Preemies

nipple shields

DD was born at 35 1/2 weeks. She is now 2 almost 3 weeks old. We've been trying to BF since she was born. In the hospital they had me using a SNS with a nipple shield. We are no longer using the SNS, but we are still dependent on the shield for feedings. How long should we need to use the shield? I would like to wean her from it for convenience sake, but every time I try to BF without it, she wants nothing to do with me. She takes EBM from a bottle like a champ though. I'm just not sure how long is too long to be using the shield or if it's something we're going to need to use as long as I'm BFing her. 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: nipple shields

• Thanks! the LCs worked with us while we were in the hospital, luckily she never had to spend any time in the NICU so we were only there a short time. I'm going to call and see if we can get in to see a LC sometime this week. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I waited until my DD hit her due date and then with each feeding tried without the shield. Every time she would still need the shield and then one day she just kept sucking without the shield and now she nurses like a champ. Your little one will get there, just keep trying!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • For us too...we just kept trying about once/day, and one day she got it.  It was frustrating but people on here said it would happen, and it did.
  • We used a ns until around my son's sue date. He was born at 31w5d and I hated the ns but I dealt with it. My best friend had a ft baby and is still using hers at 11 months. He won't nurse without it. Hopefully that won't happen to you but there isn't really a too long I guess. Best of luck!!
    imageimage

Our little hippo was as impatient as mom!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Hoping for a full 40 weeks!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Oh and it can help to get your milk going before you try without it. My son literally just rolled into my boob on the my Brest friend and latched out of the blue one day. We had been trying without the shield with no luck then we never used it again. So just keep at it but don't stress too much. It will happen!
    imageimage

Our little hippo was as impatient as mom!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Hoping for a full 40 weeks!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"