery at three weeks old. The endocrinologist checks his levels every 5-6 months still. His on calcium carbonate and calcitrol. 

Baby #1 MC November 2007
    Baby #2 MC June 2008
    Baby #3 Born April 2009
    Baby #4 due date February 2015

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • My son has a condition that has hypothyroidism as a side effect because he has no TSH (or any hormone produced in the pituitary).  He started synthroid at 6 months old and has never shown any symptoms since his levels are stable (check every 3-4 months). 

Our Little Fur Family
    My Three Sons
    #1: 2.06 #2: 1.08 #3: 9.10

DS #3 diagnosed at birth with panhypopituitarism - lack of pituitary function. He is treated with thyroxine, hydrocortisone, growth hormone and testosterone.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"